Will aeration after primary hurt the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hucko

Reaction score
If I strain through a grain bag when racking from primary to secondary, that will aerate the beer quite a bit. Would oxidation be a problem here? If not, when does oxidation become a problem? I would be doing this to a Belgian ale in the near future.

Hucko

Don't do it. Carefully siphon your brew and absolutely do not aerate, unless you like drinking crap.

Yeah, unless you like a cardboard taste to your beer you best not go down that route. Don't strain. Just syphon with as little noise as possible and relax. Always have a beer when performing such operations. :drunk:

Yes, it would be bad for the beer. You will likely end up oxidizing the beer or contaminating it.

Why do you need to run the beer through a grain bag? What are you trying to strain out?

you can strain through a sanitize grain bag on the primary side.

if you are trying to filter the beer there are other ways.

are you trying to keep the hops out or something?

Get yourself an autosiphon... let that filter out the bigger pieces. All of the small pieces will settle out in time. You absolutely do not want to pour the beer at all. I actually prime my empty kegs with CO2 before racking into them. The beer has a layer of CO2 on top in the primary, and pushes all the air out when you rack into a primed keg.

YES -

If you want to "strain" the transfer, use sanitized cheese cloth on your bottom section of your siphon hose, or something else totally below the liquid level that can not introduce O2 into the beer.
Personally, I use time. I'm not patient, I just keep my pipeline so full I have to float a keg to cycle the brews. And for me, that take time.

Back