Will Diacetyl go away in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brickwalker

Reaction score
First off, I'm sure this has been asked 2 dozen times so I apologize but I cant seem to find my answer.
I brewed a batch of Bee Cave Rye IPA (link below) recently and long story short I ended up having to rack it way to early into the secondary to clear make room for another beer. I know this is a huge no no and typically I give my beers 3-4 weeks in the primary but this was an emergency situation. Anyways I think it was in the primary for about 7 days. My OG was 1.066 and FG was 1.012. I know I didnt give the yeast enough time to clear up the Diacetyl. So now I have a butter flavored IPA. There is a decent amount of residual yeast in the secondary so my question is will it clear up the diacetyl? Is there anything I can do to help it along?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bee-cave-brewery-rye-ipa-82451/

Thanks, and sorry once again if this has been asked 2 million times.

It might clean up a bit. I'd try raising the temperature about 5 degrees and gently swirl the fermenter to encourage the yeast to get to work. If that doesn't work, you can try repitching a starter.

I've done just that, but if it doesnt work can I do either of these options:
-Pitch a packet of dry yeast?
or
-Rack beer onto yeast cake?

I've done just that, but if it doesnt work can I do either of these options:
-Pitch a packet of dry yeast?
or
-Rack beer onto yeast cake?

neither will work. The problem is not a lack of yeast, there is plenty of them still in suspension. Your problem is to get the yeast to clean up that diacetyl. Only solution I see is pitching 1-2 quart starter at high karausen (search for krausening). I "fixed" many lagers that way

Pitching a packet of dry yeast will work. I have done it before when stirring up the existing yeast, etc. would not, and the beer cleaned up nicely.

Back