Why does nobody brew lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murray

Reaction score
I have been brewing ale for some time and want to start trying lager. I have the equipment now to do it, but find that very few posts on this site are related to lager. Is it just me, or do home brewers not make lager as much? If so, I there a reason for this?

Well, I don't know what the percentages are, but I'm pretty sure there is a lot of lager brewing going on.
Brewing an ale is simpler.
Have you found enough info to get started?

I brew lager!

Just takes even more patience than normal is all, but it's worth it

i don't because I lack the fermentation chamber to do so, and generally prefer Ales. Though eventually I hope to expand.

I have been brewing ale for some time and want to start trying lager. I have the equipment now to do it, but find that very few posts on this site are related to lager. Is it just me, or do home brewers not make lager as much? If so, I there a reason for this?

Probably most homebrewers make ales but there are many like myself who also do lagers. As was mentioned above it does require extra time and the correct temperature control but the basic techniques are very much the same. If you have the setup and the inclination then by all means have at it. :mug:

Not everyone has the fermentation chambers necessary to lager a beer, and especially because you can't have a beer lagering while also fermenting an ale (or even another lager during the fermentation phase).

I would love to make some lagers...provided I can lager it at 40F in my keezer.

most of what i brew is lager beers. I would say 75% of the beer I brew is lager. I did make a lagering chamber that can hold two 6 gal. buckets and two kegs at the same time, or it will hold 5 kegs.

I been brewing for two years and have done 4 lagers, a maibock, kolsch, Oktoberfest and a Czech pils. I don't have the equip, so I have to use my garage in the winter and a bucket filled with water to stabilize temperatures. Havent had any issues so far, cross my fingers.

Tons of people here make lagers. Brewing lagers is what got me hooked on homebrewing. I can't find too many commercial examples of the traditional lagers I make. I really think some of the hybrid guys on here are on the right track. Just as good beer with half the time. Good luck. Lager brewing can be difficult but its very rewarding.

I brew lagers. I think the main reason why you don't see it on here is because it is more involved and considered difficult. I'm sure that many homebrewers brew lager beers. However, I would guess that the majority of the people that come to this site do so while a new brewer and either lose interest after a batch or two, or get the info that they want and move on.

There are only a couple handfuls of experienced homebrewers who continue to contribute regularly to this site.

I favor them, however I live in the dirty south and the heat is relentless. I try to do at least one in winter with the fridge and regulator. It was 80 F today so it usually ruins the attempt.

I have two reasons:
1. I want a hoppy ale 98% of the time.
2. Because of #1 I can't justify extra $$/space for cold fermenting

Hop lovers are fortunate to have 4-5 new varieties (or blends) available each year so you will have a lot of recipe posts just about old recipes with new hops.

Malt lovers are unfortunate in that there is rarely a new malt available to experiment with.

PS> I am NOT saying you have to only like hops or malt! Both can work great together!

I have a ferm chamber (adapted freezer), but I find lagers boring, or perhaps not worth the extra time. I usually stick to IPAs, stouts, and belgians

The extra equipment for most folks is limiting. I do one or two a year because my basement temps in a water bath allow me to well but honestly that's about all I want to drink when it comes to lagers.... I prefer Belgians :)

I brew lagers...exclusively. I plan on trying some ales this year. I like easy drinking refreshing beers but love a hoppy IPA too.

This is great news and very encouraging, thanks Guys ! I have recently bought an old fridge and rigged up some temperature control and can fit a carboy into it and ferment at low temps, and hopefully lager at even lower temps. I have also got my "ale equipment" still free, so can make bres more frequently with that setup, so I can afford the time. I was just hoping that it was not much harder to get a good tasting lager and that's why people didn't do it. I am looking forward to giving it a crack !

I usually brew a couple of lagers during the winter. With a bit of luck, and a lousy climate, I manage a somewhat stable fermentation temperature between 9 and 12 C.

I have 6 different lagers going now. I can only do lager in the winter time when my basement gets cold enough.

I looked back at my notes from last year. 25 batches with 13 being lagers and 12 ales. One of my first purchases was a used freezer and a temp controller for a lager/fermentation chamber. I brew them year 'round as two lagers are my "house" beers.

Matter of fact. After thinking about it I might try to make this fullers esb a lager in light of this discussion.

Id say about half my beers are lagers. I always try to keep two of the kegs with some sort of german lagers. Right now its a bock and a vienna lager. In march Ill brew and octoberfest.

First lager in primary right now :mug:

I think the answer is mainly the temp controlled fridge requirement. Thats what was stopping me from trying. Also seems like a tad more work: prepare a large starter, provide plenty of O2, etc. Not a whole lot more though. I look forward to finally being able to try and brew some of the German lager types that I really enjoy.

I brew both Ales and Lagers, My Dunkle and Munich Helles have been some of my better beers. I enjoy both Hoppy ales and clean malty lagers!

Planning on doing another lager soon. I'm not in the mood for one much in the winter, but if I start late winter it can sit in the ferm chamber until the weather warms up. My problem is not having a dual stage controller, so I count on the cold weather to offset my heater.

That's not a big deal to me since I really prefer the ales usually. Brewing a lager is for other people and as an exercise in brewing experience for me.

Back