Will I have bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalHB

Reaction score
I have an Amber Ale kit in primary right now. Extract kit. Today is the 14th day in primary. Fermentation temp has been a steady 66-68 degrees. OG was right where it needed to be. So I have checked the FG 3 times in the last 4 days and all 3 readings have been the same.. 1.018, however, the instructions say the FG should be 1.014-1.016. With the FG being higher than the kit states, will I have bottle bombs if I bottle now?

Probably not. Your beer is pretty young and probably not cleared completely but your FG sounds like it's as low as it is going to get.

Longer is always better.

I can be a bit impatient though. Usually I put half in the fridge and leave half out. That way when its time to drink the last half, they've been out another 2 to 3 weeks.

Longer is always better.

I can be a bit impatient though. Usually I put half in the fridge and leave half out. That way when its time to drink the last half, they've been out another 2 to 3 weeks.

Three or four weeks is good for clearing and aging but if you don't have a pipeline, it's very hard to be patient and wait. If you absolutely can't stand it any longer, everyone will understand if you bottle at two weeks. :D

Ok.. so when if I have 48 bottle bombs in my girlfriends coat closet, will you come visit me at the hospital or even my grave? :) I have heard extract kits FG is a little higher then normal.. I think im gonna bottle in a few days and keep my fingers crossed because seriously, my girl will kill me.

Well if you do have bottle bombs and your GF kills you, we want pictures. Obviously, we're only asking for them to prosecute your GF, of course. Heh, and if you don't have 48 bottle bombs, we all want a beer. Not to mention the fact that if either of you has a fat sister. . . .

They won't explode. If your gravity is consistent and its close your just fine.

I've had 3 batches not hit the exact FG and none have exploded yet. Just don't put to much priming sugar in your mix and all will be well...

Throw away your hydrometer. USE THE FORCE LUKE. Feel, don't think, let go, trust your instincts. lol Personally, I would give it another week. I use the 1-2-3 method. One week Primary, Two weeks Secondary, and Three Weeks in the bottle. 10 days in a warm place, shake each bottle up, and then ten days in a cool place. Not refrigeration. I've never had a bottle bomb and never had a flat beer. Honestly I broke my hydrometer placing other equipment on it because I never used it and I never bought a new one. My buzz will tell me if I'm making enough alcohol in my brews. I cork my secondary carboys and release co2 by hand every day or two, not three or the cork will shoot out and hit the ceiling. With time, less pressure comes out and I know when they are losing fermenting strength and fizzling out. You got to have a sexy feel to brew beer. lol

It is very common for an extract brew to finish a few points high due to the non-fermentable sugars in the extract. Also, the yeast in extract kits are sometimes not as fresh or strong as it could be. If you were 10 points high, I would say don't bottle but you are not that far off. Wait a few more days or weeks if you are worried but I wouldn't get my panties in a twist worrying about bombs with your batch.

Throw away your hydrometer. USE THE FORCE LUKE. Feel, don't think, let go, trust your instincts. lol Personally, I would give it another week. I use the 1-2-3 method. One week Primary, Two weeks Secondary, and Three Weeks in the bottle. 10 days in a warm place, shake each bottle up, and then ten days in a cool place. Not refrigeration. I've never had a bottle bomb and never had a flat beer. Honestly I broke my hydrometer placing other equipment on it because I never used it and I never bought a new one. My buzz will tell me if I'm making enough alcohol in my brews. I cork my secondary carboys and release co2 by hand every day or two, not three or the cork will shoot out and hit the ceiling. With time, less pressure comes out and I know when they are losing fermenting strength and fizzling out. You got to have a sexy feel to brew beer. lol

Umm, well... About that... If it's working for you so far, great. Still, probably not the best advice to give a new brewer. Sort of like saying "don't worry about watching the road, or obeying the traffic signs. Just go with what you feel," to a teenager with their first car.

Umm, well... About that... If it's working for you so far, great. Still, probably not the best advice to give a new brewer. Sort of like saying "don't worry about watching the road, or obeying the traffic signs. Just go with what you feel," to a teenager with their first car.

Well said you crazy llama!

edit...I meant lazy llama. :D

Lol... I say, bottle it, wait a week, chill, then drink. Works for me in the past.

Well if you do have bottle bombs and your GF kills you, we want pictures. Obviously, we're only asking for them to prosecute your GF, of course. Heh, and if you don't have 48 bottle bombs, we all want a beer. Not to mention the fact that if either of you has a fat sister. . . .

hahaha...oh man, if I had 48 bottle bombs in her coat closet.. I would almost pay money to see her face and reaction. It would be sooooo priceless. If it happens and I make it out alive, I will do my best to get some pictures, for sure. About the fat sister...... cant help you there. I know a couple fat chicks I can probably hook you up with though :cross::eek: if thats your thing.

Thanks for the advice to a new brewer, guys. I appreciate it. Like I said, this is my first batch and I have a ton of questions. I will def be alot more comfortable with my second batch (which I plan on brewing right after I bottle my ale). Im gonna go ahead and bottle this wed. Thanks again.

Drivers who use two hand on the wheel are the ones most likley to have an accident. You gotta stay loose. Did the early Egyptians use a hydrometer to make beer? No. They developed a sexy feel. Hydometers are for nubes and those that are anal retentive.

Drivers who use two hand on the wheel are the ones most likley to have an accident. You gotta stay loose. Did the early Egyptians use a hydrometer to make beer? No. They created a sexy feel.

Do you still ride a horse & buggy to work, or drive a car? Use an inkwell for your quill when you write a letter, or write with a ballpoint pen, or even type it in your computer?

Point being, just because it used to be done a certain way doesn't mean you should still do it that way. If it works for YOU then great, however a new brewer should probably get a feel for his/her beer and follow the recommended best practices before using the force young padawan.

P.S. To the OP, if you're worried about bottle bombs then put your bottles in a double bagged trash bag in the closet.

Padawan. Thats from the new series of star wars films. That explains it. Your a nube yourself. lol
Cardboard box is way stonger than trash bags. BTW

I have had literally the exact same problem with a kit that estimated the FG to be between 1.012-1.014 and my beer also stopped at 1.018 and I bottled without any problems. It's been a few weeks and the beer is great!

Back