Why do people Quit brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my curmudgeon-eye view of this.

I'm starting to get my brain around the opposite idea: brew more, go out less.

It seems like too many craft breweries are just phoning it in. We drive across town, sit in uncomfortable metal chairs, and pay $6-$8 for a 12 oz shaker "pint" of ok beer. Then pay $15 for a meal from some sketchy food truck, and drive home, hoping my BAC isn't across the line.

I can brew decent beer for <$1 a bottle, cook the food we want, and enjoy it ourselves or with neighbors in our living room or patio.

If I want something special, like a 4-pack of Duvel, I can swing by the local Total Wine.

As the founder of "Curmudgeons Unlimited" I approve ^that message^.

curmudgeons_unlimited.jpg

Cheers! 😋

It seems like too many craft breweries are just phoning it in. We drive across town, sit in uncomfortable metal chairs, and pay $6-$8 for a 12 oz shaker "pint" of ok beer. Then pay $15 for a meal from some sketchy food truck, and drive home, hoping my BAC isn't across the line.

I can brew decent beer for <$1 a bottle, cook the food we want, and enjoy it ourselves or with neighbors in our living room or patio.

If I want something special, like a 4-pack of Duvel, I can swing by the local Total Wine.
I'm with you! I stopped by a new place, they sell craft beers on tap from Wisconsin only. Worth a stop to check it out but at seven bucks for a pint I won't be a regular.

I enjoy my bar and outdoor space for a couple pints and something tasty from the grill. When the weather is right my bird Roxy will join me. Sometimes my wife too.

This is not being a "curmudgeon". It's just being realistic. I brew the beer that I like and I can do it consistently. In a flight of beers at the brewpub, I often wince when I taste them. I was asked recently what beer I buy at the liquor store. I couldn't answer because I don't like what's on the shelves and I only buy in those rare times where I ran out. And then it's a hard decision because I know I may not enjoy what I buy.
And to turn things around on the OP's original post, that is why I don't quit brewing.

Just throwing all this out there as food for thought. Makes me wonder how 5 gallons became the de facto standard batch size to begin with, and how many people if they scaled back from that might find themselves still enjoying it.
I started with 1 gallon, then 5 gallons, and now 6.5 gallons. I try to keep my equipment to a minimal not only to keep cost down, but to keep my brew space to a minimal. The problem I had with small batches is I felt like I was always brewing and out of beer. I began 5 gallon batches which was doable in the kitchen but with some challenges. The 5 gallon carboy had it's challenges as well. When the Big Mouth Bubbler came out for a reasonable price, it changed my whole process. I had to get a bigger boil pot, a dedicated mash-tun, a propane burner, and some kind of garage setup. I enjoy garage brewing. I would rather brew once every 2-3 months than brew every 2-3 days. Maybe this is how the 5 gallon batch became the "de facto" standard.

For me, I quit because life got in the way. My brewing buddies had moved. I moved to a new house and it didn’t have a 220 outlet (gas drier) for my induction plate. it got to the point where I could brew, but didn’t have the motivation to rack and keg. Then we had kids.

I’ve come back because a friend moved to town who used to brew, and I have a little more time to dedicate to it again. It’s crazy how much kit I still have lying around.

My interests tend to ebb and flow according to what goes on, although they typically revolve around food and fermentation. I’m glad I’m back to brewing again.

Some of us walk away from it for a while because we get tired of "Are you done yet???" ... "Are you done yet???"... This is turning me into more of a curmudgeon every day...
I get that all the time. Either she's irritated that I'm doing something she frowns upon, or I'm not doing something she wants me to do. Did I get married? Yes! Did I agree to do whatever she says? Damn! Same answer.

"I've got a headache."

Last edited:
I loved being a chef, but 3 months in ICU after my Harley and I got run over by a Goldwing stopped that career path; brewing beer is a way I can still create tasty things to share with people. I love making beer, loved making it 2-4 times a month. Then we got a plague; so who can we share with anymore? It's frustrating to spend so much time perfecting a process that you can't use because you can't drink it fast enough to justify making more. If I could share it more, I would make more, but I also haven't replaced it with anything else; it's the hobby I love.

