Will Brewers Yeast from nutrition store be eaten by active yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForeverBrew

Reaction score
I am making an Oatmeal stout and want to put some brewers yeast in it because I heard it's good for milk production in breastfeeding mothers. The idea is much like how some people say drinking a Guinness is good for milk production. Polysaccharides in the barley seems to stimulate prolactin which helps moms make more milk although the alcohol works against milk production.

I want to take it a step further and put brewers yeast in the beer and maybe some other supplements that moms take to help make more milk. I have read that brewers yeast is actually dead yeast and is almost the same as yeast nutrient you find at a home brew supply store. I think the active yeast will eat it all up and it will not have the breast milk production properties. Any thoughts?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428942996.742211.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428943017.009081.jpg

I did think of adding it to the beer after it's opened but I'm making it for a few ladies and they don't all have some. Before popping the top could I turn it upside down a bit to gently mix the yeast that drops to the bottom? I've never drank the bottom of the bottle before.

Back