Why is commercial beer getting more expensive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad I can still get a case of Sierra Nevada at Costco for $25, just over a buck a bottle and the 12oz shorties are my favorite bottle anyway.

We pay $40 for a case of generic light lager here in Ontario, and sixpacks of decent craft beers go for $13+

We pay $40 for a case of generic light lager here in Ontario, and sixpacks of decent craft beers go for $13+

Sounds like a whole thread of reasons to spend your drinkin days in the States and move to Canada when it's time to be constantly sick.

I buy commercial and brew my own. For my light beer I drink I get Genesee Light for $3.99 a 6 pack of 16 oz cans. I can get commercial/local 6 packs for $7-12 which I don't mind. I occasionally splurge on a few bombers. I don't mind spending the money.

I'm with you. I love me some good craft brew. That is why I brew my own. But a $5 6pack of pbr sure goes down easy for the price.

What's more confusing to me is when bombers are 2x expensive per ounce as the SAME beer in 12 oz form... Are we supposed to be idiots?

Last time I was at the beer store they had two of the same EXACT beers, one was a 16 oz and one was a bomber. The bomber was $12.99 and the 16 oz was $12.49. Uhhhh.

The more expensive bombers I buy (not all that often) the more I realize they just aren't worth it. One of my more recent purchases was a barrel aged barley wine for $18 that was pretty forgettable. What was the name again?

What we need is craft beer that is along the lines of a "Two Buck Chuck" wine. Not fantastic but very drinkable and the price can't be beat!!:D

Wouldn't that be an average homebrew...;)

EDIT: That would be a below average homebrew; now that i caught up with my post and reread the qoute.

EDIT2: I think one of my fingers must be dyslexic.

was playing through the noses in Michigan for years until more breweries and output and increased . Bells alone prices moved up then down when their out put increased. Hells bells , no pun intend lol ,Kroger's was undercutting the small guys by selling a 6 packed for $7.99 this summer where normally it goes for 10.49 most small places. It don't help up here with Michigan messed up limited distributors system where brewers have to go to the middle man to get their beer to market. Still your going to play more for quality beer anywhere. It sounds like THE MAN down south has seen $$$ in their eyes on the nation trend on drinking real beer and not that water down **** we were all subject to drink in the old days!:mug:

I think it's about $9.99 for a craft sixer in my neck of the woods, but I haven't bought one in so long that I can't be certain; I honestly haven't bought beer in years, unless I'm at a brewpub/bar.

The reason beer cost more now than in the past is because the dollar is worth less. It takes more of them to buy the same stuff. We can all thank the owners of the federal reserve bank for this amazing way to bleed the public.

The reason beer cost more now than in the past is because the dollar is worth less. It takes more of them to buy the same stuff. We can all thank the owners of the federal reserve bank for this amazing way to bleed the public.

Bingo!

Oh Murray.

I can't speak for others but I don't buy much beer these days other than the occasional growler from local micro breweries to support them ( and there are plenty here in VT ). Some of them command higher prices ( Hill Farmstead's growlers are about $15 and worth it ) but I don't buy that often. I'm cheap and I like good beer which is why I homebrew.

I got into homebrewing 25+ years ago because the quality and taste of commercial beers was unacceptable. I realized after a while (even with extract brewing) that, excepting my time and labor, it was substantially cheaper to brew my own. Fast forward to about 10 years ago. The availability of fantastic commercial (craft and brewpub) beer at reasonable prices made me seriously consider whether it was worth it to continue homebrewing. In the end, I decided to continue because I enjoy creating and I shifted to all grain. Fast forward again to about 3 years ago. Craft beer prices started going out of control. Much as I love beers from craft breweries, and even though I can afford them, I just don't like paying $9-$11 per six-pack. I now mostly buy only when at a brewpub and I have redoubled my homebrewing efforts.
I salute the maturation of craft beer, and I am in awe of Ballast Point's $1bn sale, but that valuation is built on the backs of the consumer and I, for one, am pulling my dollars away from the table.
On tap: Belgian Dark Strong
Carbonating: Brown Porter
Lagering: Vienna Lager

This thread has made me more dedicated to mastering all-grain homebrewing...

Now where's the best place to buy an Igloo mash tun with false bottom?

This thread has made me more dedicated to mastering all-grain homebrewing...

Now where's the best place to buy an Igloo mash tun with false bottom?

This is where the BIAB mafia tells you not to bother.

Don't bother. Just get a couple paint strainer bags from Home Depot and give it a shot.

Over in Ohio where I am there was a reckoning of sorts when places like Deschutes and New Belgium finally entered distribution and started off strong with $7-8 sixers and $4 bombers this year. It really undercut even local brands and I haven't seen prices going up lately.

