Will lactobacillus help this beer finish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully14

Reaction score
Hey all,
I recently brewed a Lambic using a recipe from BYO that's a Lindemans clone. I ended up with an sg of 1.044 and I pitched 2 packs of 1762. The fermentation started well, but stalled out at 1.020. The next step is to rack the beer on to some raspberries and peaches (2 separate 5 gallon batches), and add lactobacillus.
My question is, will the lacto help lower the fg in secondary on the fruit? Or, should i pitch some dry in the primary and give it more time before moving to secondary?

If you're adding lacto only it may, but could take a very long time. Lacto is pretty alcohol intolerant. Is there any reason you're not adding brett as a part of your sour culture? That would dry it out no problem.

Thanks for the reply.
This beer is one that my wife wanted to make. When she was reading about the cultures, she decided she wanted either lactobacillus or pediococcus. She's not a fan of brett beers she's had in the past, so she didn't want to use it. I'll see if she'd be willing to throw a bit of brett into it, but i'm not sure she'll want to.
We're planning on letting this sit for a year or so on the fruit and culture, i just wanted the gravity down to where i expected it to be before that. I tried to rouse the yeast yesterday, but so far there is no action.
Would pitching dry yeast help, or do you think that a year or so on the lacto would get it down enough?

If your choices are lacto or pedio, go lacto. Pedio is a little more alcohol tolerant but is notorious for diacetyl production and you won't have any brett to clean it up.
In my experience just dropping yeast on it doesn't do anything. Probably because the old yeast has used up most of the 02. If you have the means to, make a starter, aerate it well, and pitch it at high krausen.
Also looks like that Wyeast strain likes warmer temps. What temp is your batch at right now?

The area of the house that it's being stored is a fairly constant 68º-70ºF, so at ambient temp, it should be in that range.
My wife and I discussed it, and she's good with throwing some Brett in. We were going to do a mix of 1 packet of lacto per 5 gallons and split a packet of Brett between the 2 batches. Will that be enough to dry it out, or would it take a packet of Brett per to get it to finish?

Thanks for all the help, i really do appreciate it.

"It should". Brett is pretty aggressive yeast, but it's hard to say without knowing your recipe, volumes, etc.
You're definitely within range for the Abbey yeast but I find that most belgian yeasts benefit from ramping the temp. If you can I would try to get your fermenter between 75 and 80 and either roust that yeast or repitch. You may just be able to get it to fire back up.

Cool, i'm going to pitch some brett and lacto, but first i'll ramp up the temp and rouse the yeast. Hopefully that will get it going again. I have a couple of electric fermentation wraps, so i'll give that a shot.

Back