Why keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

I’m not wrong. I’m left handwriting
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No bottles to clean and sanitize.
Easy pressurisation (sp)
Beer on tap.

Keep the answers flowing and :mug:.

Less chance for oxidation..
Much less time/labor to fill a keg as opposed to 50-60 bottles to fill and cap.

No bottle bombs.
You can adjust the carbonation to better fit the brew at any time.
Don't need to restock the fridge with bottles as you drink. :rockin: :drunk:
Storing a full batch of brew also takes up less floor space.

Because you can use the keg to ferment in as well! You can carbonate naturally! Lots more reasons than I can think of specifically right now.

Some people get excited about making beer. (Me included) I just find it easeir and more convient to keg.

Because sometimes you don't want to commit to a full bottle.... like with your eggs in the morning.

why keg? because it takes me 5 minutes to sanitize a keg and racking cane/tubing, and rack off of a carboy. instead of 45 minutes to sanitize 56 bottles, fill, and cap.

also, kegs carb faster, you can dryhop in keg, and whenever I drink from the tap I don't have a brown bottle sitting on my kitchen window sill until I get around to taking it to the basement to join its friends.

I agree with you all.

Friday, November 11 is Veterans' day. I want to honor our vets. Will to do that in my own way. If you don't mind me asking, Whats yours? Thankyou.

you cant drink half a bottle of beer (easily). you can pour half a glass of draft very easily (sometimes too easily...)

you can also experiment with blending beer. its much harder to do that with bottles.

when you find a really good mystery beer in the back of the closet, you'll have more than 1 glass!

I wanted to build a stir plate, but I accidentally followed the instructions for a kegerator. Didn't make sense not to keg after that.

That's sad and disturbing at the same time... Sad because it's a waste of great brew. I just hope you have a set of dedicated hardware for that infusion. :eek:

You act like my sphincter doesn't deserve the great brew I create. Using the old fashioned method, it gets completely left out.

P.S. I'm kidding :D

Turn up to a party with a keg of homebrew and your a leg end. Turn up with bottles and you end up having to explain to people why they need. To pour it first.

2.5 gallon cornies will turn you into a party god

sudsmcgee said:
You act like my sphincter doesn't deserve the great brew I create. Using the old fashioned method, it gets completely left out.

P.S. I'm kidding :D

Seems like you'd be better off bottling. Drink em straight from the bottle, and I guarantee your sphincter will get some. It's 2-for-1!

I keg because bottling sucks. and because I was able to get into it at a low price(craigslist). Plus it seems like a natural progression in the homebrewing pyramid of total financial ruin.

Next step a 100% medical grade stainless steel hermetically sealed Electric Herms System powered by a dying star.

I keg because bottling sucks. and because I was able to get into it at a low price(craigslist). Plus it seems like a natural progression in the homebrewing pyramid of total financial ruin.

Ayup. Then comes the grain mill, the bigger pots, the pricey plate chiller - which demands at least one pump...then you decide you absolutely need to buy a welder to build your brew sculpture...then the conical shows up...

I think there's something in the barley that brings this on.

Cheers! ;)

Tonight, like every night, grab a glass, pour your glass, when done put in dish washer, hit start. Done. call me lazy, this works for me.

Beer:
Like money, women and free time... More is better. Thus 5gallons is better than 12ounces

One of the main reasons why I'm planning on kegging: when I decide to bottle something to give away, I can decide what size bottle at any time. "Bob gets a sixer of this, 1 12oz of that, a bomber of this"

Plus the no-sediment thing is a good one too...

Back