Tap direct on keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
Have a quad-style carbing up for 3.0v (24 psi @ 50F). Plan to see how 50F works for serving temp too.

Want to use tap direct on corny. I presume the only way that will work is cut the pressure way back for serving (then back up to keep the carb), or buy a flow-control faucet?

(BTW, not too interested in a bunch of extra tubing)

Rather not bottle. Got rid of all my bottles except for maybe 20-24 Duvel bottles, and they might be gone too.

I do have about a dozen swing tops but I usually use those for wine. But kegged the last batch of wine too. Only used the swing tops to transport a liter or two now and then.

Kegland sells flow control disconnects and a hand faucet. They also have a way to rig a mini Nukatap on a keg with a flow control disconnect. I haven't tried these things, but their flow control disconnects work fine with regular taps.

Rather not bottle
Okay, and best of luck. Even with flow control, this might work best if your serving pressure is low once the beer is carbed up warm-and-high. But I've never deliberately carbed that high. A slightly over-carbed beer at room temp was foamy AF poured through the Picnic Tap 2.0.

Last edited:
Rather than get a flow control faucet I ordered one of the Kegland Duotight flow control disconnects mentioned by @Clint Yeastwood (and some 4mm EVABarrier beer line).

Yeah, I know; said I didn't want a coil of beer tubing. But sounds like that may have to be back up plan if I get sick of swapping gas hoses (have a 2-regulator manifold) or adjusting pressure on a single regulator.

I am between three and four volumes on one beer, and the flow control disconnects seem to do a great job of distributing the CO2 properly between foam and carbonation. Takes considerable twiddling to get the flow right.

This thread (and there are a few others around) talks about the Picnic Tap 2.1. It is not perfect. Mine work great at ~12 psi, and get a little too foamy above 15. But it beats the heck out of a long line.

I have 4 of these. A.K. is right. They aren't perfect. Pour is definatley slower than I prefer. I'm used to that now though. And I prefer them over a bunch of long lines. Rarely use them above 15psi. YMMV.

I’ve used this setup for years. I used to run 10 psi, I’m liking 9 psi these days. No foam issues.

IMG_0132.jpeg
IMG_0373.jpeg
IMG_1359.jpeg

Haven't had foam issues myself at lower pressures. 21 to 24 psi is new territory (for me).

I gave it a try with the plain old non-flow control faucet right on the keg. Got a good pour first time out, albeit with the pressure turned down way low perhaps to like 2-3 psi. Not sure how accurate the gauge is down that low. But, regardless, as long as I can tolerate messing with the serving vs. storage pressure it certainly is doable to get a good pour without mega foam.

Am going to leave it sit a bit longer though, to the end of the month as I'd planned. The sample/test pint-ish pour isn't going to last long. It's not St. Bernardus ABT (have not had Westvleteren 12 to say) but it's of the general style and good such that I personally deem it a success. None will be wasted. :)

Last edited:
Back