Will removing fermenter cause off flavors? Have family coming need help ASAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osborne

Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate milk stout on the 28th and fermented at 60-62 degrees using S-04. Sadly, at the moment the fridge my kegs are in is also a fermentation chamber. Its been almost week since fermentation and the krausen has already dropped and everything, would it make the yeast mad if i moved my fermenter to the basement floor which stays 68-70? I really don't want to risk getting off flavors, but I would like my family members to enjoy my current keg of beer...Which I'll need to put in the fridge soon...

I brewed a chocolate milk stout on the 28th and fermented at 60-62 degrees using S-04. Sadly, at the moment the fridge my kegs are in is also a fermentation chamber. Its been almost week since fermentation and the krausen has already dropped and everything, would it make the yeast mad if i moved my fermenter to the basement floor which stays 68-70? I really don't want to risk getting off flavors, but I would like my family members to enjoy my current keg of beer...Which I'll need to put in the fridge soon...

You should be fine. I think most say that the off-flavors you are worried about are developed early in the fermentation process. At this point, the bulk of the fermentation is complete (or has completed) so the warmer temp would help the yeast finish and clean up.

That is a perfectly good idea, and something I do occasionally to free up temp controlled space. The first few days are the most critical time for controlling your ferm temps (especially the first 48 hours), but once the yeast are finished eating or as they slow down you can raise the temperature somewhat (like going from 60-62 to 70) with no ill effects. I take my ales up to 70-74F after fermentation starts to slow to help them fully ferment.

Because I have I temp control, I've been letting mine rise after I'm close to FG. I'm in TX, in my garage. It's not best practice but I guarantee my last batch hit 90 before i bottled it. It's tasty. High 60's should be perfectly fine.

I opened up my fermenter today to rack in some chocolate covered coca nibs and I got a burnt rubber like smell? Idk if I messed up or it's still green beer?

I opened up my fermenter today to rack in some chocolate covered coca nibs and I got a burnt rubber like smell? Idk if I messed up or it's still green beer?

temps are 100% good
probably just co2 fermentation smells. I get a burning smell/sensation when i whiff c02 from fermentation.
that, or the damn rubber fairy was at it again. :pipe:

In this case, if it's bad, I'd blame it on wild yeast, not the temperature schedule you followed.

I went back and smelled again, I may have had my head down to far when I smelled the first time and the co2 was making me imagine a rubber smell (co2 was so strong it caused my eyes to start watering). And as I backed off and smelled it was more toasted/sweet smell. I think I just over worry (I hope).

temps are 100% good
probably just co2 fermentation smells. I get a burning smell/sensation when i whiff c02 from fermentation.
that, or the damn rubber fairy was at it again. :pipe:

Haha beat me by a second! I hope it's this.

Latest posts

Back