Why do people choose bottles over draft?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At a bar or at home? Personally there wasn't a lot of overhead in getting bottles for bottling when I first got into brewing, and I can bring beer to friends houses. Now that I have some brews under my belt I'm looking into kegging and building a kegerator. It just seems like the next step that I want to go in. At a bar it all depends on what they have on tap vs what they have in bottles, for me.

I mean in a bar situation. The guy next to me keeps ordering bottles when draft is available. I always choose draft over bottles.

rhamilton said:
I mean in a bar situation. The guy next to me keeps ordering bottles when draft is available. I always choose draft over bottles.

I would choose draft over bottle if the beer I wanted was available in both.

If we're talking homebrew, I only bottle for competitions, sharing, or aging; everything else usually gets kegged. It's usually cheaper for most people to start out bottling rather than investing in all the kegging equipment.

If we're talking commercial, I prefer draft assuming they know what they're doing and they've maintained their system. That said, I live in Utah, home of nonsensical liquor laws. It's illegal to serve "heavy beers" on tap here, so there's nothing on tap > 4% ABV. Anything greater than 4% can only be sold in a bottle or can. So even though I'd prefer just about anything on draft, my choices are a bit limited.

What kind of bar are you in? Maybe he knows something you don't.

If you're in a bar that has a sticky floor, dirty tables and everything in the bathroom is strangely wet, they probably don't clean their draft lines regularly, especially if it's a Octoberfest and it's July.

Dirty draft lines. More consistent carbonation. More choices in bottles.

So I'm guessing you like bottles. Wouldn't kegs give more consistent carbonation? Assuming that the bar doesn't keep their kegs are a ridiculous pressure

If BMC is all they got on tap and they have craft in bottles guess what I'm doing lol.

Yeah, there are some bars I go to where I won't order stuff on draft because I know they don't clean their lines.

I will also prefer to order stuff in the bottle if it's normally a bottle-conditioned beer, like a witbier, for example.

If you're in a bar that has a sticky floor, dirty tables and everything in the bathroom is strangely wet, they probably don't clean their draft lines regularly, especially if it's a Octoberfest and it's July.

That's the reason I would order a bottled beer in a bar over draft beer.

Not sure the guy next to know is drinking it for the same reason though...

Yeah, there are some bars I go to where I won't order stuff on draft because I know they don't clean their lines.

Since we are on the subject... If you are at one of those bars and you are ordering something that is always on tap there then even if they don't clean the lines wouldn't the lines only taste like that beer. Assuming the kegs are switched as soon as they kick, which they probably are.

I guess I'm asking what chance is there that any off flavors would get in there and what flavors would those be?(same beer, same lines, and hardly a break between empties).

Most people order bottles because they tastes less of the beer. A lot of people are so accustomed to drinking out a bottle, that they think its strange to actually taste the beer that comes from a glass.

There's a reason the vortex bottle was invented.

So in summary, people choose bottle over draft because they dont want to taste the beer, or they're paranoid that the glass will be dirty, or the beer lines are dirty. I only order bottles at one bar, and its at a bar at a train station, even then I dont really stick to that rule.

Since we are on the subject... If you are at one of those bars and you are ordering something that is always on tap there then even if they don't clean the lines wouldn't the lines only taste like that beer. Assuming the kegs are switched as soon as they kick, which they probably are.

I guess I'm asking what chance is there that any off flavors would get in there and what flavors would those be?(same beer, same lines, and hardly a break between empties).

It's more has to do with sanitation than other beers imparting flavor.

Depends on the bar and the brew... Guinness from a place known to do it up right (cleaning the lines more often than required, and KNOW how to get a great pour) or from bottle I'll go from tap. If the place isn't that good, I'm probably not even in there so I don't care. If they don't offer anything but BMC on tap, I'll get something decent (if possible) from a bottle. Although since starting to brew my own, it's really hard to get excited about beer served at many/most places (tap or bottle)...

At bars? I don't go to bars. You have to drive home from them. Now at a restaurant, it all depends on what they have how.

For home brewing, bottles were cheap and easy to start with. I've stuck with them for that reason too. Also, portability of desired amount. And I keep an aged reserve.

my mother in law always orders bottles, because she says the draft is "watered down"....... as a person that kegs beer, i have no idea how it could be watered down in a keg, secondly she always drinks molson canadian, pure BMC (probably the equivalent of miller or coorse in the US) to me, that beer is watered down no matter what you drink it out of....

Zuljin said:
No. I order a delivery and when the guy is leaving with my order, I ride home with him.

I actually LOLed at this comment. Thanks for the laugh...and waking my 5-month-old daughter up.

:)

If we're talking homebrew, I only bottle for competitions, sharing, or aging; everything else usually gets kegged. It's usually cheaper for most people to start out bottling rather than investing in all the kegging equipment.

I don't know I invested plenty drinking all that Grolsch to get the bottles. I just offered to give those bottles to a friend. Since I started kegging I get much better carbs. My last three have been really good and consistant.

If I'm in an unfamiliar restaurant or bar I always order bottles.

I have had terrible pours and I still can't drink Rogue's dead guy after a flat stale pint I had in vegas this past fall.

At bars? I don't go to bars. You have to drive home from them. Now at a restaurant, it all depends on what they have how.

Dont you have to drive home from the restaurant?

No. I order a delivery and when the guy is leaving with my order, I ride home with him.

spit-coffee.gif
Damn that was funny!!!!

I typically go for draft, but I'm convinced that some beers actually taste better in a bottle. Bells Oberon is a good example, every time I have it on draft the fruity yeast character seems to be missing. I can only assume this comes from bottle conditioning and the small amount of lees at the bottom of the bottle.

I too typically go for draft. But, it matters what is on draft. More important...where I'm at. If I'm in a dive, bottle please. There are more than a couple local watering holes, that I don't eat or drink draft. Lip stick on the glasses is a turn off for me. Just sayin.

I got a fat tire at a caps game and it tasted Like bluecheese I suppose it was dirty lines

rhamilton said:

You really need to know the place. I've been burned many times by dirty lines. Bottled beer is a much safer choice when out at most restaurants/bars. I assume you're not talking about BMC.

There is a local restaurant (part of a chain) that has Sam Adams on tap (it's that or BMC). It's like $2-3 during happy hour. On separate occasions I've ordered it and it comes out nearly flat -- less carbonated than cask -- and with a sour flavor. I can't understand what they are doing to the beer. Like they don't know how to adjust the regulator or clean the lines. I don't go often but when I do I know it's not the place to order draft.

Back