Will dogs bother with fresh hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou2row

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two labs and would like to try growing hops. I'm just worried they might try eating them (they tend to graze on grass like cows). Most stories are of dogs eating them discarded from the wort where they were sweetened.

Will they try to eat fresh ones?

That would probably depend on your dogs. Some dogs eat everything! Just remember, hops are poisonous to dogs and could cause some pretty serious health issues to them. If you are going to start growing, your best bet would be to block or fence them off so you wouldnt have to worry about the pups.

The poisoning is the reason for my concern. This is a hobby, but those two girls are my babies. I may have to see about finding a spot at work I could grow a few vines.

I have a dog and 6 bines at home in my backyard. I just made a cheap fence with some grade steaks and chicken wire. It's a bit of a pain getting in there and working the soil, but I figure better safe than sorry. She seems to keep out of them.

I have a 35lb daschund that will eat your buick if you let her. She however pays no attention to my hops, even while I was harvesting. Most animals know poison plants in the wild, the problem is when we boil them/ mix them with yummy grain. I personally think that is what causes the problem the yum factor from the grain, drowns out hte omg this is bad for me factor of the hops.

I live on a hop farm. 120 acres of bines, and during and after harvest, there are cones everywhere. Our springer is also a grass-grazer, but has shown no interest in hops. As a matter of fact, I've never seen any animal attracted to hops (excluding homebrewers). I agree that it's probably just discarded hops that are wort-soaked that are a problem.

My very chewy Golden Retriever puppy ignores my hops plants, which are unfenced, and goes over to the fence to chew the grass that grows there (which she then pukes). She has damaged them as she chased my son's Viszla, or my daughter's Great Dane, or both, through them. They broke a few mature bines at the base, and that might drive me to fence them. My prior old German Wirehair and my Cocker Spaniel also ignored them. They will grab tomatoes to play with as balls, but have not mouthed the hops at all. I think you are making a safe bet in planting them.

My dog loves ripping vines and roots out of the ground... He's a pretty bad ass gardener really. I don't have any hops growing so I can't give any personal experience but it seems that there is quite a bit of debate over just how toxic they actually are to dogs. I came across this article, http://rwcbeerclub.com/blog/?p=177 though, as you said, my dog's my baby too so I think I'd lean towards fencing them off rather than risking it.

There are deterrants you could buy, like sour apple spray. Try spraying this on a spot in the lawn the frequent and see if they avoid it. Or try making a vinegar/water sloution and test that. The vinegar will keep bugs from eating your hops as well. But it has to be diluted or it will burn your plants...learned that the hard way. My dog avoides my plants but I put up a small fence to deter him and neighborhood cats that like to poop in my gardens (that cat also poops in my daughters sandbox and anywhere else he wants..) also the hop flowers should be high enough away from them during bloom. This is my set up. We used cabinet knobs and string for training the hop bines and to support their weight while adding an artistic flair to the garden. The bush next to it is tomatos.

ForumRunner_20111103_092048.jpg

My lab mixes will graze on some young, lower hop leaves throughout the growing season without any ill effects but they don't touch the hops themselves (plus, they're hard to reach!). Have you ever tried to eat a hop--they are bitter as all get out! I think most animal react to bitterness as something to stay away from.

But the shoots and leaves are edible. In fact, as your hop yard gets well established, trimming some fresh hop shoots in the spring can be a nice side dish if you prepare them like asparagus.

But the shoots and leaves are edible. In fact, as your hop yard gets well established, trimming some fresh hop shoots in the spring can be a nice side dish if you prepare them like asparagus.

They're also delicious pickled!

My dog, the deer, rabbits and other assorted animals stay away from my hops. I planted some fennel and they were gone next day, same with Basil and most other stuff you'd eat. Only the Aphids like my hops.

I have also read that hops are poisonous to dogs. Something about their cardiovascular system, I believe.

If your dogs are diggers (mine are) then fence off the hops with some sort of wire fencing - and bury the bottome foot of the fencing, or attach and bury chicken wire, again about a foot deep. Dogs do not like digging into buried chickenwire.

Ensure you install your fencing with enough space so your hops can't start climbing the fence itself - the dogs will be able to chew the hops intertwined on the fence!

Years ago we took this one to Hunt and Field Training.... Now she thinks everything buried is hers....well last season she watched, from inside the house as my wife planted our new Cascade Rizomes

She clearly thought the Rizomes were hers.... ate 2 of the cascades in about 5 seconds after being let out ... left me the Centennials....we were scared

2011-10-08_13_14_34_PaperCamera.jpg

She had no ill effects of the Rizomes but we quickly transplanted the rest to the front yard.....

She's one of our girls ....wont take that chance again !!!!

Just an update on my hops and my 3' chicken wire fence I built to "protect" them from my dog. She decided it would be fun to jump the fence and dig my hops up. I came home and saw her muddy face and paws staring at me, go into the backyard and I see my hop garden. She dug several huge holes about 18" deep and destroyed 4 of the 6 plants that I had. That wasn't enough for her so she decided to pull down all the strings I had set up. This was my first season growing, so the year I spent establishing their root system just went to waste. I think I'm going to give up for now...my area isn't the best for growing anyways.

Moral of the story...built a higher fence!!

Or get rid of the dog. I'm at the point where I'm tired of getting rid of all the fleas they bring into the house. tired of her slobbering all over herself on my bed. Barking at me & alarming the whole house when I try to get into bed next to my wife. Damn psycho collie. She's the black one with the long legs,big feet for a chick.
She eats grass & stuff,so a hop garden is out for now. Need hops. Don't need dog. Must 86 dog.

I've heard it causes hyperthermia, the opposite from hypothermia. So the dog overheats from the inside because of the lupulin.

So I built my trellis behind my back fence in the open field, though I would have loved to landscape with them. But they didn't take off too well anyways...

Latest posts

Back