will a slight variation matter? help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blagooba

Reaction score
So I have been looking to make 1 gallon of eldrberry and blackberry wine. Some recipes say to use 2lb of each berry. Some say 2lb of one sort 1lb of another.

I have 2lb blackberrys
1lb of elderberrys
1 ripe banana
1tsp pectin
1tsp yeast nutrient
1kg sugar
1tsp wine yeast

Will this taste okay? Anyone tried anything similar?
Thanks

Blackberry-elderberry is one of my favorites!
If that is all the fruit available is there any chance you can scrounge up some 100% frozen grape juice concentrate, like red grape or white grape? Adding just one can of the frozen stuff per gallon in addition to your current recipe will be a great addition. Or light dry malt extract, that is always a nice combo with blackberry and elderberry?
These are fresh/frozen elderberries, not dried? Will you be using k-meta/campden preferment?
Pectic enzyme...not pectin. Pectin is a bad thing to add to wine.
What yeast do you have in mind, remember you need 1gm per gallon so 1 tsp may be a bit much (never measured wine yeast by teaspoon), but many just pitch the 5gm packet even in a gallon batch.

I am using youngs super wine yeast compound. I actually have 1lb 5oz of fresh elderberrys and just over 2lb of frozen blackberrys. Its difficult to get grape concentrate here as I am in england?

Also yes im using pectic enzyme my mistake. Is there anything else I could do? Shall I use all my berrys? Are they enough?

I am using youngs super wine yeast compound. I actually have 1lb 5oz of fresh elderberrys and just over 2lb of frozen blackberrys. Its difficult to get grape concentrate here as I am in england?

Also yes im using pectic enzyme my mistake. Is there anything else I could do? Shall I use all my berrys? Are they enough?

When I made that blend I used per gallon: 1.5# elderberry and 4.5# blackberry, and 1/3# extra light dry malt, and sugar to 1.090...just to give you an idea. Was very drinkable.
If no additional fruit is available can you find 32 oz blackberry jam or preserves, and incorporate that? It would require less sugar since you are adding jam. Or even 1# raisins/sultanas per gallon, hydrated in some of your water base which has been heated? Trying to help bump up the overall fruit ratio for you. But, even what you have should make for a nice wine. No idea on the yeast though, but I have read it does well.

Cheers, Sara

Back