Why is it so anti-craft beer to get drunk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakadaka

Reaction score
It seems the overall tone of this website is that any consumption of beer to the point of drunkenness is frowned upon. I know a lot of you don't agree or subscribe to that, but it seems whenever people are talking about the effects of their homebrew, there are 5 comments that say "I brew beer because I love the artisan value of it, and I enjoy the taste. Drinking to get a buzz is juvenile".

Don't get me wrong, I don't brew light american lagers to just get loaded, but I enjoy drinking 6 (or 12) of my homebrew with friends on the weekend. Likewise, I enjoy drinking just 1 beer with a delicious homemade pizza or something. I just feel like people get ridiculed on this website for enjoying not only the taste of their homebrew, but also the intoxicating effects of said beer.

And this is in no disrespect to members or the forum as a whole. If it weren't for this website I would probably be making beer that wasn't good for anything except chugging in a beer bong.

Discuss.

Well, this is "homebrewtalk.com" not "homenonalcoholicrbrewtalk.com"

Anyone who says they drink beer solely for the taste or the artisticness is a fecking liar! :D

I haven't felt that tone in here. Maybe I dont pay attention to why others drink just get on here to find out how they make it. Not saying you are paying attention to the wrong thing just talking about myself personally. I can't speak for everyone but I like both to taste good brew and get a nice buzz. Depending on the situation depends on how far that goes.

Thats what I am saying. Now I can understand that this is a great website, and people don't want it to divulge into glorifying alcoholism or anything like that. Addiction is a terrible thing, and alcohol has a certain stigma in society, but on a forum about beer, I would expect people to be a little bit more tolerant of intoxication.

EACs will say anything about a BMC drinker, so long as it sounds derogatory. "They don't care about the flavor of their beer; they just drink to get drunk" is one such statement.

I haven't felt that tone in here. Maybe I dont pay attention to why others drink just get on here to find out how they make it. Not saying you are paying attention to the wrong thing just talking about myself personally. I can't speak for everyone but I like both to taste good brew and get a nice buzz. Depending on the situation depends on how far that goes.

I read a thread a couple days ago where somebody was talking about the alcohol content, and I can't remember if he wanted more or less, and everyone was just thrashing him for wanting to get drunk on it. I am not saying sacrifice taste for the sake of a buzz, but no matter what beer you are drinking (except O'douls lol) if you have enough you are going to get drunk.

It seems like the more you like to drink in one sitting, the less of a "craft" brewer you are.

Wakadaka said:
I read a thread a couple days ago where somebody was talking about the alcohol content, and I can't remember if he wanted more or less, and everyone was just thrashing him for wanting to get drunk on it. I am not saying sacrifice taste for the sake of a buzz, but no matter what beer you are drinking (except O'douls lol) if you have enough you are going to get drunk.

It seems like the more you like to drink in one sitting, the less of a "craft" brewer you are.

Seems like you don't spend enough time in the drunken ramblings forum.

so rather than replying in that thread, you started a thread with little context to follow up on. good times. if anyone is here to brew beer, but not get drunk, please raise your hand.

Lol. I was wondering what the reference to something like that would be, and that is perfect. I drink to the point of intoxication about twice a month. And I'm in college. I don't have a beer every day, or even every other day. I am not an alcoholic, but of course that means I am, because the first stage is denial.

My point is, if alcohol didn't have the mind-altering effects, I don't think this website would be so successful. I am also a member of a pizza making forum, and I love pizza. Although, that website doesn't seem to have the same dedicated members as this one nor is it quite as helpful.

People just seem to demonize the effects of alcohol, even on a website that is about making it

I haven't noticed any attitudes against the buzz here. I like the buzz and I am not ashamed to say it. I do not like the, oh no where are my pants feeling though. If I eat something a beer or two will probably die. If I light the smoker I'm gonna have some brews. Not so much that I can't keep up with the temp on the smoker though. Moderation is key.

so rather than replying in that thread, you started a thread with little context to follow up on. good times. if anyone is here to brew beer, but not get drunk, please raise your hand.

