why no starter on dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosper123

Reaction score
I have some dry yeast that I have had for a very long time. Not sure if it's still good or not. Everything I see is that dry yeast needs no starter and it can actually hurt.

Is it absolutely forbidden? Don't want to throw it in if it's bunk but don't want to buy a new packet if I can test it out as a starter.

I've never actually made a started for a dry yeast as they have a lot higher cell count than the liquid ones. That being said I don't see a reason why there'd be an issue with a starter for a very old package of yeast. I'd probably starter to make sure that the yeast is even viable.

Normally with fresh dry yeast you don't want to do a starter as you can end up over pitching the amount of yeast and that can create a whole set of off flavors and headaches of it's own. At least that's my understanding of the subject.

First, proof the yeast in 105*F water for 15 minutes. If no krausen developes try a small priming with table sugar. A tablespoon. Wait another 15.

If no dice, try a starter or dump it.

The reason against using a starter for dry is that 1) it uses up all the reserves the yeast makers worked so hard to have stored in the yeast and 2) it's ridiculously cheap so it's usually not worth the trouble - just pitch another pack if you're looking for more cell count. If it's inconvenient to just buy more packs then you can always step it up, but by the time you do that you could likely have had something picked up or delivered with no worries on viability.

The reason against using a starter for dry is that 2) it's ridiculously cheap so it's usually not worth the trouble - just pitch another pack if you're looking for more cell count.

have you bought dry yeast recently? it's $4-8, bout to get me to start buying liquid yeast and harvesting

Back