Why not Mash HI then LO?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KavDaven

Reaction score
Some brewers include a step both at a low conversion temperature (say 145F/63 C) and a second mash step at high conversion temperature (say 155F/68 C). This results in very high sugar conversion, and a very clean, light bodied beer. It does this by activating both the alpha and beta amylase in sequence.

Any reason I can't go in reverse sequence? 155F then drop to 145F?

Some brewers include a step both at a low conversion temperature (say 145F/63 C) and a second mash step at high conversion temperature (say 155F/68 C). This results in very high sugar conversion, and a very clean, light bodied beer. It does this by activating both the alpha and beta amylase in sequence.

Any reason I can't go in reverse sequence? 155F then drop to 145F?

Yes. It's because once the enzyme denatures, it won't come back. Mashing at 155 is above the range for beta amylase. Going in the reverse, low to high, won't do that.

Dang it! HI then LO would be so much easier.

Oh well. By the way, I am nearly done with a keg of your DFH60. Not only was it awesome, but it has a tendency to sneak up on people while they're enjoying the hops. Love it.

Dang it! HI then LO would be so much easier.

Oh well. By the way, I am nearly done with a keg of your DFH60. Not only was it awesome, but it has a tendency to sneak up on people while they're enjoying the hops. Love it.

I'm glad you like it! I love the combo of amarillo and simcoe together, and I still make it often. I changed up my recipe just a tiny bit here at home, reducing the amount of base grain, so that it's a little more sessionable, and I can drink more than two. I kept everything else the same, though because I love the base flavor.

Back