Why cant i figure this out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked at different starter calculators and come up with different results .

64 gallons of 1.060 wort

Using wlp004

I have 6 packs

I've done 3 step starters and still can't get enough cells. Don't know what I'm doing wrong .

One needs a large enough starter vessel/volume to make any of these calculators work for that size pitch needs (3580B cells @ 1M/ml/°P) You'll never get there with a 2 liter e-flask ;) I can force the Brew United calculator to come up with a four step starter sequence if I give it a "10 liter" vessel to work with actual 10 liter volumes..

Cheers!

Ok , I think I've found out the issue. I need a massive starter amount . I can do a 1 step starter of 10 L .

Yes, and - are you sure? Even if I drop down to .75M/ml/°P with 10L starter volumes the BrewUnited calc says two steps needed...

Cheers!

Thanks @day_trippr . Normally use dry yeast in the Brewery and this is the 1st liquid yeast ever in this place . I do starters all the time with my homebrew , but this big of a batch is a different monster.

Will not be doing this again. Ive contacted WL and can get a pitch big enough for 2bbl , then reuse .

Yes, and - are you sure? Even if I drop down to .75M/ml/°P with 10L starter volumes the BrewUnited calc says two steps needed...

Cheers!

I used brewersfriend . Unless I read it wrong .

I stand corrected . I read it wrong.
Gonna do a 2 step .

1st = 6L
2nd= 10L

Last edited:
Yeah, that batch size is extraordinary around here :D
I'll check the BF calc when I get a chance....

[edit] The BF calc also says two 10L 1.036 steps needed to get above the 2511B cells needed...

Cheers!

I've got 3 flasks .One 3L and two 5L . Gonna do a split 3L then add 2L of wort to each flask 24hrs later.

I'm hoping to start this Friday and brew Sunday.

Well so far so good . Just completed the 2nd step . Gonna let it go until tomorrow then crash and decant . Brewing on Monday

Attachments

• 20210605_184951.jpg
    20210605_184951.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Just another reference...
Assuming 6 packs of 30 day old yeast and default settings, BrewCipher's answer is two stir plate steps: 5.1 Quarts and 13.1 Quarts.

Thats a 2L difference between Brewersfriend and Brewcipher. I'm not sure how much this will affect the outcome of cell growth , but I dont have the means to get an accurate reading.

I think these calculators are a tool that allows us that dont have the ability to know exactly the cell count to get close enough to do the job .

I would like to take a class solely on yeast, fermentation and cell growth . Its pretty interesting and very important for us as brewers.[/QUOTE]

Thats a 2L difference between Brewersfriend and Brewcipher. I'm not sure how much this will affect the outcome of cell growth , but I dont have the means to get an accurate reading.

It could be that we're using slightly different growth curves. And/or it could be that you let Brewers Friend default to 0 days old yeast, or entered something close to 0 days (as a guess).

It could be that we're using slightly different growth curves. And/or it could be that you let Brewers Friend default to 0 days old yeast, or entered something close to 0 days (as a guess).

Yes that makes sense. Starters for 5 gallons batches is easy peasy. This is the last time I'll do it for a batch this size.

My solution to having enough yeast to pitch either in a large quantity or high gravity is to make a small beer first. This sounds like the perfect opportunity to make a ordinary bitter of ~1.036-40. The brew Dad calculator lets you go from a stir plate 1.5 L to a non stirred 20 L for the 2nd step. Oh yea, then I drink my starter after decanting(i mean kegging). Ya gotta love the 2-4.

My solution to having enough yeast to pitch either in a large quantity or high gravity is to make a small beer first. This sounds like the perfect opportunity to make a ordinary bitter of ~1.036-40. The brew Dad calculator lets you go from a stir plate 1.5 L to a non stirred 20 L for the 2nd step. Oh yea, then I drink my starter after decanting(i mean kegging). Ya gotta love the 2-4.

Yeah I could have done this but I didn't want to bring my Grainfather down to the brewery. At least to be within the law . Getting the right pure pitch from WL is gonna be a time saver .

Eventually we will probably get a yeast brink or convert a keg into one . Then we can reuse or just plan our brews to where we go cone to cone.

Yeah I could have done this but I didn't want to bring my Grainfather down to the brewery. At least to be within the law . Getting the right pure pitch from WL is gonna be a time saver .

I don't know the laws in your state, but here in PA, I've known brewers to make starters at home for use in a commercial brewery. I may have done it myself. I imagine it's probably legal-ish, because the resulting yeast is just an ingredient (similar to gathering, say, spruce tips in your back yard), i.e. it's not homebrew.

I don't know the laws in your state, but here in PA, I've known brewers to make starters at home for use in a commercial brewery. I may have done it myself. I imagine it's probably legal-ish, because the resulting yeast is just an ingredient (similar to gathering, say, spruce tips in your back yard), i.e. it's not homebrew.

Hmmm , actually this is something to definitely look into . It makes sense as it's an ingredient and not the finished product itself. Good point Vikeman.

Latest posts

Back