will more yeast starter decrease time in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsuhornb

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm getting ready to brew an imperial IPA and the recipe calls for something like 2 months in secondary. I think I've also heard though that pitching a strong starter yeast, and more of it, might decrease the time necessary for aging. Does anybody have any experience or advice relating to this?

Thanks!

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Yes, pitching the proper amount of yeast and controlling other fermentation variables like temperature control and oxygen greatly reduces, or eliminates, the need for extended aging. I recommend building your yeast starter to the amounts listed on yeastcalculator.com or mrmalty.com. When fermentation completes and the beer has had a few extra days to clean up any fermentation by-products, let the beer's taste guide your decision on aging time and the need to secondary, or not to secondary.

I'm getting ready to brew an imperial IPA and the recipe calls for something like 2 months in secondary.
A two month secondary for a IIPA does not sound right. IIPA's should have intense hop aroma and flavor. In two months this will begin to fade and you'll still need additional time for carbonation. Post the recipe and you may get better feedback.

Back