Will my hops even grow next year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
I may have RDWHAHB'd too much. After harvesting, I didn't do anything to the hop plants. I didn't trim or prune or anything, and figured I'd just do it "later" or after the first frost. Well, we've had well below freezing temps for 2 months now, and have had a foot of snow fall on them. I have them planted in half whiskey barrels (though they're plastic, so no drainage, had to carefully water/watch them).

Did I actually kill my hops? Should I do anything to save them? They were a first year Cascade and Mt. Hood. I'd hate for my laziness to have killed them

Well, next spring I would drill some holes in the bottoms of those barrels so I could water without worry. Taking care of undrained plants is a pain.

Honestly, the logic in planting the things in barrels (which I assume are aboveground) without moving them somewhere warm-ish in winter is questionable. Hops are deciduous, and die back to the root each year; they can handle not being pruned after frost (though it's not ideal, of course). Having all the soil around them frozen, with no refuge beneath the permafrost, would be my main concern. If they are by a house, it may be alright; otherwise they may perish in the winter cold.

Plant in the ground, and mulch in the autumn. Otherwise, move into a garage or shed for the winter.

Disclaimer 1: in spite of harsh conditions, plants can be quite tenacious. They can survive often in the absence of 'ideal practice' growing conditions. I wouldn't lose hope. Prune now, and look for growth in the spring. It may be delayed.

Disclaimer 2: I have not yet grown Humulus lupulus myself. I maintain an herb and vegetable garden, and have a biology degree. Make of this info what you will.

Yeah, the above ground and harsh temperature without the warmth of the soil itself is my main concern. I think I should just move them to my garage or something for now. I even got some cones from the Cascade in first year, so I'd really be sad to see it die for my own stupidity. Although given everything I've read about them, they are nearly indestructable.

Back