Will brett bring my under-attenuated beer down ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swem

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive got a bit of a situation here. I have a batch of beer that I THINK is under attenuated, I was shooting for 1010 and its been a few weeks and its around 1018-19. When I started brewing under attenuation was my number one problem, and I HATE the sweetness left behind (if its a pale or ipa.) The problem is I broke my hydrometer on brew day, so I dont know what it actually started at, but it should have been around 1060 or so . The yeast I used was bry-97 west coast yeast. I am thinking I would do something funky anyway and I thought about transferring it, then pitching some brett and let it go for a few months. Option two would be transfer, pitch brett, add some fruit of some sort, and then let it hang out for even longer. option 3 would be to pitch a belgian yeast, but I am afraid it might not take off because the abv might already be high enough to suppress a pitch of yeast. Any other thoughts? any help would be appreciated!

Couple different ways you can go. Most will tell you to just bottle and enjoy. I lean to this but if you absolutely can't stand under attenuation.... A recipe would help us. You could make a big ol starter of high attenuating yeast as one option. Brett is going to do some crazy stuff. It might be better answered in the lambic/ wild ferment section.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Couple different ways you can go. Most will tell you to just bottle and enjoy. I lean to this but if you absolutely can't stand under attenuation.... A recipe would help us. You could make a big ol starter of high attenuating yeast as one option. Brett is going to do some crazy stuff. It might be better answered in the lambic/ wild ferment section.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks for the reply, and I changed the title as Im leaning more toward pitching the belgain yeast. Save my brett for a planned beer. I have a couple extra packs of mangrove jack m27 belgian yeast that I think might due quite nice. The recipe is mostly two row with a little bit of crystal 40 and 60 though I dont remember exactly how much off the top of my head. I do understand the drink and enjoy as I have many times, its just that under attenuation has always been my biggest problem (doesnt happen often now though) and I really want to get this thing to drop to 1010 or even a bit below.

I'm not sure that a belgian yeast will get you any more attenuation. I would try a saison yeast. Whatever yeast you use, you probably won't get much of the flavor from it since it's only going through the last few gravity points.

We'd probably be able to help more if you provided the recipe, mash temp, fermentation temp, yeast handling, or even the type of beer you brewed.

I'm not sure that a belgian yeast will get you any more attenuation. I would try a saison yeast. Whatever yeast you use, you probably won't get much of the flavor from it since it's only going through the last few gravity points.

We'd probably be able to help more if you provided the recipe, mash temp, fermentation temp, yeast handling, or even the type of beer you brewed.

As I said it was mostly two row, with a bit of crystal malts. Really simple malt bill but I dont remember off the top of my head percentages of each. I used bry97 west coast ale dry yeast (2 satchels) rehydrated and pitched around 67*. Mashed at 152, 170 flame out.

Back