Why did this happen again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuNchBoX1371

Reaction score
So I brewed today and when I went to do my hydrometer test and it was 1.094, after adding 3 gallons of RO (Reverse Osmosis) water. Now this is the second time this has happened when all my other readings before that one were right on; anybody know why this is happening. Its not the temperature because I waited for the sample to cool in the fridge to about 63* but it said 1.091. Now again when this happened last time it came out to the right for the F.G. but what am I doing wrong for my reading to come out like this.

I'm sorry, what's the problem? your OP is not clear.

Is the problem that your hydrometer read 1.094/1.091 when it was supposed to be something else? What is your target OG supposed to be?

Was the hydrometer by any chance sitting on the bottom of the sample container?

Brew on :mug:

Did you mix?

Have you checked the hydro against the water alone?

No I haven't forgot about that

I'm sorry, what's the problem? your OP is not clear.

Is the problem that your hydrometer read 1.094/1.091 when it was supposed to be something else? What is your target OG supposed to be?
my target OG is 1.043

extract? partial mash? all-grain?

if it is extract it may not be well mixed

all the best

S_M
Extract; and that's what I thought but I just checked it right now and it still say the same. So I about to go check it against water.

Was the hydrometer by any chance sitting on the bottom of the sample container?

Brew on :mug:

I don't believe so I filled the jar as far as I could

No I haven't forgot about that

my target OG is 1.043

Extract; and that's what I thought but I just checked it right now and it still say the same. So I about to go check it against water.

I don't believe so I filled the jar as far as I could

with extract if you put the right amount in you are good it is very hard to get a good mix

that is why your FG is fine without your ABV being thru the roof

S_M

with extract if you put the right amount in you are good it is very hard to get a good mix

that is why your FG is fine without your ABV being thru the roof

S_M

Yea that's what im thinking but I would like to take a reading, so maybe a need to change my mixing method.

Also I just checked my hydrometer and its right on. Thank you for the quick response tho

I wouldn't worry too much, similarly I brewed an extract kit a month ago and had an OG of 1.028 instead of 1.049. I added all the correct ingredients and so assumed I'd just failed at mixing it properly. After it fermented, it came out great, tastes absolutely fine, doesn't taste like it has a really low ABV like the measured OG would suggest.

Assuming you added all the ingredients and the correct volume of water, I wouldn't worry about it at all. :)

It is strange that you would take another reading and still be so high.

With extract kits, if you use all the ingredients, get the right volumes, you can be pretty sure that you have the right OG.

Stirring up the wort very well is needed. Otherwise it will stay stratified and depending on where the sample was taken from you will be either low or high.

Thanks for the advice I will start and try and make sure its mixed well before I get my reading; but yes I think a refractometer would be a nice investment.

Thanks for the advice I will start and try and make sure its mixed well before I get my reading; but yes I think a refractometer would be a nice investment.

mix as you might extract is very hard to get a great mix

but by you putting the correct amount extract in to make your wort the sugar is there

so OG reading is good but not crazy important, FG on the other hand

all the best

S_M

Back