Quantcast

Why is fermentation so mesmerizing? (video)

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

drunkatuw

Reaction score
[youtube]lO5UUgelCak[/youtube]

I've brewed about 10 batches, but this ever gets old. The first thing I do when I wake up is check my beer and then again before I go to work and then when I get home from work and before I go to bed. I love watching the yeast do their work and listening to the clanking of the airlocks.

Video quality isn't great, because I didn't have time to get out the camcorder and instead used my digital camera.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
Indeed, and those 2 seemed to be doing synchronized swimming for a few seconds there. lol.(remember that effed up olympic "sport"?)

IMHO switching to the S air lock upped the enjoyment even more.

MULE

Reaction score
I am certainly not above pitching a sleeping bag nearby and reading Moby Dick out loud for the beer. :)

Ooompa Loompa

Reaction score
I spent 5 minutes before work today just staring at a batch that I just started yesterday. It is sooo cool, and you're right, it doesn't get old.

beta pleated sheet

Reaction score
Fermentation makes me feel like I'm playing God. I mean, you have all of these little organisms at your mercy, how cool is that?

I play music for my yeasties, and sometimes I talk to them and tell them how proud I am. I've thought about singing to them, but then I remembered how bad my singing voice is so I decided against that.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
It is a miraculous transformation triggering a deep sense of relaxation within you, knowing that soon you will be able to imbibe. :D

cheezydemon

Reaction score
My first beer was a really black stout.......the fermentation frightened me......

You could not see through this stuff. The only sign of fermentation were these icebergs of yeast that eventually broke the surface and then dissolved back down. I was just sure it was fuc'd lol.

beta pleated sheet

Reaction score
DeathBrewer said:
my little yeasty buddies love death metal. makes them mosh like crazy.

:rockin:
I find if you're making a starter, you should play something sexy like Marvin Gaye. Makes them reproduce faster!

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It is awsome.. like a living lava lamp with sound effects... I only wish that when i visit micro's that i could see like a 15 bbl glass fermenter going to town... id never leave

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
watching it is ok, but for me...... i'm an airlock sniffer!!!!! love the smell!!!

cglkaptc

Reaction score
I took my fermenter to the beach. He got a little sun burnt, but in the end he had a great time. His name is Damien, and he too loves metal. In fact his favorite band is Everytime I Die.

He also likes bowling.

Chaos_Being

Reaction score
I'm guilty of "checking" on my fermenters so I can watch the action too...and showing them to everyone who comes over too. My wife teased me about that last weekend when my stout was really churning :p