When I graduated from college I was really into cars, even did a little drag racing, a hobby that became incompatible with my new wife's interests and something either of us wanted to be dragging a baby to. I was developing a real interest in woodworking (thank PBS and Norm Abrams) so I sold the car and got into woodworking which I could do out in the garage as time permitted. I was REALLY into woodworking for several years. I had periods of waning interest and at one point sold off some equipment to get into some metalworking but ended up really just upgrading several items. It took a lot of space and I had a dedicated building. When our kid got into late middle school we realized the right thing for us was to move "into town" and bought a house in a subdivision. That was truly a family decision, nothing I ever felt forced into. I was going to do a basement shop but in the process of sorting through all my stuff, deciding what to keep, what to downgrade, etc, I realized how dusty everything was and that I just needed to give it up. I kept or traded for some basic tools and did some utility projects around here but have now even pared back to just basic maintenance tools. After a couple years here I got REALLY into brewing. Now we are empty nesters, less than a year from going back to being DINKs and thinking about the future and retirement in a decade or so. We're probably not going anywhere soon but when we do, I could see us landing in a small condo to allow us to rent or buy a second place to winter. I anticipate that plan would be pretty incompatible with continuing this hobby at the scale I'm into it now and I'm not sure I'd be happy scaling back because one of my interests is striving for that elusive "perfect" process (same when I was into woodworking.) Maybe I'll take up birding next (doubtful.)

I like getting out of the house. Often spend more being there than the cost of a couple pints at the pub/brewery.

Exactly

When I win the lottery (ha!) I might just hire someone to brew for me, after a trip to Belgium to try a hundred different beers (research is tough work, but it's got to be done).

In the meantime, even though some (not all!!) of the thrill is gone, brewing gives me more return for my effort than almost anything else. It just doesn't take that much of my energy. Turn on the electric kettle, go drink coffee. Start the mash, hit golf balls in the backyard or go for a walk with my wife. Start the boil, argue with strangers on the internet. It's not like mountain climbing or something.

Let's be honest, it take 4 hours to brew from grain and most people have a hard time waiting for the microwave to stop.

Covid got a lot of people out of brewing including me. I was doing a foundation repair and then a kitchen renovation and didn't have time to sleep let alone brew. I also could buy good beer for almost the same price to make it.

I just started back up and have three 5 gal batches done in the last two weeks. I was encouraged by my wife who wanted my smoked porter for fall. Kids are out of the house, diy chores are mostly done and have time again.

As already been stated it’s the time commitment. It really hard for me to find a solid half day between work and family life. I brewed *a lot* but then I had kids and if rather enjoy time with my kids than brew beer.

Now I’ll probably do about 4 batches a year. I find the time by taking a day off work to be alone.

As already been stated it’s the time commitment. It really hard for me to find a solid half day between work and family life. I brewed *a lot* but then I had kids and I’d rather enjoy time with my kids than brew beer.

Now I do about 4 batches a year. I find the time by taking a day off work to be alone.

I’ve taken a couple long breaks and now I’m back to brewing about once a year. Reasons:
1. I don’t have the time I used to.
2. I don’t have the space I used to.
3. I drink about 1/8th of what I used to. Even then, I’m usually reaching for whiskey instead of beer.

This is a big one for me. The pandemic burned me out as I was doing nothing but drinking my homebrew at home. Now that we're past most of that and I do nothing but work from home all day, when I want beer, I want to go out. And also I don't drink nearly as much as I was and trying to be more health conscious. In essence, homebrewing has kind of lost its purpose for me. But I haven't quit yet...I don't think I ever could, but the though often crosses my mind. I could sell most my stuff, use that money for something more useful, use the space for something more useful... But I've been brewing since 2008, it just doesn't feel right to up and quit something you've put so much time, money, and physical and emotional energy into. But I just turned 40 a couple months ago and, ya know, sometimes it's just time to move on.

To the original question, I quit brewing because my physical and mental health was in the toilet. 270, serious depression. Diagnosed with PTSD and better handle on the medical stuff (brainstem damage is better understood), stopped drinking entirely.

Weighed myself two days ago, 212 and physically fit - medical team has helped hone in on dealing with a permanent medical condition, and I've learned to deal. Mental health has been on a good trajectory for years, with good help from a few key people, most especially a great PTSD psychologist, with whom I connected.

I've not missed the beer so much over the years, but have always missed brewing. I will have a beer every few days now, but loving brewing again. And being part of this pretty awesome community again.

I've been reading through this to see what others are saying. I've been at the cross road a few times wondering how long I can go. I've been in this since 1985 and still enjoy the process, the history and just sipping on a beer I made. I don't drink like I used too and I try to not over consume although I do sometimes. It's a fine line.

