Why I avoid bars in my area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again... check my posts. No answer... just pointing to a question.

Now, as to interesting questions: Interesting questions get more interesting, not as people advance answers, but as they advance the question. That is, the question becomes polished and refined and becomes more enlightening and more interesting. We are, of course, tempted to say "That question is dead! Answered! (BJCP, Jamil, Palmer, your god here) said so! Look here!" That's not interesting, unless you're talking about a question like "is the world round or flat?" It's an almost religious approach ("The God in whom I trust has spoken.) The question as to the difference(s), if any, between a porter and a stout, is, I would hope you'd agree, not a simple question like that. Which is exactly why I offered no answer, just the question.

1. Never trust a man with two first names.

2. Never trust a man who tells you something without telling you something.
(IE, take a stand or stand aside. If all you are going to say is nothing, then say nothing.)

This thread has definitely taken an unintended tone. No beer snobbery intended on my part.

Let me lighten it up.
Years ago, my wife was working on a dive boat in the keys. There was a husband and wife on the boat and while the husband was soaking in the sun on the ride out to the reef, the wife had a couple big books and was trying in vain to read them while the boat bounced and the wind blew the pages.

My wife asked, "What are you reading?"
The tourist answered, "I'm trying to study for the bar exam."
My wife replied, "Oh really?! How do you make a mai thai?"

:)

I avoid bars because I'm on the high side of 30 and worked the door at a local bar for a couple years. Been there, done that. The food and beer we make at my house beats the hell outta 90% of the places. On the plus side, cheaper, better quality, no driving. On the negative side, no new cleavage to stare at mindlessly.

;)

I live a block away from my favorite bar in the world, "Andy's Corner"
http://andyscornerbar.blogspot.com/

NO Bud on tap or anywhere that can be seen.

One day I went in there with a friend of mine from Florida. His wife asked for a MG 64 the owner chuckled while he reached for a bottle of water and gave it to her. Her said it was the same thing:rockin::tank::mug:

Lately I hate going out to bars and restaurants simply cause they are just too damn lazy to actually *clean* their glassware. Since I often get bottled beer if there's nothing on tap I want I also always ask to pour it myself. Then I look at the glass they give me and lately it's like 85% of the time I am disgusted and have to ask for another, clean, glass. There's often left over lipstick, lip prints, crud (most likely from skin), and full on soap film. And when I drink beer from a place that doesn't clean their glass well I always wake up the next morning with a swollen Uvula.

This one "trendy" bar in Hoboken I will never go back to ever again. I sat at the bar once waiting for my wife and watched the bar tenders (all intentionally hot chicks with cleavage showing) clean the glasses - well it wasn't actually cleaning. They'd get the glasses back and literally, I kid you not, dip the glass in a sink of water and put it back out for use!!! 100% honest - no cleaning, no spinning brushes, nothing. Dip and return to use. I watched them fill dirty glasses with caked on lipstick and re-serve them to people. Soon as the wife got there I told her and we split.

Rev.

I've read long and nuanced debates about the difference between a porter and a stout, most concluding it doesn't REALLY exist. Enlighten us.

History. Minor differences in ingredients, and several letters in the name :)

Yeah, I get so annoyed at all the frosty mugs and lack of head from a lot of local watering holes. We even have radio promos for a place with 29 degree beer.

bdeck02 said:
Yeah, I get so annoyed at all the frosty mugs and lack of head from a lot of local watering holes. We even have radio promos for a place with 29 degree beer.

And I mean farenheit, not Plato or Lovibond.

It's the only way to drink a but light, if it goes pass 50 degrees you can taste everything.

some of the places I stop in look at me weird when I ask for my draft in a warm glass. I don't bother explaining it.

If a bartender hands me a frosted glass I shatter it with my kung fu grip in one hand and punch him/her in the mouth with the other.

I don't put up with ****.

Back