Why the in fighting ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BxBrewer

Reaction score
Going to get on a soap box.

Why all the in fighting among home brewers ? Im talking about styles of home brewing. From all grain to Mr beer kits. Why is it on this web site that we need to “chime in” with our opinions of how we brew home brewed beer to other home brewers of a different style ? The wonderful thing about Home Brew Talk is that there is different forum sections to discuss all the types of home brewing. All grain, brew in a bag, extract, cider,wine to even BBq ! Whats the need to cross forums to passively aggress your style over another ? We have our way you have yours. There is no rule book stating you have to climb a certain ladder.

Our competition lies with the distributor and store bought beer. Not with each other.

I haven't come across any of that yet, but hey, there's always a few bad eggs. Me personally, I salivate over these uber-shiny, expensive breweries but am still awestruck at others' simplicity. I think it's all interesting.

You're both wrong.

I_see_what_you_did_there_OS.jpg

Why all the in fighting among home brewers ? Im talking about styles of home brewing. From all grain to Mr beer kits. Why is it on this web site that we need to “chime in” with our opinions of how we brew home brewed beer to other home brewers of a different style ? The wonderful thing about Home Brew Talk is that there is different forum sections to discuss all the types of home brewing. All grain, brew in a bag, extract, cider,wine to even BBq ! Whats the need to cross forums to passively aggress your style over another ? We have our way you have yours. There is no rule book stating you have to climb a certain ladder.

Our competition lies with the distributor and store bought beer. Not with each other.

You must be new to forums.

Every forum in-fights among members, it is the nature of "anonymity"
This is the tamest forum for arguing I have ever been a member on, most I belong to begin with phrases like Drink Bleach and Copulate a Blender, then get ugly from there.

I've read a lot of strong opinions on HBT (and other types of forums), and I think they are just that -- opinions. I have yet to encounter any real hostility as I've seen on other forums. Hardly anyone gets up in anyone else's grill. This is a pretty friendly place to hang around for camaraderie and assistance.

I agree. There is very little up front conflict here. It is a great place to discuss ideas, and when help is needed, it is always available. If it wasn't for this website, my beer would still suck. :)

Must resist urge to quote Nightshade out of context in my signature.

------------
"... Drink Bleach and Copulate a Blender, then get ugly...."
- NS

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you, OP. This forum and other forums are some of the politest places on the Internet.

I'm a man who enjoys a good troll but the civility of this forum seems to have killed those instincts.

Keep up good work everyone!

Don't look at it as infighting. Oh sure,there's some asshattery going on with those you'd swear are just trolling to start fights. Otherwise,it's just some folks having trouble believing the experiences of others being factual vs those that quote from books,etc. Books are all well & fine,gotta start learning somewhere. but discounting,say,my experiences on a given subject as wrong just because an old famous HB'r says otherwise is just as wrong. I def think this is a big part of this sorta thing on here.
Or like the thread about "pro" extract brewing. It always seems to degrade to PM/AG vs AE & E/SG. I for instance tried to give my views of PM vs AE & E/SG For a little perspective & simplification. Not to ruffle the op's feathers about my way's better,etc. That would be petty. So I think it also comes down to command of the language & precieved meaning of another's words.
So we also need to be as precise as possible with how we word what we're trying to get across.

You must be new to forums.

Every forum in-fights among members, it is the nature of "anonymity"
This is the tamest forum for arguing I have ever been a member on, most I belong to begin with phrases like Drink Bleach and Copulate a Blender, then get ugly from there.

THIS...

HBT is as tame as they come, you must not be on any other forums..

Half of the responses in one forum I frequent are KYS(kill yourself)

Oh.. and because BIAB is an inferior way to brew beer :D

You must brew in an undersized pot on your stove using 3 year old extract, pitch 18 vials of yeast per five gallons, ferment at exactly 97.2 degrees for 5 days 17 hours 4 minutes 38 seconds then transfer to secondary for 29 minutes. Then bottle the beer, condition them in your refrigerator for 1 week, then pour them into a keg and dispense at 26 psi.

If you don't do it this way, you are doing it wrong. :mad:

Seriously, this site is one of the most civil forums I have frequented and is extremely informative.

THIS...

HBT is as tame as they come, you must not be on any other forums..

Half of the responses in one forum I frequent are KYS(kill yourself)

Oh.. and because BIAB is an inferior way to brew beer :D

I think we're pretty civil and friendly, except for those darn batch spargers who are crazy. Everyone knows that batch sparging is not real brewing.

Seriously, I think that you can make awesome beer with a pot and a bucket, so I don't think any experienced brewers look down on anybody else's techniques.

The only time I've seen people really question others about the quality of their product is when they say things like "I used 5 pounds of corn sugar in my brew, and fermented at 85 degrees and it's awesome!"

That's not because we're snobby brewers, it's just that with some experience drinking bad beer we can recognize one a mile away. :D

There is blatant snobbery from AG'ers and Keggers (both of which I am).

It isn't rampant, but it does happen.

