Why drop hop in phases?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSnacks

Reaction score
So many hop schedules I've seen call for one dry hop and then a second dry hop--why? With hoppy beers I shoot for the shortest possible route to bottles so it seems like one dry hop and then a second hop just drags out the process.
Why not just dump the whole mess of hops in, give it a couples days and then cold crash?

I'm not sure that actually answers my question. To some extent that answers the question of whether to dry hop in primary or secondary, but let's pretend you have 4 ounces of hops to use in dry hopping.
Why is it beneficial to use two ounces first and then a second two ounces 5 days later?

That quote seems to make the case for dry hopping in primary (in the presence of yeast) and then transferring to secondary and dry hopping again. But that's not normally how people do it--they transfer to secondary and then do a two-phase dry hop.

I'm not sure that actually answers my question. To some extent that answers the question of whether to dry hop in primary or secondary, but let's pretend you have 4 ounces of hops to use in dry hopping.
Why is it beneficial to use two ounces first and then a second two ounces 5 days later?

That quote seems to make the case for dry hopping in primary (in the presence of yeast) and then transferring to secondary and dry hopping again. But that's not normally how people do it--they transfer to secondary and then do a two-phase dry hop.

That quote is not limited to primary or secondary, there is much to be taken from that.

As far as a double dry hop in secondary. Perhaps they simply do not have the head space in their secondary to handle the hops all at once? I don't know, what you are reading is simply a documentation of a given brewer's procedure, there are many variables. I do not dry hop this way, so I could not answer under the context you request.

Back