I'm not trying to call anyone out. If someone wants to brew beer so he has one to drink with dinner then I don't have a problem with that, that is their own choice. But for me I love the taste of my beer AND the effects of it.

I'm raising my hand. I'm NOT about the buzz, but the taste of the beer. I just spent 12 ****ing weeks not being able to drink beer with alcohol, because of my surgery.....and I really appreciated the couple of good tasting N/A beers I was able to find. And that's why several of us ARE into trying to brew good tasting non alcoholic beers. Not all the time...but still.

I'm not being snobby, I'm not bashing bmc drinkers, but unless you have open heart surgery or an illness that prevents YOU from being able to drink, don't call us snobs OR hypocrites, OR liars.

If you wanna get blitzed that's your trip. But don't disrespect those of us who have other views.....

There's some things to be said for enjoying something that tastes great that doesn't get you a DUI, or liver disease, heart damage or that you can drink when you're pregnant, or recovering from a major illness.

When they FIRST discovered my heart issues, I was told I would have to stop drinking, forever, they thought I had one of the rare problems that made the idea of 2 drinks bad.

I went home and cried....It's me we're talking about. I told my GF that it was tantamount to castrating me. Taking something I'm passionate about away from me. Thankfully they supposedly don't still believe that. I haven't pressed the issue with my cardiologist, and have just starting drinking alcohol beer again....

But it ain't funny.....and it isn't something to trivialize.

Maybe when you are in your 40's you'll understand that.

turtle said:

Raising hand.
Criticize me all you want... But I'll say upfront that I have a very low tolerance, AND I'm breastfeeding my son. So I only have 1 at a time, but I LOVE the process, and if I'm gonna drink occasionally its gonna be something tasty.

I don't agree with that. I feel the more BMC you are the less craft you are. I think some people do try to raise the bar on beer as is on wine. You dont go to the store and buy an expensive bottle of wine and ask for the one you will get fn wasted on. You get one that tastes delicious. Getting wasted is just an awesome byproduct.

the overall tone i've felt here is that being buzzed/drunk is ok. but brewing high ABV beers/cheap hooch wine to get sh*tfaced is frowned upon.

i think the big deal here is the threads that sound like they may be pushing the limits of what is craft brewing and what is making beer entirely to get drunk. those are really the only places that i've noticed people talking down on getting drunk. the "well, can i just ferment some cane sugar in this 5 gallon bucket i got at Home Depot? what's yeast can i put in to get it to like 20% abv?" are the most blaring example, but there are others ive seen that have the same spirit, but not such direct wording.

when i drink my homebrew, it's for that flavor, and if i get blitzed in the process, that's ok, but i also often feel it's a waste of good beer.

one example of the tolerance of being drunk/very buzzed is the EdWort's Apfelwein thread, which is one of the most viewed and posted on here, where he makes several comments about how high the alcohol content is, and even gives advice on how to drink it and avoid a hangover.
ApfelweinWarning.jpg

No criticism towards people who don't like getting drunk, I am just commenting on the criticism towards people who might enjoy getting intoxicated.

I think that people associate BMC beers with getting drunk, and craft beer with some sort of sophistication. It seems the the craft beer drinker who enjoys having more than 1 in a night is treated closer to a BMC drinker.