I moved about an hour away from most of my drinking compadres and that has decreased the demand on my pipeline. A 5 gal keg of beer lasts me a couple of months now cause I'm not that big on drinking alone. That has cut me back to about 5 or 6 brews a year. I give some away and take it with me when I visit friends - but that requires bottling and I have really grown to dislike all that extra work. It's slowed me down a lot, but I don't think I will ever stop brewing completely. It's not as cool as camping and paddling but it's a lot less dangerous than dual-sport riding. Eventually I may sell the bikes and the canoes, but the Grainfather will probably end up in a Thrift Store after I'm gone.

Don't drink anymore
Health has declined
It's become too expensive.
Scared of addiction, becoming an alcoholic.
Needed the money.
Got hung up on process, upgrades cost an arm and a leg.
No one to share it with.
Moved.
Friends moved.
Found religion.
Not enjoyable due to circumstances
Nothing more to learn
Other hobbies take precedence
Started a family
Decided to get "healthy"
Drank too much homebrew
Only did it for the process, never drank the beer
Couldn't make drinkable beer
SWMBO said no more or else...
I'm the only one who drinks my beer
Bought expensive setup to try and make "good" beer but didn't really need it
Changed jobs, new job takes too much time
Promoted, job now takes too much time
Got DUI/DWI, thrown in the brig
New brewery venture failed don't want to see the stuff anymore
Went back to BMC
Saving time buying commercial craft instead

Don't drink anymore
Health has declined
It's become too expensive.
Scared of addiction, becoming an alcoholic.
Needed the money.
Got hung up on process, upgrades cost an arm and a leg.
No one to share it with.
Moved.
Friends moved.
Found religion.
Not enjoyable due to circumstances
Nothing more to learn
Other hobbies take precedence
Started a family
Decided to get "healthy"
Drank too much homebrew
Only did it for the process, never drank the beer
Couldn't make drinkable beer
SWMBO said no more or else...
I'm the only one who drinks my beer
Bought expensive setup to try and make "good" beer but didn't really need it
Changed jobs, new job takes too much time
Promoted, job now takes too much time
Got DUI/DWI, thrown in the brig
New brewery venture failed don't want to see the stuff anymore
Went back to BMC
Saving time buying commercial craft instead
That's a rough road, Huck. I'm sorry you went through it and offering you encouragement and best wishes.

It's not as cool as camping and paddling but it's a lot less dangerous than dual-sport riding.
I got back to my deeper love, wilderness. Went hunting with my son in our northern big woods, 4 days and over 20 miles of hard hunting on the move. I'm training for a western hunt with him, so that's a heck of a lot healthier than pounding beer daily.

connor and dad - banner.png
IMG_6017.jpg

20231119_124621-min.jpg
20231117_160919-min.jpg

I view brewing like cooking. You have to eat/drink. Even though I will never be a chef, nor want to be a chef, I cook out of necessity. I cook well enough to get by and occasionally pull off something tasty. My alternative is to go out and get fast food or domestic beer. I can't afford to go to a restaurant or buy craft beer for a lot more money, although very tasty. Most people don't eat out their whole life. I can't cook a Tarte Flambee nor want to but I can make a decent pot of goulash, again, with left overs. Affordable and beats fast food any day. My worst beers have always been when I tried to brew something above my skill level, like a triple chocolate stout. I always resort back to a basic ale so I don't go thirsty. Still better than any domestic beer.
I identify with this pretty heavily. Brewing has become more of a subsistence thing than anything. Because, as someone else said, "craft" beer sucks! Everyone and their brother thinks they can do it now and no one has the bells to tell them NO, they can't, what they make stinks. Or maybe I'm just a snob. That's probably more accurate LOL And as MaxStout said, the prices are astronomical for mediocrity. I turned in my craft beer lovers card a while back...
But if I want cheap beer, I typically grab a dirty thirty of Hamms or something. You guys who have Yuengling as your go-to cheap beer are LUCKY. My fridge would always be stocked with that if we could get it in Iowa.

Y
I identify with this pretty heavily. Brewing has become more of a subsistence thing than anything. Because, as someone else said, "craft" beer sucks! Everyone and their brother thinks they can do it now and no one has the bells to tell them NO, they can't, what they make stinks. Or maybe I'm just a snob. That's probably more accurate LOL And as MaxStout said, the prices are astronomical for mediocrity. I turned in my craft beer lovers card a while back...
But if I want cheap beer, I typically grab a dirty thirty of Hamms or something. You guys who have Yuengling as your go-to cheap beer are LUCKY. My fridge would always be stocked with that if we could get it in Iowa.
Yuengling - joining in.

