Why is my beer this flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
I have been home brewing all grain for almost 4 years and have made some great beers but this specific beer was ok but not what I expected. Here's the recipe
9lb 2 row
2lb wheat malt
4oz crystal 40
1oz black patent for color
.75oz Columbus @20.5
.5oz centennial @15
.5oz Columbus@15
1ozeachColumbus & centennial@0
Wyeast 1056
Fermented at 66
Dry hopped with 2 oz each centennial and Columbus in secondary.

I was expecting some dank and citrus but it has a slightly odd flavor. It's slight sweetness even though it finished at 1.009. like hop candy.

Is it the black patent or just bad hop combo? Any ideas?

Not much black patent in the bill probably not the issue. But, with the grain bill and hops you have it should have been a decent flavor. Columbus and Centennial are a good combo of hops. Maybe you had some kind of infection that set in during fermentation or maybe in your packaging vessel(s)?

It is definitely possible. I don't think it is cuz I have never had a problem. But there is a first time for everything. I usually don't do a secondary so maybe that was the issue. Could oxidation cause that flavor

It is definitely possible. I don't think it is cuz I have never had a problem. But there is a first time for everything. I usually don't do a secondary so maybe that was the issue. Could oxidation cause that flavor

It could, yeah. I have only done secondary twice. I've been in the camp of primary only for a while now. Seems to clean up the beer better and creates less of a chance for oxidation. I had a brown ale that ended up getting a little oxidized and had kind of a lemony/stale flavor to it. Again, it was transferred to secondary via a siphon and possibly got a little oxygen to it. I'd still drink it though, if it's palatable.

Oh it's definitely palatable. The keg is almost gone lol. And like said I haven't done secondary in years. Not really sure why I did with this beer.

I'm thinking it could be diacetyl .. a result of fermentation challenges. With a lot of hops. it combines to a 'odd flavor' and can be perceived as sweet. Many things during fermentation could contribute .. yeast stress from low pitch rates, high pitch rates, cold initial wort temp, high initial wort temp, duration at temp, control of ferm temp, etc. Infection can also cause diacetyl off flavors...

Your recipe seems fine.. and oxidation would take a few weeks to appear, and be more likely wet paper/cardboard in nature.

Glad it was drinkable though! :)
--LexusChris

Interesting. I didn't know that low wort temp could cause that. I used 1056 in 5.5 gallons of 1.054 beer and fermented at 66 in a fermentation chamber with the probe inside the beer. And it was at that temp for over a week before I transferred it to secondary to dry hop. I do think I'm going back to using wlp001 instead. It's just easier to use although I miss the tube instead of the new packets

Back