Post a question about an off flavor in an extract batch, and someone will say that AG is the answer......and I will bring the hammer down.

The very first batch of Mr Beer pale ale was SO much better than Budweiser, that NOTHING homebrewed should be scoffed at....(unless it contains 5 lbs of corn sugar fermented at 95F)

This forum doesn't have much arguing or trolling.

Maybe that's because Lagers suck, Malt extract is crap, glass carboys are retarded and your momma's so fat, her ass has its own zip code.

;)

Or mention anything to do with not making a starter for an average gravity batch of ale,& watch the professional snobery ensue. If the person says it workes well,then take it as a fact that maybe needs to be examine more closely. Current "facts" & notions have been known to change. Even since I've been here,& I've been in my fair share of these "infights".
But most do seem to keep an open mind about things. It just bugs me when some don't,quote from books rather than experience to insist you're experiences have just got to be wrong. Where do they think the stuff in all those books about home brewing came from??:drunk: & you call that dinosaur wizz beer?!

You want to see some infighting go hang out on a video game forum. Those guys take trolling to a whole new level. Be sure to wear a fire retardant suit though because you'll get flamed just for saying hello.

Our arguments here are tame by internet standards and as a whole this community does a really good job of debating the facts and not degenerating into personal insults. That's a credit to both the membership and the moderators.

And that's when the fight started ! Film at 11.

personalities! some people think thier Stuff doesnt stink and have to share thier opinions with the world

In my opinion Thier Stuff always stinks....Thiers (from Thierland) are the stinkiest people on earth and their stuff smells like old farts and dentures.

This place is tame. You want to have some fun, go to a Harley board and brag about your Yamaha:ban:

Everyone thinks their way is the best. (If they did not, then they would be pretty silly continuing to do it).
The magic happens when someone brings up a point that the reader has not thought of before.
There are arguments over Glass V BB, AG V Extract, Fly V Batch, Traditional V BIAB, Keg V Bottle. I have learned a bit from each one, and have (and continue) to reevaluate my methods. Is my method best? Of course it is -- but if you care to discuss it, I amay agree that yours is better.

Our arguments here are tame by internet standards and as a whole this community does a really good job of debating the facts and not degenerating into personal insults. That's a credit to both the membership and the moderators.

I was thinking the same thing, it's usually pretty well self-regulating, but our moderators also do quite a good job keeping the peace.

This place is tame. You want to have some fun, go to a Harley board and brag about your Yamaha:ban:

Hit up Pirate and brag about your plans for a D30 axle build to fit 38s under your FSJ with an LS1 powering it.

Actually just start an introduction thread, that should be enough to start it off and either scare most away or make them love the place.

Another thing to add is that homebrewers by nature tend to do a lot of really stupid things that annoy or piss off other homebrewers haha. It's in our blood. By one standard it's creative, by another it's idiotic.

You must brew in an undersized pot on your stove using 3 year old extract, pitch 18 vials of yeast per five gallons, ferment at exactly 97.2 degrees for 5 days 17 hours 4 minutes 38 seconds then transfer to secondary for 29 minutes. Then bottle the beer, condition them in your refrigerator for 1 week, then pour them into a keg and dispense at 26 psi.

If you don't do it this way, you are doing it wrong. :mad:

Seriously, this site is one of the most civil forums I have frequented and is extremely informative.

HEY! SARCASTICE SCHMUCK! Are you implying there is something wrong with the way I am brewing! I'm in South FL so of course I ferment at 97.2 degrees!

:D LOL

My experience here has been 99.9% friendly. But yes i have seen silly comments from some. Some of us are A$$es all the time it is a genetic thing they cannot help it!

I agree with the general sentiment here. This is the most polite, friendly forum I've ever hung around. Sure, some people get a little uppity or condescending at times but you don't see the downright ugly name calling or insults that you see elsewhere.

Look at how many repeat threads there are about basic stuff like choosing equipment, infected batches etc. I've started my share of those. Despite there being dozens of threads on the same subject, if you start a new one, you get tons on genuine, helpful responses not the inevitable "Google is your friend" or rudely worded direction to search before listing. Hell, here you'll probably even get a link to a pertinent thread.

That's what makes this a great place. Its full of knowledgeable people who are here to help, share, and discuss a great hobby, not brag about about how much better than you they are.

You call that a rant? You must be an extract brewer! Mwahahaha! Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D

+1 For a great, polite, civil forum. I stopped posting and dont even go on the VW enthsiast forum I used to be a part of anymore because it gets down right nasty.
The SWMBO has shown me some of the stuff that is posted up on the pregnant mom/mom forum that she used to be a part of...talk about down right nasty there should be a suicide hotline number advertised on every page of that forum.

LOL - this place is very nice, polite...and informative

try starting a "how to carry a gun while riding" thread on a mountain biking forum...or even a wheel size thread

it gets ugly fast.

Hell, I'm going to disagree with this. I'm not competing with store-bought beer. I may have a full 6-tap keezer and another keg waiting fora tap slot to open up, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy quality commercial craft beer.

Back