Why is there sodium in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koerd85

Reaction score
I don't add sodium to beer so why is it in there? Could it be because of the yeast metabolism?

Sodium in larger amounts can accentuate malty sweetness.

It also can act as exchange ions in biochemical processes.

Reno_eNVy_446 said:
Sodium in larger amounts can accentuate malty sweetness.

It also can act as exchange ions in biochemical processes.

So apparently the sodium is there b/c that exchange your talking about leaks or stops during the dying process of z yeast causing a concentration of sodium in solution?

If you don't add it to your beer, and it's not in the water you brew with, why do you suspect it is in there?

I'm confused. Clearly some brews benefit from the addition of salts. What is your question?

bigbeergeek said:
If you don't add it to your beer, and it's not in the water you brew with, why do you suspect it is in there?

I'm confused. Clearly some brews benefit from the addition of salts. What is your question?

As fare as health is concerned 2 bbers a day prevent cardio vascular problems. In some beer the ingredients state that sodium is in there. Do they add it to commercial beers or is sodium in beer a product of some process in making beer?

As fare as health is concerned 2 bbers a day prevent cardio vascular problems. In some beer the ingredients state that sodium is in there. Do they add it to commercial beers or is sodium in beer a product of some process in making beer?

100ppm (which still seems pretty high to me) is equivalent to 100 mg/L. That is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch a small amount compared to just about every single food you buy packaged/precooked instead of cooking yourself.

Ohh ok so it is present in the ingredients in small amounts. Wasn't sure if big beer companies add it for taste or not ok thanks

Back