Why does my RIS look like this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I've made this same stout with just very small tweaks here and there. This version I added 1.5lbs more of marris otter and 8oz more of dark dme that's it however the the predicted srm on this is 73 but I really think it looks more like a chocolate brown than the dark black the other batches I've made have looked. Not sure why this is so ill post the grain bill maybe I'm to low on a grain after bumping up the base malt but I just can't see at srm 73 how this could be anything but jet black as it was before. Here's the grain bill.

Marris otter 63%
Roasted barley 5.8%
Choc malt 4.9%
Flaked barley 3.9%
Flaked oats 3.9%
Special b 3.9%
Black patent 2.9%
C120 2.9%
Dark dme 9.7%

Here's a pic in the fermenter. Like I said the other versions I made of this were clearly jet black, even the blowoff was darker.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479950354.638682.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479950371.962924.jpg

how long has it been sitting? is it possible that you still have a lot of yeast in suspension changing the color?

Yeah yeast made one of my porters the color of chocolate milk whil fermenting. Was good and black when done.

how long has it been sitting? is it possible that you still have a lot of yeast in suspension changing the color?

Maybe this is it these pics were taken like two days into primary fermentation and I used a huge starter of 007.

Maybe this is it these pics were taken like two days into primary fermentation and I used a huge starter of 007.

Yeah with that much yeast at work I'm surprised it's as dark as it is.

Well update. Now that the yeast dropped for the most part it now looks jet black like it should.

Latest posts

Back