Wild Beer - Medieval Belgian Gruit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAlsky

Reaction score
First post, first beer.

I've been foraging wild foods for several years, and as part of that evolution, eventually you get to the real fun bit, wild booze!

I am total newbie to brewing - other than making a wild Mead last year using simply honey, spring water and Sloe's (a true wild British plumb of the Gin flavouring for it's wild yeast must) in turn to make a Mead vinegar while studying long term food preservation, and to have a decent drink.

Most of the information on wild brewing I have been reading / following comes from a prolific Belgian (now in LA) forager by the name of Pascal Baudar; so credit where due.

I made a simple wort of unrefined cane sugar (grains will come later) and added some wild aromatic / bitter herbs I am familiar with, yarrow, mugwort, long dock-leaf as a citrus, ground ivy (ale-hoof) young pine needles and fennel.

The wild yeast starter came from young green larch cones and was made a few days in advance to give the process a kick start.

After the wort was cooled, the starter added the waiting game began ... the following morning fermentation had started.

It was recommended that fermentation last 10 days and then bottled with a primer, but as I guess we've all done, I added a little more sugar to begin with hoping for something with a bit more kick, and I'm just going to leave this one until fermentation stops (still very active) and the beer clears a little.

Please excuse any errors or things you might have done different, it's all just guess work, but it has been the start of an epic learning cure and to be blunt, I'm like a kid with a new goldfish at the moment.

Looking forwards to any advice given.

Just a few pictures to enjoy, al.

IMG_6538.jpg

IMG_6552.jpg

IMG_6554.jpg

IMG_6634.jpg

Welcome to the forum. That's an interesting way to get started. I haven't read any of the publication you've cited, however, most brewers would call your sugar solution a "must" rather than wort. And without barley as an ingredient most of us wouldn't call the end product "beer". Certainly, you are fermenting and if you enjoy the flavor, will make something drinkable. Your photography skills are very good. Update us on how this turns out please.

Thanks for the comments, appreciated.

I've learned something new already. And will-do on the update!

A fellow gruit beer Brewer! Lovely!

I am currently working on getting to know the major gruit beer herbs one by one, so I brewed fairly simple ales or maybe they could be called Pilsener, without hops but with one herb each. Heather, yarrow, mugwort, ground ivy, wild rosemary, and of course Bog myrtle or sweet gale.

Have only sampled ground ivy, interesting flavour but I used to much. Going to sample the rest this we, we will see!

Btw. I can highly recommend the book "ancient and herbal healing beers". There is soooo much gruit information inside and a wagon load of recipes dating back as early as the 16 hundreds.

Cheers!

Sorry for the delay in getting back Miraculix, been away with work ...

I am familiar with most of the wild herbs, other than Bog myrtle, but I am sure there is lots around the hills where I live. Also blessed with plenty of wild hops, but I previously just collected them as a food source, they are very popular in the restaurants of the UK!

I shall order the book, sounds perfect from your recommendations.

Good to see I am not alone on the gruit front, my best, al.

IMG_6628.jpg

No worries mate, I am also quite busy.

Wild hops as food?What do you do with it? Use it like kale or spinach and steam it? Sounds interesting, never heard of it!

Finding Bog Myrtl is a real challenge. It only grows in highly acidic grounds, so mainly at peatbogs and everywhere where water is close and enough peat in the ground.

I did saw it once in Ireland around Dingl, but at that time I did not know that it is the main gruit herb. I tried to find it in the southern UK around London, but did not have any luck. But I also do not have those peaty areas close, I am sure it grows somewhere in England as well. Otherwise you can order it from a shop in scotland, that's what I did.

Btw., I opened a Gruit Beer Thread, so that we all can combine our knowledge.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8018921#post8018921

Wild hop shoots are treated a little like asparagus, just blanched in hot water, or pan fried very quickly. Tasty too.

Just checked with a very knowledgeable friend and it's not local to me. Shame...

Awesome & thanks for the link :)

Back