Did you get the thirty pointer? With your oozy laser radar heat seeking missile launching shot gun?
Nope. In fact, covering easily 15 square miles, I saw exactly 3 rubs, no scrapes, and with no snow and 40's, tracks were impossible. At the draw below, we did sit, and my son saw a deer at about 150 yards but on the run and into the brush. Couldn't tell whether it was a buck or doe, and no shot anyway.

20231119_125331-min.jpg

Tough, tough year for the herd, poor creatures. I hope with the warmer winter they have it easier this year.

And no, definitely not a modern hunter. Grew up hunting chapparal, first rifle was a model '97 Marlin 22LR, built close to then (1897), heavy octagonal barrel and iron sights. This is my rifle for northwoods hunting:

guide gun and 2.5 x 20 Leu FXII scope.jpg

Marlin guide gun 45-70. Not much has changed, except my begrudging acceptance my eyes aren't what they used to be so I have to accept the scope.

OP and others, sorry for hijacking the thread. I'll close now on the hunting/wilderness thing.

Back on topic...

Seems there's a distinction between quitting and taking a break that needs to be made here. Some folks are saying they left brewing for a number of years, but never sold their equipment off. Breaks from anything are fine, unless of course if it's your marriage or relationship. That usually doesn't result in coming back to it with the same passion and drive you had to start. LOL But sometimes, it does... I say, 3rd time's a charm or 3 strikes and you're out...

In fact, covering easily 15 square miles, I saw exactly 3 rubs, no scrapes, and with no snow and 40's, tracks were impossible.
I guess they've all moved to the suburbs. I can't walk around my block without seeing at least a half a dozen does and it's rare to go a week without seeing several bucks. They drive my dog crazy. Well OK, it's actually me driving him crazy by not letting him chase them.

I took a break because I bought a house a couple of years ago. It's quite the fixer upper, but I've finally finished about all of the projects that I'm going to do myself. I was only brewing about once a year. I've gotten back into brewing, and now that I have a house, I bought my own grain sacks, mill, and other equipment I didn't have the space for in the apartment. Brewing lagers is much easier with a garage now, too.

I took a break because I bought a house a couple of years ago. It's quite the fixer upper, but I've finally finished about all of the projects that I'm going to do myself. I was only brewing about once a year. I've gotten back into brewing, and now that I have a house, I bought my own grain sacks, mill, and other equipment I didn't have the space for in the apartment. Brewing lagers is much easier with a garage now, too.
I feel you. I gutted my house fueled by cubes of Hamms while unable to brew.

Then I got back to brewing as I started finish work, and it shows..

20231219_195124.jpg

My local circle of brewers from the '90's no longer exists ... quit, moved, or aged out. As one explained, "We brewed when good beer was exciting and hard to find. Now I can pick up anything I like at the corner carry-out."

The attrition my club has seen with the the drop of brewers is mainly the younger guys having their first kids and no longer having time for brewing, or on the other extreme, guys becoming head brewers in breweries and now do it for a job so don't have the time/will to brew at home also. I get it, I brewed in the 90's with extract, but once my son started playing sports, I was coaching Little League, then summer all stars, then youth soccer and travel soccer, so I got away from brewing until around 2011 when I picked it back up. Me, I am still chugging along batch number wise, but will be cutting back batch sizes in 2024 due to a health issue that's forcing me to only drink on occasion. But I am a competitive brewer, so that keeps me going, otherwise I would probably go back to like when I started and brew only 5-6 times a year.

My local circle of brewers from the '90's no longer exists ... quit, moved, or aged out. As one explained, "We brewed when good beer was exciting and hard to find. Now I can pick up anything I like at the corner carry-out."
Several folks I know have said the same thing, why brew it when it's all at the store now.

There's a very limited few I'll pick up at the beer store. I get very frustrated walking down the endless aisles of qwerky labels trying to find a clue of what kind of beer it is. I mean, the label art is nice and very creative to look at but I hate accidentally picking up a tangerine and cinnamon infused Oktoberfest some brewery thought would be a good brew.

I brew my own because I like my beer. I'm confident I'm saving anything but I know mostly what I'm getting.

Back