I'm not saying the only reason to drink is to get drunk, but it shouldn't be considered the worst reason. I like to drink good tasting beer when I want to get drunk, and I feel that that shouldn't make me any less of a beer connoiuseur (sp.) than someone who only drinks 1 at a time for the taste.

the overall tone i've felt here is that being buzzed/drunk is ok. but brewing high ABV beers/cheap hooch wine to get sh*tfaced is frowned upon.

i think the big deal here is the threads that sound like they may be pushing the limits of what is craft brewing and what is making beer entirely to get drunk. those are really the only places that i've noticed people talking down on getting drunk. the "well, can i just ferment some cane sugar in this 5 gallon bucket i got at Home Depot? what's yeast can i put in to get it to like 20% abv?" are the most blaring example, but there are others ive seen that have the same spirit, but not such direct wording.

when i drink my homebrew, it's for that flavor, and if i get blitzed in the process, that's ok, but i also often feel it's a waste of good beer.

Trust me I am a big supporter of drinking good tasting beer. I would rather drink 20 good tasting beers instead of the 1 that will get me drunk. And I have found that after a certain number of homebrews, a PBR seems more economical, but up until that point I will drink a delicious homebrewed IPA or Stout or something with no shame.

I've got a fairly high tolerance and I usually get too full before I get "drunk" off of beer -- unless it is a really strong beer. I like the taste and the moderate relaxation it offers.

When I want to unwind and get a strong buzz/drunk on -- often friday nights -- I drink scotch and have a homebrew alongside it.

Trust me I am a big supporter of drinking good tasting beer. I would rather drink 20 good tasting beers instead of the 1 that will get me drunk. And I have found that after a certain number of homebrews, a PBR seems more economical, but up until that point I will drink a delicious homebrewed IPA or Stout or something with no shame.

let me reword. if i drink enough of it tht i no longer taste what i'm drinking, it's a waste :)

and if i am going to drink, to get drunk or otherwise, i would always rather something that tastes better.

I think it may be an age/maturity issue.

As a college student I admit that on weekends the goal was to get drunk but as I've aged and become more mature I prefer to stay in control.

Not to say that getting drunk happens on occasion but it's no longer a goal.

As a person matures (gets old) hangovers hurt a lot worse.

I do not like to get drunk, however I do enjoy the slight euphoria that drinking a 9% dubble over a couple of hours gives me after a long day of work.

I would rather drink 20 good tasting beers instead of the 1 that will get me drunk.
If the only beer available is something I don't care for (and that includes most BMC), I won't drink beer.

If the only beer available is non-alcoholic beer, I won't drink beer.

For me, it’s a package deal. Flavor and buzz. Neither can exist without the other.

cfonnes said:

I do not like to get drunk, however I do enjoy the slight euphoria that drinking a 9% dubble over a couple of hours gives me after a long day of work.

I agree with you a 100%. If I decide I want to enjoy a little buzz I just usually will sip on a stronger beer instead of killing a ton of beers. I myself do not enjoy getting wasted but a well crafted beer with a little higher % is nice every once in a while to help me relax. To each his own in my opinion.

Man, ain't that the truth. That being said, I was recently in the Fat Cat in England and I just didn't give a good god damn about the hangover. The beers were just so good and there were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many of them.

http://www.fatcatpub.co.uk/

I've never really picked up an anti buzz vibe in here tbh. Hell, I love to pop into chat and talk garbage with the folks/trolls that reside within.

There's lots of people in here. There's always going to be someone here whom knocks someone else for something that has to do with something and some other things while promoting something to do with some belief they hold.

I've seen people knock and promote just about everything here.

I don't mind a friendly buzz. Nothing worse than a belligerent, foul mouthed sloppy drunk, though. I enjoy being around a few people with whom I have had a few nice beers and am sharing a nice buzz with, but being around drunks, regrdless of what they got drunk on, can be very much a drag.

It sounds like moderation is the key. I, like most of the posters so far, think both flavor and buzz are important. Luckily, it takes me a few, so I get to enjoy plenty of flavor before the buzz hits me. But there is never a need (for me) to go to Bud to just get drunk - plus it would take me all night!

anyone who says they drink beer solely for the taste or the artisticness is a fecking liar! :d

+1

and lets put it this way . . . I dont brew a single beer less then 6% ABV and thats only because lately I have been trying to reduce the ABV of my brews . . .

