Why is there no Bluetooth pressure sensors on the market?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmyers5266

Reaction score
I use tilt hydrometers to monitor the pressure and temperature during fermentation, but I’d like something to also log or monitor the pressure. It could also be useful for kegs in the kegerator to identify leaks. Awhile back I found Plaato had a tri clamp pressure sensor they were evaluating, but it seems to have gone away. You’d think a product that simply senses the pressure and provides that value via Bluetooth would be available somewhere, but it doesn’t appear so. Anyone have a similar need or solution?

Sorry, tilt to measure temperature and gravity**. What I don’t know how to monitor is pressure

Ok then, so how much do you want a bluetooth pressure sensor? :)

https://store.motionics.com/products/bluetooth-pressure-sensor-bluepsi?variant=21652861190233
There may be other - less pricey - devices. This BluePSI device gets almost all the hits...

[edit]

This one would save you $300!

https://transducersdirect.com/produ...rrussense-tdwlb-wireless-pressure-transducer/
Cheers!
The Motionics unit would have to be mounted outside the vessel, looks like 1/4 NPT so you would have to do some adapting.
Not difficult but worth it?

Unless one would like to try dropping a Bluetooth TPMS sensor into a keg (someone ought to try it - FOR SCIENCE! :D) one should expect external coupling, and 1/4" NPT is eminently doable - use an adapter on the 1/4" male flare threaded stem of a ball lock gas QD, for example, for easy-on/easy-off use.

Worth it? Not my call :)

Cheers!

Unless one would like to try dropping a Bluetooth TPMS sensor into a keg (someone ought to try it - FOR SCIENCE! :D) one should expect external coupling, and 1/4" NPT is eminently doable - use an adapter on the 1/4" male flare threaded stem of a ball lock gas QD, for example, for easy-on/easy-off use.

Worth it? Not my call :)

Cheers!
Problem is that inside the keg there could be no atmospheric pressure reference.
On a ball lock keg you could just "T" it in at the outlet side of the regulator since it is already 1/4" NPT.
I could definitely fit it together, probably without even going to the hardware store :).

There's no need for a "pressure reference", TPMS sensors are the digital equivalent of spring-loaded pressure gauges...

Cheers!

There's no need for a "pressure reference", TPMS sensors are the digital equivalent of spring-loaded pressure gauges...

Cheers!
I was under the impression even those used a "pressure reference". The reference in that case is the ambient (outside) pressure. That's why a spring loaded pressure gauge reads higher pressure at higher elevations even if the amount of air in your tires hasn't changed.

Well it appears that they do have a spoofed reference via a pressurized chamber internal to the sensor.
So while it doesn't know the actual ambient pressure, it has a baseline that the sensor membrane deflection is calibrated to.
Sort of like hitting the Tare button on our grain scale.
A simple spring system would not work inside the tire.

Well it appears that they do have a spoofed reference via a pressurized chamber internal to the sensor.
So while it doesn't know the actual ambient pressure, it has a baseline that the sensor membrane deflection is calibrated to.
Sort of like hitting the Tare button on our grain scale.
A simple spring system would not work inside the tire.
Huh. No notion of "outside the tire" pressure. That's an interesting way to do it!

I put together a fairly simple device using an esp-12f device and a pressure sensor plus a small power supply module, that gives me the pressure on a simple web server on my phone, needs a bit of soldering knowledge, assembly on a small prototype board and fitting inside a plastic box, I use it to keep track of my fermentation pressure. if anyone is interested I can post the project.

Not sure about this but…..
What about remote tire pressure monitoring. They have them for vehicles. I think it’s a valve replacement and a control box thingio

My Brewbot (www.mybrewbot.uk) has a pressure sensor that interfaces with their brew controller. The brew controller also interfaces with temperature probes, Tilt, and with smart plugs to control fermentation. It uses bluetooth for the Tilt interface, and wifi to post data to the cloud.

First of all, I wish everyone a Merry Christmas!
Nautilis WiFi pressure – is a device that receives data from a pressure sensor, shows it on the screen and forwards it to applications via a WiFi network. With the desired applications, you can monitor the desired values on your computer and mobile applications, depending on the type of application you are using. Currently supported applications are: BrewSpy (Send interval min 5min), SensorSpy (Send interval min 5min), Brewfather (Send interval min 15min). Depending on the application, in case of alarm values, they will be notified via a notification on the mobile phone.

The Nautilis iPressure device allows pressure units in Bar or PSI, and temperature in degrees C or F.

If you know what iRelay is... and you use iSpindel... The new version of the device now also supports a pressure sensor. So now, in addition to all the data from the ispindel, you can also monitor the external temperature and pressure... I haven't been using the ispindle lately because my cooking is always in the recipe (more than 170 batches) So I use the temperature sensor on the cable and the pressure sensor on the fermentation, and later it is useful for carbonation in the keg if needed. Also to see if my co2 is leaking.
I worked hard to make the device correct... And now after several months of testing, I can say that the thing is great. Unfortunately, the price is not the most favorable for the Croatian standard...but people started using it because apparently there were too many problems earlier, so they want additional security.
I would not like to do any advertising or send any links. If you are interested in any more details, just send me a message

Attachments

• ipressure sensor.jpg
    ipressure sensor.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hey guys, you will be happy to know we already have a RAPT device that will not only log pressure to the RAPT web portal but also enable you control pressure too.

As it can control pressure you can use it as a regulator and also use the same device as a digital spunding valve.

This device is also one of the reasons why we are doing so many changes on the RAPT profile control at the moment. At the moment our profiles on the RAPT portal are quite basic but in the future we will be able to create fermentation profiles that and not only set temperature throughout the profile but also set the spunding valve pressure out of the fermenter and even automatically start force carbonating once you have crash chilled.

This product should be released in Australia in late 2023.

2023-01-13 15_33_58-SOLIDWORKS Premium 2022 SP4.0 - Digital Spund Valve.jpg

As you can see we are also making this device so it seamlessly integrates into the RAPT fermentation Chamber too:

2023-01-13 15_40_39-SOLIDWORKS Premium 2022 SP4.0 - RAPT Corner.jpg

You do not necessary need the RAPT fermentation chamber as you can also use this as a stand alone device. It's a similar size and shape to the Blowtie Spunding valve and Duotight Inline Regulator. It also includes a small 0.96" OLED screen so you can easily see what is going on and set the pressure.

It's hard to know what the retail price would be in America I think it will probably be about USD$30-$60

Back