Why is this forum so dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebacherville

Reaction score
Well considering when you go to google and type "home brewing forum" this forum comes up as number one this forum is pretty dead... Is home brewing that much of a obscure pastime or is it just the fact that all us brewers are just to busy enjoying out production :D

Just wondering why since this comes up as number one in google, it isnt a major gathering place?

Jason

Google helps a lot but this forum is fairly new and it just takes awhile to catch on. Plus the lack of posts drive potential members away because they have nothing to respond to.

Just takes time, lots of word of mouth and links.

OK, How new is the forum?

I will add a link to my site then , at least I'm in on the ground floor :)

Thanks,
Jason

TxBrew said:
Google helps a lot but this forum is fairly new and it just takes awhile to catch on. Plus the lack of posts drive potential members away because they have nothing to respond to.

Just takes time, lots of word of mouth and links.

Only about 2 months old now.

Thanks for the link! Every single one helps!

ebacherville said:
OK, How new is the forum?

I will add a link to my site then , at least I'm in on the ground floor :)

Thanks,
Jason

I guess .. today at least .. I'm the newest member. I've brewed beer before, but not since about 20 years ago, so I guess I am a newbie again. I got bit badly by the urge again to brew, and have purchased a lot of equipment - basic stuff. Well, I credit this forum for getting me to get a wort cooler .. didn't have one of those. I ordered one today! I can see the logic in crash cooling the wort. So, as soon as I get my cooler in .. and yeah ... I cheated and ordered two cases of empty bottles .. I'll start my new brew. Going to be something dark .. a stout .. with lots of body. I know I'll have to age that forever, but I can start on something lighter while it is aging. ;)

ebacherville said:
Well considering when you go to google and type "home brewing forum" this forum comes up as number one this forum is pretty dead... Is home brewing that much of a obscure pastime or is it just the fact that all us brewers are just to busy enjoying out production :D

Just wondering why since this comes up as number one in google, it isnt a major gathering place?

Jason

Maybe people use the forum at beertown.org? I'm not a member of AHA, and you have to be to use the forum so I guess this is the next best thing...

I was wondering wether any of the regular poster are really experienced home brewers? I've only brewed a few brews (both extract and all-grain) myself, and although I've read a few books on the subject, it hardly makes me an expert brewer.

Christian Rahbek, Denmark.

Rahbek said:
Maybe people use the forum at beertown.org? I'm not a member of AHA, and you have to be to use the forum so I guess this is the next best thing...

I was wondering wether any of the regular poster are really experienced home brewers? I've only brewed a few brews (both extract and all-grain) myself, and although I've read a few books on the subject, it hardly makes me an expert brewer.

Christian Rahbek, Denmark.

Yeah Im not a expert either, Unless you call making a few gallons of wine and using a MR Beer kit a expert :)

Im making wine right now and for beer once I get a kegging system and refridgerarot or converted freezer (end of this year) , I will be moving up to five gallon batches of beer, but for now its MR beer for me as I dont have the room to house 50 to 60 bottles of beer at a time. I do have to say Mr beer gave me the bug to venture further down the brewing and wine making trail.

I actually found a fourm at http://forum.northernbrewer.com that seems to be fairly active.. if you need questions replied to really quickly..

Yeah, it's slow alright.

Dead is more like it.

Not even the owners/moderators care to respond to anyone who actually DOES post something.

This board is a waste of time.............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sorry you think the forum is a waste of space lol. It just takes time to build up membership. There are no moderators so they can't respond and past few weeks I have been really busy. Though I did manage to bottle a batch of Hefe Weizen I am going to do a write up on, turned out great.

TxBrew said:
Sorry you think the forum is a waste of space lol. It just takes time to build up membership. There are no moderators so they can't respond and past few weeks I have been really busy. Though I did manage to bottle a batch of Hefe Weizen I am going to do a write up on, turned out great.

I dont think anyone thinks its a waste of space or time.. It's a good forum..maybe make a stickie on the main forum page to let everyone know to spread the world and be patient as the forum is still very new.. I think its a very good forum just not very active yet, but will be as you got great placing in google (#1).. I would bet we all would love to read you write up , I may post one also on a freezer to kegarator conversion im working on.. just got the freezer today.