Most of the grocery stores near me let you grab singles for $2. It's funny doing it for a $7 bomber and getting it for $4 instead. That said, most beers I want to try are bomber-only unfortunately.

I do the singles occasionally and don't feel guilty of picking the lone imperials that are sitting next to a bottle of heineken etc. but if they will sell them to me at 1.99 i will take it.

I used to get sam adams bombers for 2.39 and lion stout from sri lanka for 2.99, I miss those days

I do believe there are a lot of overpriced "craft" beers on the market these days. Others are very well made and warrant the price IMO.

We watched this in my economics class.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk[/ame]

As I understand it, bud/coors/pbr are having slumping demands and only expansion in the craft beer is expanding demand. Rabo bank did a big study on beer/barley demand.

All grains are very soft. True, 14 barley was in short supply, but 15 barley is ample. Corn and rice are particularly cheap.

Transportation is at a 7 year low price.

I don't know about new taxes.

I have also seen a rise in commercial beers but this has led me to be a better shopper 8). I brew about 50% of what I drink but I also enjoy a bud light with dad.
The base usually has 24 packs of bud light for $16 and often have a beer marked down to $3.25 a sixes. Right now that is Blue Moon White IPA.
I also shop at SPECS (beer liquor store) and with my retired military ID I get the beer at cost.
I keep an eye out for deals but still buy things I like. Just bought some Founders breakfast stout and Stone Arrogant Bastard Box. If I like it, I'll pay the price. Same reason I still eat ribeye steak. Expensive yes but I love the taste.

I like the simplicity of the mash tun much more than the BIAB. And my burner on my stove sucks.

The first sentence is confusing...outside of extract I can think of no more simple system for brewing. The second statement is not a BiaB or separate mash tun issue.

That said, brew how you like...right now I like the simplicity and speed of indoor brewing with my all manual eBiaB system verses my old three tier.

maybe my stove is awesome, but the way I've been brewing for the past 16 months (eg. since my son was born) is 2x 6 gallon AG batches back to back on my stove BiaB style. The wife takes care of him for the 4-6 hours I'm cleaning, brewing, sanitizing & cleaning, then in about a month or two I have 10 gallons in my keezer ready to roll and about 24 or so bottles for travel. I also make A LOT of cider & apfelwein since it takes less labor & time to run a batch.

The first sentence is confusing...outside of extract I can think of no more simple system for brewing. The second statement is not a BiaB or separate mash tun issue.

That said, brew how you like...right now I like the simplicity and speed of indoor brewing with my all manual eBiaB system verses my old three tier.

I do BIAB in a cooler. Best of all worlds!

Love these threads where every member feels the need to express their unique perspective on the craft beer scene, IPAs, brewery etiquette, IPAs, BMC vs craft, buyouts, attitude from their LHBS, or IPAs

Love these threads where every member feels the need to express their unique perspective on the craft beer scene, IPAs, brewery etiquette, IPAs, BMC vs craft, buyouts, attitude from their LHBS, or IPAs

So you love all the threads then.

I love when people say pointless stuff in a pointless thread, so I too love em all, including your posts.

So you love all the threads then.

I love when people say pointless stuff in a pointless thread, so I too love em all, including your posts.

Thems fightin words! Pistols at high noon, 20 paces!

Where I live (Edmonton, Canada) a 6 pack of Sculpin costs about $28, and we just finally got Sierra Nevada products here for about $22 per 6 pack. Stone is in the $20+ range too. Deschutes about $19 per 6 pack. Most 6 packs are in the $12-$20 range. It's just the way it is here. I can't afford to buy those beers all the time, but I will splurge every now and then because frankly it's the only way to try them here.

Ballast Point's Sculpin sells for $16 a sixer here in San Diego, where it's brewed!!

I can only imagine what it costs once you get out of town. They're very proud of that beer I guess. I don't think it's that good.

Ballast Point's Sculpin sells for $16 a sixer here in San Diego, where it's brewed!!

I can only imagine what it costs once you get out of town. They're very proud of that beer I guess. I don't think it's that good.

Actually not too much more here in the Baltimore/Annapolis area. I get Sculpin or Grapefruit Sculpin for $17 a six-pack plus 9% tax. I think the beer is yummy, but at $3 a bottle that's pushing it. Gonna brew a batch of it.

A few years ago I used to get Saranac's High Peaks Imperial IPA (NY state) for $30 a case(!), and it reminds me of a sweeter, somewhat less fragrant version of Sculpin.

Every week I can't help myself not to buy at least one 4 pack of tall boys of my new go to BOOM SAUCE from Lord Hobo.

$13 and I've seen the same 4 pack for $15 other places. Hurts

Back