Why is everyone only into IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost bought one of those 24oz tallboys of Busch Light last night, but then I saw they were selling the 32oz Miller High Lifes (High Lives?) for 10 cents less.

I regret nothing.

Oh man... those 24 oz Buschs are overrated.

The beer warms slightly, so the flavor goes from ice cold watery aluminum to lukewarm banana copper before you can finish it. Sucks.

Love brewing them even more.

Oh man, those glorious aromas filling the entire house and lingering for a couple hours afterward! not much tops that.

on the flip side, my wife just made some soap tonight. now the whole house smells like some girly perfumey ****, and it's a lingering mess. i'm pretty sure it's messing with the aromas from my ESB.

Oh man... those 24 oz Buschs are overrated.

The beer warms slightly, so the flavor goes from ice cold watery aluminum to lukewarm banana copper before you can finish it. Sucks.

Huh, didn't know it got that warm in Sioux Falls :D

The citrus was tasted at a brewery, so I assume it was fairly fresh.

The rest were tasted from a combination of Store bought, brewery samples, and from an afternoon spent at Kombat's place. I assume his homebrews weren't that old.
Citra hops are the best eh!

What breweries did you guys go and visit?

Citra hops are the best eh!

What breweries did you guys go and visit?

I'll chime in, since I'm not sure Venari remembers the names. :)

I took him to Broadhead, my favourite local craft brewery. Then we stopped into Nita, and finally did the tour at Whiprsnapr. We ended the evening with supper and beer samples at Big Rig. I also took him to the LCBO so he could load up on some good craft beer for the rest of the weekend.

We then connected up again Saturday morning and brewed 5 gallons of Dogfish 90 clone.

YEAH! ONE OF THESE THRADDDDS!

Also, pallet:

new_wooden_pallets.jpg

Don't cha wish your pallet was full like mine?

Also, why is everyone only into putting peppers/chilies in their beer?

****'s gross, knock it off.

This. I love peppers, but I don't want to drink them.

And it's frustrating when I go to the bottle shop and everything they have in stock is chili pepper beers. I'm not exaggerating. Literally everything. Not a single stout or pale ale in stock. They sell nothing else. Damned chili pepper beer fad is taking over all the shelf space.

Also, why is everyone only into putting peppers/chilies in their beer?

****'s gross, knock it off.

Allthough i've not done it myself, i'm a pepper fan / chilihead and i do indeed like beer, but the thought of mixing the two kinda made me wanna barf a little. At one homebrew club meeting i went to somebody brought in a habenaro pale ale, It was a bit hop forward and the habs played well with those hops. The heat wasn't overwhelming but was there. I was pleasantly suprised but probably wouldn't drink more than a 6 pack of them at a time and if i get around to making a batch would probably end up giving most of it away as i couldn't really see it as a daily quaffer. But the combination really isn't bad.

And it's frustrating when I go to the bottle shop and everything they have in stock is chili pepper beers. I'm not exaggerating. Literally everything. Not a single stout or pale ale in stock. They sell nothing else. Damned chili pepper beer fad is taking over all the shelf space.

Well, that's Texas for you.

Allthough i've not done it myself, i'm a pepper fan / chilihead and i do indeed like beer, but the thought of mixing the two kinda made me wanna barf a little. At one homebrew club meeting i went to somebody brought in a habenaro pale ale, It was a bit hop forward and the habs played well with those hops. The heat wasn't overwhelming but was there. I was pleasantly suprised but probably wouldn't drink more than a 6 pack of them at a time and if i get around to making a batch would probably end up giving most of it away as i couldn't really see it as a daily quaffer. But the combination really isn't bad.

It's never a good combo. It's just wrong.

I douse my food in hot sauce, eat all kinds of peppers, they are delicious. I just don't want to chug hot sauce or feel capsaicin in the back of my throat when I'm trying to get drunk.

I've got the ingredients for my Hellfire IIPA coming in tomorrow. My first imperial, I just gotta re-source the peppers, as my son's ghosts aren't doing well. I only need 3 ghosts, 3 scorpions & 3 reapers or other. He's a real chilihead, & wanted to brew one, but since getting a house with fiance, well...do I hear a whip crack? I just wanna try it once, besides keeping promises that could help my youtube Brewvision channel by way of associations & such.
Otherwise, I love a good IPA! Last night, I tried one of the craft beers Aldi's sells now. It's from Wild Range Brewing co, Rochester,NY, 6.9%. A tasty IPA that easy to drink & quite enjoyable. Hops are there, but not overpowering. Like a session IPA, dang they were easy to like...:tank:

It's cause nobody's buying the ****!

