Will my yeast still work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJArtanis

Reaction score
Hey, i pitched my yeast starter(80deg) into my wort(55deg) last night thinking that when the temp warms up it would start to ferment and it hasn't. the temp now is 66deg but it's only been 10 hrs since i pitch. Did i kill my yeast? do i need more? Thanks

Hey, i pitched my yeast starter(80deg) into my wort(55deg) last night thinking that when the temp warms up it would start to ferment and it hasn't. the temp now is 66deg but it's only been 10 hrs since i pitch. Did i kill my yeast? do i need more? Thanks

55 is a little cool but it'll work. No you didn't kill it. No you don't need to add more. I'd bet my brew pot that it'll be chugging away in the next 12-24 hours.

No you didn't kill the yeast. You may have shocked them with the cold wort and it may take them a while to wake up and get going. Or they may just be reproducing right now, gathering their strength before getting to work. If they don't seem to working in a couple of days, then you can check on them by taking a gravity reading. But, 99% likely that everything is fine.

Back