Why Don't My Hops "Pop"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewalk02

Reaction score
Every IPA I have ever made starts out tasting nice and hoppy going into the primary but 2 weeks later the hop character is greatly diminished. What is the secret to keeping the hop aroma / bitterness around?

Here is the recipe that I recently made... http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/grapefruit-pulpin-all-grain-kit

I use regular tap water but I throw in the recommended amount of 5.2 to get my ph correct.

That recipe is more of a pale ale than an IPA.

#1 - Throw the 5.2 in the garbage. At best it does nothing, at worst it adds some unsavory elements to your water.

#2 - Hop forward beers really benefit from high sulfate water (e.g. 300ppm). You can get this pretty easily with gypsum. I suggest you do some reading on the topic though. It can be straight forward though (as in add a couple teaspoons per 5G).

#3 - If you really like hops, you'll find you need at LEAST 8oz/5G to get anything you'd consider hoppy.

Second dumping the 5.2. It doesn't make your mash become 5.2. What does it do? Not a whole heck of a lot other than add unnecessary sodium.

IPAs are good with a mash pH around 5.3-5.35. You might have a pH that's too high, which really dulls the hops.

Second dumping the 5.2. It doesn't make your mash become 5.2. What does it do? Not a whole heck of a lot other than add unnecessary sodium.

IPAs are good with a mash pH around 5.3-5.35. You might have a pH that's too high, which really dulls the hops.

I agree. Using tap water can be great, depending on what's in (or not in) your water.

I use a bit of gypsum in my IPAs and pale ales, but not as much as some do. I start with RO water, and aim for a mash pH of 5.3-5.4 for IPAs and pale ales. This almost always will require some acid, either in the form of acid malt or lactic or phosphoric acid to the mash when using tap water.

I second the "throw away the 5.2 garbage" and the "your mash pH is probably a bit too high" advice here.

Do you know what is in your tap water? Can you get a report from the water company? It'd be great to know the calcium, magnesium, sulfate, chloride, sodium, and alkalinity of it and then we can give you specific additions to make it great for IPAs and other hoppy beers.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned carbonation levels. It, along with many other things listed in this thread, can have a fairly major effect on perceived hop aroma.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned carbonation levels. It, along with many other things listed in this thread, can have a fairly major effect on perceived hop aroma.

I think it's because they figured out the likely culprits before coming to carbonation levels. That's one of the last things on the list to consider when it comes to diagnosing not enough hop presence, though I do agree, it is on the list.

OP, all great advice on here so far. A lot of the guys on here are very wise in the art of hoppy beers. BUT as I always say, just listen to Yooper. Any advice she gives is pure gold.

There's a lot of sodium, so you might want to dilute it with some RO water and then add some of the calcium, chloride and sulfate back in with some calcium chloride and gypsum. (others might chime in if that level of sodium is okay)

And you'll probably want to treat it with Campden to get rid of the chlorination.

Back