I've got the ingredients for my Hellfire IIPA coming in tomorrow. My first imperial, I just gotta re-source the peppers, as my son's ghosts aren't doing well. I only need 3 ghosts, 3 scorpions & 3 reapers or other. He's a real chilihead, & wanted to brew one, but since getting a house with fiance, well...do I hear a whip crack? I just wanna try it once, besides keeping promises that could help my youtube Brewvision channel by way of associations & such.
Otherwise, I love a good IPA! Last night, I tried one of the craft beers Aldi's sells now. It's from Wild Range Brewing co, Rochester,NY, 6.9%. A tasty IPA that easy to drink & quite enjoyable. Hops are there, but not overpowering. Like a session IPA, dang they were easy to like...:tank:

Wait, Aldi's sells IPA now?

Yeah, they have some half dozen or so craft beers now, the Wild Range Brewing Company being one. Bacher German Lager as well as some browns & pales. Gonna explore some more of'em, as the IPA was a sessionable one, & darn tasty after a hot day's ridin'!:rockin::mug:

I'll chime in, since I'm not sure Venari remembers the names. :)

I took him to Broadhead, my favourite local craft brewery. Then we stopped into Nita, and finally did the tour at Whiprsnapr. We ended the evening with supper and beer samples at Big Rig. I also took him to the LCBO so he could load up on some good craft beer for the rest of the weekend.

We then connected up again Saturday morning and brewed 5 gallons of Dogfish 90 clone.

Nita! I couldn't remember the name of the second brewery we were at. I did sign up for their email mailing list, but only Whiprsnapr seems to be sending me anything.

I drink my stouts from that pint glass Broadhead was kind enough to give me, so I remember their name.

Also, Kombat, you never told me how that DFH90 turned out!

Interesting enough I have never been to any of those! I love covered bridge brewery, behind the pale, and clocktower is a good brew pub. We are lucky in Ottawa to have a decent craft beer scene.

Interesting enough I have never been to any of those! I love covered bridge brewery, behind the pale, and clocktower is a good brew pub. We are lucky in Ottawa to have a decent craft beer scene.

I enjoyed the selection over at Mill Street Pub. Haven't eaten there, but the beer is good :)

Also, Kombat, you never told me how that DFH90 turned out!

Not bad, I still have some on tap. It wasn't as hoppy as I'd hoped, and even the bitterness is fading now. The alcohol ended up higher than I'd expected, so I'm finding I have to take it a little easy with that one. :)

Yep, Beyond the Pale has some great beers. We actually just had the Craft Beer Festival here last weekend in the Aberdeen Pavilion at Landsdowne Park, it was fantastic. I got to try a bunch of breweries I'd heard were making great beer but had never had the chance to try, like Calabogie, Perth, and Whitewater. I tried Broken Stick, but to be honest, I found their beer a little estery and (dare I say) fusely. I wonder if they're still working on controlling fermentation temperatures.

Also, Amsterdam was a pleasant surprise. They brought a Brett IPA that I was skeptical of (I don't like sours), but the Brett was mild, and balanced beautifully with the hops and bitterness of the Boneshaker base. It was delicious!

Haven't tried Covered Bridge yet, I don't think they were at the festival, and they're a bit of a drive for me to get to their brewery out in Stittsville. More breweries seem to be popping up all the time in Ottawa - I just last night discovered a new one: Toque de Broue. Apparently they just started in May, and don't even have an actual brewery yet (they're contract brewing out of Kitchesippi). Waller Street brewing just had their grand opening a month ago, and Lowertown is less than a year old. It's a great time to be a beer lover in Ottawa. :)

Not to change the subject of ipas, there is a hop fest in onieda, my from September 18-20. There will be several breweries there. If your in the area you should check it out. Cheers

Not to change the subject of ipas, there is a hop fest in onieda, my from September 18-20. There will be several breweries there. If your in the area you should check it out. Cheers

Bought my ticket for the beer sampling today!

Seems like the "craft beer" section of the local LCBO's are pretty much ALL ipas, with one or two ales thrown in.

can't find a decent stout without visiting the breweries themselves.

Back