Revvy said:
and I really appreciated the couple of good tasting N/A beers I was able to find. And that's why several of us ARE into trying to brew good tasting non alcoholic beers. Not all the time...but still.

I'm not being snobby, I'm not bashing bmc drinkers, but unless you have open heart surgery or an illness that prevents YOU from being able to drink, don't call us snobs OR hypocrites, OR liars.

If you wanna get blitzed that's your trip. But don't disrespect those of us who have other views.....

There's some things to be said for enjoying something that tastes great that doesn't get you a DUI, or liver disease, heart damage or that you can drink when you're pregnant, or recovering from a major illness.

Which NA beers did you like? And what progress have you made on brewing reduced- alcohol beers?
I also love the taste of beer but don't don't always want the side-effects. When I get drunk, I try hard to keep it to where I won't end up with a hangover.

so raising my hand as well. I won't fault those out there who wanna get blitzed.. have at it. I can't stand being plastered, I really hate the hang over, but just for reminders, I set out to get hammered once a year. I'm not a snob about it though.

I think more often than not, this place is about improving the craft. I've seen very little opposition to those who like to get druk.. Now I have seen opposition (and rightly so) to those who would stoop so low as to admit publicly that they drink BMC... for shame.

Even if you're at a party, and it's the only "beer" they have... drink some burbon for pete's sake.... BMC only paves the way to hell my friends... it's a gateway to Zima! and we all know what people who drink Zima are like... :D

I love to get hammered on good beer and wine and spirits, it's the best of both worlds.

I've just turned 40 and have a 3 year old kid, so it's hardly ever during the week because I have to work, but Friday or Saturday I like to tie one on, again not every weekend, but the purpose of drinking is to get inebriated. Whether that's a small or a large buzz is irrelevant, it's the same purpose. If it ever got to the stage where I couldn't sleep without a buzz on then it's time for me to give it up.

Wow, if anything, I get plenty of notion that people on here like to get a good buzz on. I've been to several homebrew days where there wasn't much stumbling around acting like idiots, but I can say with confidence that most of the people there had at least a little stinger the next morning!

I'm not usually one to promote intoxication, especially if the person can't act at least NICE when they are drunk, but for instance, this weekend I KNOW I'm going to get a good buzz going! Going to sample a BUNCH of homebrew. I'm not going just go get plastered, but it's the sad side effect. Hopefully I'll be able to pace myself like I envision now.

I do enjoy the mellow feeling sometimes when I want a relax. But other times I wish I could have a tasty beer and NOT have any alcohol. That's the reason why I am joining forces with a few people on here to look into making delicious NON ALCOHOLIC homebrew. At least to see if it can be done. I would like to be able to come home and have a full-flavored, full bodied beer after work and not have to worry about driving the kids to dance, or running to the store.

But I can guarantee you this: There are a lot of people here who would laugh at the attempt to make a non alcoholic homebrew.

Whatever. To each their own, and as long as these people aren't out driving on the roads after drinking, or beating up on their kids and/or wives, I could not care less.

-Homer

There's lots of people in here. There's always going to be someone here whom knocks someone else for something that has to do with something and some other things while promoting something to do with some belief they hold.

I've seen people knock and promote just about everything here.

And this is going to happen in any and every forum. I've been on enough to see that :p

My two cents ... I agree with most people on here in that I enjoy drinking great beer and also enjoy the inevitable relaxing effects of alcohol. Almost any time I crack open a beer I don't have the goal to get hammered, but sometimes they are flowing a little too well and going down a bit too easy and next thing you know ... BAM you gotta real nice buzz on or even more than just a buzz. It happens. But to each his (or her) own ... whatever makes you happy!

I often will forgo food just so I can drink beer on an empty stomach so I'll catch a better buzz. I can eat later. There, I said it. And I know I'm not the only one.:)

Latest posts

Back