will growler cap hold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burro2882

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem bottling to a gallon growler? Im wondering if the cap will hold it all in under pressure.

why would the bottle explode? It seems plenty thick. Not saying i dont believe you im just wondering. I figured the cap would be the problem

bummer, i have a couple growlers lying around and dont have a capper and thought about bottling what doesnt fit into my kegs into a growler.

There are some flip top "growlers" made to withstand the pressure of carbonating beer but those brown jugs with screw tops are not.

If you did a search on growlers you would find a couple people that have done it successfully but if you will also find folks that discovered the hard way why it doesn't work. Glass shrapnel is not fun.

I have a few flip top growlers. They are like big grolsh bottles. I have used them when I ran out of bottles a few times with no problems

Couldn't plastic caps be used instead of the metal ones to bottle in growlers?
The idea being, if pressure gets too high, the plastic cap will fail before the glass bottle.

I've always heard all these same comments about growlers not being any good for bottling but a friend of mine has used regular growlers to bottle and had good success. I'm not sure what type of beer was in them originally though

I bottle-carb all the time in growlers.

i had one explode once, but it had a muslin bag with hops in it and i think it exploded when the sun came through the kitchen window and warmed it up.

Every time i've kept the growler in a dark place at a good temp, no problems.

Back