Wildwest's brew lean-to (my almost dream build)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming along great! Cant wait to see beer in there!!

That's easy.:cross:

DSCN2685.jpg

A little more progress. Some electrical (as much as I can run before it's insulated.) My 50 amp gfci came in and is installed. Rough plumbing is in. And the best part since no cold room, drumroll please................. A BAR and Urinal! Wohoo, welcome to WestEnd Brewery and Tapworks. Yup I'm putting in a 6ft. bar, and an enclosed urinal (at far left of pic). Now I can brew and sample in the same room(and pee). I will start another thread once the bar build begins. I plan on having a LCD hanging on the back wall.:mug:

SWMBO needs to run back into the house to pee???

SWMBO needs to run back into the house to pee???

Funny story.... My buddy builds a house, I beg him to put a urinal in, he does and it's awesome. My old lady comes running out of the bathroom yelling she was the first chic to use the urinal.:eek:

So, short answer, no.:D

Funny story.... My buddy builds a house, I beg him to put a urinal in, he does and it's awesome. My old lady comes running out of the bathroom yelling she was the first chic to use the urinal.:eek:

I was gonna say, run inside or be forced to do an awkward squat in front of others but I didn't want the looks. But I guess they will come anyway

My BIL put in a urinal when he built his house and has been trying to get the ladies to use it for 3 years.

The mother of all lean-to's looks great.

Drywall is done. I had them do a simple knock down on the ceiling. Next is the concrete staining, which i'm not looking forward to. Any tips on this?

DSCN2678.jpg

Acid wash first, buy a good quality stain.... apply evenly. That's about it... One question though, have you considered using a ceramic tile instead of stained concrete? If I was going through all the work you are, I'd finish it off with a good floor tile, and maybe ($$ depending) tile at leased 12" above the rig height. If wall tile was too much, I'd get some 12x4 sheets of "glass"/"snow" board (FRP - fiberglass reinforced plastic) and completely cover the walls. That way, come clean up, just spray down the walls.

Back to the floor, another option to staining, would be epoxy paint... again, acid wash first, apply evenly, stand back and bask in the glory....

oh, and if you are acid washing, buy a good respirator (HD, Lowes - about $40.00)

Acid wash first, buy a good quality stain.... apply evenly. That's about it... One question though, have you considered using a ceramic tile instead of stained concrete?

I've seen others use it on their builds, but for the life of me, I don't understand why. I've brewed in my garage for the last 2 years and have spilled a lot of wort on the floor. No way I want sticky wort on tile grout. Cement is the best option for my needs. Besides some of the concrete stains I have seen are a lot nicer looking than tile. Plus it's a lot cheaper and will last forever.

I have a special plan for the wall in the brewing area, until it's a reality, i'm keeping mum on it.

I still think you need some windows. Unless of course, you will be using it to shoot pron.

You really do have a window fetish.:D

Started staining the floors. I have never done this before, labor intensive but not hard. My advice, spray WAY faster than you think you need to, you can go over it again and again. Tomorrow, any needed touch up, then two coats of high gloss sealer followed by as many coats of wax it takes to make it look 3 inches deep. Either i'm huge (which i'm not) or these pics make my shed look very small.:eek:

DSCN2708.jpg

DSCN2706.jpg

DSCN2714.jpg

DSCN2721.jpg

Actually I was gonna say either you're super short or you've got some awesome headspace there :)

Hey is that a floor drain?

Actually I was gonna say either you're super short or you've got some awesome headspace there :)

Hey is that a floor drain?

Ha, yea it's almost 10 feet tall on the one side. Yup that's a floor drain.

That's what I was thinking.. You don't look huge, you look tiny in there haha. Wish I had that much space for my stuff :D

I guess I meant width wise, it looks very narrow in the pic. Oh well, we can't all have brewing warehouses.:D

I did go over the floor with another light coat of stain this morning, it looks more uniform, but still "mottled". It has to sit 24 hours before the sealer can be applied. Another Saturday bites the dust.

WOW! WW this is awesome. Here I'm working out just how to make a brew-stand within budget!

Personally I like the mottled look of the floor. It adds character!

I've seen others use it on their builds, but for the life of me, I don't understand why. I've brewed in my garage for the last 2 years and have spilled a lot of wort on the floor. No way I want sticky wort on tile grout. Cement is the best option for my needs.

High quality epoxy is the way to go, man, especially on a new floor that only has cure time to worry about and not tons of stains, spalling, cracks, etc...

This is what's on my FDA-approved garage floor. I get winter salt, oil, grease... comes right off without a blink of the eye. It is amazing stuff.

4441786898_69f05e4a72_b.jpg

High quality epoxy is the way to go, man, especially on a new floor that only has cure time to worry about and not tons of stains, spalling, cracks, etc...

It was a toss up between epoxy and stain. Some of the pics I saw of stained floors blew me away. I will say, your floor looks very nice.

The quality of epoxies out there seems to be so variable. This was a multi-step all-solids epoxy from Wolverine. (prime, color, flakes, top-coat & silica).

In the end, as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Keep the pics coming. Looks great!

That Wolverine is liquid gold though. WW's floor would have cost what, close to a grand?

I love the stained concrete. I think it is by far the coolest looking thing you can do. I would love to have that in my basement.

That Wolverine is liquid gold though. WW's floor would have cost what, close to a grand?

If you get it through AlphaGarage in Cali it is actually pretty reasonable (well, by my definition anyway). If you have it professionally installed you had better have good credit rating! I found the prep (shot blasters are not cheap to rent!) and repair cost of a worn surface to be the biggest adder.

I had 450 sq ft and is was roughly $2/sf for material cost if you take out the various repair fillers/levelers I had to use. I think that's very reasonable considering I took the high end option at every turn, haha.

This is what's on my FDA-approved garage floor. I get winter salt, oil, grease... comes right off without a blink of the eye. It is amazing stuff.

4441786898_69f05e4a72_b.jpg

Im a fan of epoxy. The current house Im in has an epoxied basement floor.

Amazingly easy to clean, really hard to damage. (takes direct hammer blows rather nicely)

Amazingly easy to clean, really hard to damage. (takes direct hammer blows rather nicely)

At risk of FURTHER hijacking an already awesome thread, that is the big thing up here. Chicago area uses insane amounts of salt and I am able to throw 2 buckets of hot water on the floor and sweep weeks worth of salt out just like that. I know at least 10 other people who have tried the rust-o-leum and other boxed options and all had salt damage and hot tire pickup within the first year. With epoxy you really have to go big or go home, because a poorly done job or crappy material job ends up looking far worse than the dirty concrete you started with!

I had 450 sq ft and is was roughly $2/sf for material cost if you take out the various repair fillers/levelers I had to use. I think that's very reasonable considering I took the high end option at every turn, haha.

I'm right at .40 cents a sq ft. with mine.:D
Where's the cheap ass icon?

Sealer is done. This pic is right after it was applied, it looks milky white, but dries crystal clear. The after pics don't do it justice, it looks very nice, i'm pleased with it.

DSCN2727.jpg

looks great. spills should show up pretty well. what's the plan for the walls?

looks great. spills should show up pretty well. what's the plan for the walls?

If all goes as planned, I have a connection that can get me stainless steel and diamond plate aluminum at a reasonable price. I plan to go floor to ceiling with a stainless sheet(or the diamond plate) where the brewing will be done. The rest of the walls will just be painted.

It's coming together nicely, can't wait to see it finished. Diamond plate w/ that floor would look sick (in a good way, of course).

Cheers.

Back