Jason

TxBrew said:

Hey i think you're doing a good job and the forum is enjoyable keep up the good work.......now where :confused: did i put my glass of northern brown ale????????

I like the way the Forum is set-up. It's very clean & easy to read. I'll definitely be checking in more often as it builds momentum.

I just found this forum, and I'm reall excited to see it grow. I hope it catches on big time. Has anyone posted to the Homebrew digest?

I have used the homebrew digest/usenet group off and on since 1992 or so, but I really think shifting to a more useful interface like this is a good idea. I hope other folks migrate here so this can be a real gathering place for the brewers.

Janx

Isn't it great how this forum has gone from being dead to being possibly the most active homebrew forum around so suddenly? And people so far are being very cordial and helpful to each other. Homebrewtalk rocks.

Jack Straw said:
Yeah, it's slow alright.

Dead is more like it.

Not even the owners/moderators care to respond to anyone who actually DOES post something.

This board is a waste of time.............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Speaking of classic threads...where are you now, Jack (ass!)...?

WHOA!! when I started reading this thread I thought it was some n00b being all sarcastic and *****y and txbrew was screwing with him. Then I saw the posting dates and mind = blown.

/me mind != blow.

It takes a LOT to build up a strong community. I suppose it's pretty cool to see a blast from the past; it makes us appreciate how we might be impacted if not for HBT.

Thanks for everyone who has made HBT what it is today (And thanks TxBrew for "keeping the lights on" so to speak. Bandwidth sucks)

Reminds me when hitting new posts after 24 hours almost showed 1 page worth of chatter.

This thread started one day before I joined. I remember this one from when it was live. I didn't help since I was very quiet back then.

Ah give me some of that old Janx spirit.

Jason

Great post. I'm just not completely sure that I'm understanding the depth to this.
Can anybody explain this out a little bit more?

Let me get this straight....For your first post ever on HBT you asked question on a 4 year old thread that was bumped a year ago???? :D

This thread was starting when HBT was new....That's hardly the case now...No one could argue that this forum is dead, nor that it is not the #1 Homebrewing & winemaking site on the 'nets.....TX just opened up a new section of the forums...to my knowlege it's the first social networking site for brewers...

How did you even find this thread????? And why???

Welcome :mug:

The latest in marketing techniques, revvy. Hit his link, that's why he's here.
Craigslist has been taken over by the "marketing experts".
You'll see a lot of ads in that format.

The latest in marketing techniques, revvy. Hit his link, that's why he's here.
Craigslist has been taken over by the "marketing experts".
You'll see a lot of ads in that format.

ha, nice one. I knew something was up when he said "great post", because there was nothing "great" about it.

Reminded me of that South Park where Cartman is wired up to...Butters, I think, via a headset and walkie talkie, and he's helping him say the right things on a date, and Cartman keeps feeding him generic responses to say, like, whatever the girl says, he responds "that's very interesting! Please, tell me more!"

ha, nice one. I knew something was up when he said "great post", because there was nothing "great" about it.

Reminded me of that South Park where Cartman is wired up to...Butters, I think, via a headset and walkie talkie, and he's helping him say the right things on a date, and Cartman keeps feeding him generic responses to say, like, whatever the girl says, he responds "that's very interesting! Please, tell me more!"

Oh, no, Cartman gave up all of our dating tips? When we go out with boring guys we don't want to talk to, we say, "Ohhh, that's great. Tell me more about that!", "What do you think about world peace?", "You have kids? Oh, that's great! Tell me all about them!"

Then we can run through our shopping lists in our mind.

Yeah. I saw the OP when I "hovered" and I thought "HOLY CRAP!!! This guy is going to get mauled!".

The best "generic dating lines" scene was in the 40 year old virgin. His buddy tells him to just throw questions back at the women.

On the first chick it works so well that he is convinced (so is she), but later in a speed dating...thing, it backfires. The woman ends up asking "Are you retarded??" to which he responds "Do you want me to be retarded?" pretty funny.

Back