Why not wash and repitch dry yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boswell

Reaction score
I do, but I see the response often around here that it's 'unnecessary' or 'useless'. Is there any quantifiable reason not to that would impact the resulting product? I've searched for facts but generally just find the reason being dry yeasts are cheap. However, I am cheap as well, so why not carefully wash and get a few pitches of a yeast that you like? Anyways, I've noticed Notty and the S's are only a buck or two cheaper than liquid these days.

Let's assume in this example that the packets are fresh, handled correctly, rehydrated, pitched into a wort 1.055 or less that is not highly hopped (fewer oils) and fermented in its ideal temperature range. Let ferment out and good sanitation practices were observed.

I have just poured wort onto the yeast cake of a prior fermentation with good results, though I would be wary of doing it more than once. I've seen fermentation activity start within minutes this way.

Sure, I save dry yeast like S05 after it's used. It's then liquid yeast, of course, but it stores the same way as the other yeast strains I save.

I didn't use to save dry yeast, because about 5 years ago it was ultra cheap- like $1 a pack. But since it's gone up in price, I almost always save it and reuse.

Pitching on a cake is not a good practice (however I have done it with HUGE partigyle first runnings), but that's a topic for another thread, and there are always 3 or 4 of them active around here. I'm specifically talking about washing and keeping a few pitches around for future batches. Specifically dry yeasts.

YOOPER, that is my logic as well. I like the beer that I make from dry yeasts and now that the price is what it is, why not get 4 pitches from a pack?

No, there's no reason not to. It's the same as harvesting and repitching liquid yeasts. I think it's just the cheap factor for most people. Though like you said, some dry yeast seems to be getting to about the same price as liquid. I was at my HBS yesterday and BRY-97 was $5.50! I can get a Wyeast pack for $6.25! US-05 was only $3.90 though, so I obviously got that. It could just be that store though, looks like my other HBS (Brewmaster's Warehouse) has BRY-97 (and all Lallemand) for $3.99.

Also, I've read recently that it's much better for the yeast and it will last longer with less chance of infection if you harvest the yeast with a little beer and don't wash it.

Sure, I save dry yeast like S05 after it's used. It's then liquid yeast, of course, but it stores the same way as the other yeast strains I save.

I didn't use to save dry yeast, because about 5 years ago it was ultra cheap- like $1 a pack. But since it's gone up in price, I almost always save it and reuse.

YOOPER, that is my logic as well. I like the beer that I make from dry yeasts and now that the price is what it is, why not get 4 pitches from a pack?

I totally agree with this logic, and I've done it many times. Lately, though, I haven't been washing yeast mainly due to laziness. However, I do typically make my starters twice as big as necessary so I can split them in half. Then I save one half and pitch the other. I also do a lot of dry hopping with pellets without the use of bags, and that tends to make it hard to wash the yeast.

Notty at my LHBS is $5.25! I've also read about leaving a little beer on top, but I like washing and splitting into 4-5 sanitized jars.

I wash, harvest and re-pitch US-05 and Nottingham at least 3 generations each time since I use those 2 yeasts in at least 50% of my recipes.

US-05 is my go to yeast. I usually wash and reuse it at least 3 times. I start with a small lightly hopped beer and end with a bigger or hoppier one. Great results.

Back