Will Nottingham handle 1.074 OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

By-Tor

Reaction score
Doing a wheat bock tomarrow and all I have is notty for yeast will it work for that high of an OG? 1.074- FG 1.017)

Should be fine, but it'd probably be a good idea to pitch two satchels of properly rehydrated yeast.

Mr. Malty says 1.3 11g packets of dry yeast. If you only have 1, you will be fine. I have done beers that size with 1 packet. Make sure you aerate well.

Mr. Malty says 1.3 11g packets of dry yeast. If you only have 1, you will be fine. I have done beers that size with 1 packet. Make sure you aerate well.

I only have one packet.Can more be added later?(to the secondary?)

Isn't a bock a lager? Just sayin'.

Anyway, Nottingham has a high alcohol tolerance so you'll be fine.

Isn't a bock a lager? Just sayin'.

Anyway, Nottingham has a high alcohol tolerance so you'll be fine.

For what it's worth the recipe says to ferment at 60-70F.I'll go about 65F,I know lagers are fermented cooler,is that the main difference in lagers?

For what it's worth the recipe says to ferment at 60-70F.I'll go about 65F,I know lagers are fermented cooler,is that the main difference in lagers?

The main difference is the yeast. Lager yeast bottom ferments at cool temps (50-55) while ale yeast top ferments at warm temps (65-70). A true bock is a lager and therefore would require lager yeast, although Nottingham can ferment cool and produces a very clean brew so it's not a bad choice if you can't lager.

I only have one packet.Can more be added later?(to the secondary?)
If you only have the one pack, just add that now and leave it alone. Keep in mind that with a high OG like that, it's going to take a long time to finish fermenting. Resist the urge to mess with it or rush it along. Next time you'll know to prepare a bit better, and probably keep 3 or 4 packs of Notty in your fridge for those OH-**** moments like this.

Lagers are fermented at much lower temperatures, and use a different type of yeast. Ale yeast are top fermenting, lager yeast are bottom fermenting.

Unless we're talking about a Steam beer, which is a lager fermented at ale temperatures.

I've had 1 pack of Nottingham take a 1.093 IIPA (with 2# of sucrose) to 1.004. It can handle it.

Latest posts

Back