why is my beer flat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gone

Reaction score
this is my fourth beer and my others turned out fine. its a brewers best german altbier kit. i brewed on a saturday. i spilled about 80% of my yeast. i pitched the little bit i had but had to wait till monday to buy another packet, which i added.

it spent one week in primary and two weeks in secondary. then i bottled as usual with my priming sugar. i cracked a couple open last night. it had only been 10 days, i knew they were probably green and not fully carbonated, but my patience had run out.

both bottles were completely flat even for a ten day beer. im thinking my yeast may have died out before bottling. any thoughts?

i fermented around 58 or 60 degrees as i thought would be safe for this style of beer. the bottles have been around 60 also. is the colder temps just going to take a little longer to carbonate. hopefully thats all it is

You definitely need to bring the bottles up to 70 or just a little under. The cooler the bottles are, the slower it will take to carb.

Was your FG in the appropriate range?

i dont see where the sheet gives me a final gravity but after three weeks fermenting it should be complete. the kit said it was a good beer to cold ferment and cool condition which is why i kept the temp so low. hopefully in a couple weeks it will be ok

Yeah, 60 is really cool to carb your beer. 70+ is your best bet. 60 will still work, but it might take 6 weeks or longer.

i dont see where the sheet gives me a final gravity but after three weeks fermenting it should be complete. the kit said it was a good beer to cold ferment and cool condition which is why i kept the temp so low. hopefully in a couple weeks it will be ok

What was the FG when you measured it?

10 days is simply not enough time for your beer to carb. The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And even carbonation doesn't mean that they will not still be green and need more time to condition.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

og was 1.07. im not sure how accurate this is since i was rather intoxicated when i took the reading which is probably also the reason i spilled my yeast.

fg was 1.02 which i know is accurate

10 days is simply not enough time for your beer to carb. The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And even carbonation doesn't mean that they will not still be green and need more time to condition.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)
Your comment is very pertinent, I made an Old Ale at 1080 OG and tested it after a week and it was almost flat. I was a little bit afraid it wouldn't work out ! When I shake the bottles softly some have gaz and other not. I'm trying a good one tomorrow after 2 weeks in bottle. Thank you !

Latest posts

Back