Why aren't you brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinakajuice

Reaction score
Okay, right now, I'm working. But the reason why I haven't been brewing much is my '69 Firebird. I'm in the middle of restoring it, just finishing up putting in a new complete trunk floor. Next on the list is replacing both sides of the floor pans in the car, quarter panels, door skins, fenders, swapping the hood, and the decklid. I just bought a 400/400 engine/trans for it that I am going to be rebuilding after I get it back on the road. Current drivetrain is 350-4bbl/350TH (Pontiac of course) What I've done already is a front disk brake conversion, all new cooling system, replaced the entire suspension, intake/carb swap, all new s/s exhaust with coated long tube headers, brake lines, rewired the entire car, and general tune up crap along the way. I have also been putting s/s bolts in it as I've gone so that I don't have to deal with rusty POS bolts in the future. I hope that I will have all the sheet metal work done and have it painted this year so I can get it back on the road. All in all, a huge time sink and money pit.

I am working on the car with my BIL, who is also the guy I brew with a lot of the times.

I didn't brew much from October-December becauseof the birth of my daughter, but I am back full-swing now.

BUT, I'm spending much less on brewing because I am throwing way too much money into my Jeep Wrangler ;) right now. Just bought tires, about to buy rims, and planning on getting some body armor and a winch next. Talk about a money pit!

Trying to figure out how to get around my a$$hole landlord neurosis... He went from being all for it (probably because I let him try some of my first two batches) to getting bad info about hops growing mold, and worrying about me tipping over one of the carboys. :rolleyes:

I shouldn't be surprised about this, since he did something very similar when I was getting into BBQ/smoking... Went from being able to do it in the side yard, to the heat from the fire box killing the grass (a few feet away) so he wanted the bbq kept on the other side of the house (PITA to get it where I can use it, when it's not raining, snowing, or the ground is wet) so it's now a rusted heap of metal. I mentioned getting a propane burner for brewing, mentioning how I'll be looking to use it on something that will block the heat, in the driveway. He said to just get some patio blocks and do it on the covered porch. Not even a week later, he has a rag across his a$$ about me doing any home brewing... "Now what'll that a$$hole think of next?"

Since I'm between jobs at the moment, I'd love to be brewing up some more. But, with yackass around, I can't... I hope to be able to brew at another home brewer's place, at least for the short term. Otherwise, I'll be checking with family to see if I can just do it up at their place, let it ferment there, bottle it there, and then bring it home. Such a PITA... All thanks to the a$$hole LL and his completely wrong information. Since I don't have a lease, I can't toss that in his face and say there's nothing in the agreement about NOT home brewing...

With the temperatures this place gets into during the warmer months, I won't be able to ferment from about June through September, maybe even October. So I'll need to do it someplace else for those months, if I was going to stay here. I hope to be able to move before June/July this year, into a place where it won't be an issue.

Not brewing? So far this year I've brewed 6 batches!

Last year I bought a house, though, so that occupied most of my time, and I cleared out my pipeline in advance of the move as well. I think I have already brewed more beer this year than I did all of last year.

Right now I'm not brewing often because its too cold to use my chiller without the hoses freezing up and that makes things a total pain in the butt. We're starting to get into temps where that won't be happening so I suspect I'll be brewing at least every other weekend - or until I no longer have fermenters or space for fermenters :)

I've also started doing some 10 gallon batches which should help keep the pipeline full, which is exciting since I've only been able to keep 3-4 of the 9 kegs I have full at any given time. I'd love to run out of kegs, and feel compelled to buy more.

I have a long list of excuses, but below are the biggest ones:

- work
- buried under 2 major house projects (1 involves taps in the house though :) )
- cold, COLD garage
- kids/swmbo

I'm dead set on doing a high gravity 5-gal and a 10-gal pale this weekend though. I'll sleep when I'm dead!

I'm doing good now, but later this spring I hope to make the switch to working on my '69 Mustang Hardtop, which has been neglected lately due to brewing. I've gotten a decent pipe going and will brew some more before welding and painting season kicks in. On the ToDO list:

Finish Drivers Floorpan
Passenger Floorplan
Finish Engine Compartment
Install Front suspension
Patch WHeelhouses
Patch Quarters
Etc...

Plus the 351W needs to be rebuilt and I haven't even looked at the 3-speed tranny that came with the car. (Which will probably not last too long...)

I brewed three batches this year already but have not brewed in sx weeks or so due to the fact that I am trying to finish my thesis so I can start working full time and make money buy a house and increase my brewery space

JEEP= JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET
I had one for a long time and dumped a lot into it over the years. Had a blast in MOAB though.

Moving... Our house is currently in "show" condition. So no brewing allowed. But I am using this time to design my RIMS system. And SWMBO is looking at houses in our new city that will allow me to have a dedicated brewery space. Which is a double win! So while I am not actively brewing I am designing for upgraded brewing! But, the weekend before we put the house up for sale I brewed my house IPA. Which I am just about to keg and carb! :)

between systems right now and too lazy once I get free time around 9pm to complete the one I'm building.

This.. I brewed on a three-tier gravity fed system using propane for almost 5 years. I decided about a year ago that I deserved better, so I started planning a new electric system. Well, then I got busy with work and other stuff and the grand ideas I had for a new system poisoned my old system (I didn't want to use that pile of junk) - so I haven't brewed for over a year.

Just finished up a huge project at work and have spent the last month putting all the pieces together. I'm shooting for completion on the new brew setup by April 1st and I think I'm on target for that.

I had one for a long time and dumped a lot into it over the years. Had a blast in MOAB though.

Yup that'll do it. I've decided I can no longer put money in to my XJ. Its a real fun hobby but not for a poor student. Most of the folks around here (northern Utah) get real into it.

My old man has a boat. I always remind him...Break Out Another Thousand

I'm not brewing because the skiing has been so good this winter. I'll say the same thing this spring and summer about the mountain biking. This is the first time since I started brewing 3 years ago that I don't have a pipeline. I only have 2 cases of homebrew left. I'm screwed!

redoing my interior on the 66 Chevelle SS
Dash
IMG_0033.jpg
[/URL]
Front seats
IMG_0012.jpg

and my brew equipment is being used to make maple syrup

IMG_0065.jpg

hmm. No money. must pay bills until some ca$h rolls in.
Hopefully March will bring good fortune... or just a part time gig so I can stop sweating the finances.

Lagering a pilsner right now. My freezer has been tied up for almost 4 weeks and I've got a month long secondary to go. I'm going to be doing 2 5 gallon batches as soon as the freezer opens up and another 5 gallon batch a week later.

I've brewed a couple batch this year so far, This thread reminds me that I have to get rolling on my Mustang. I've already removed the engine to rebuild it, once the weather breaks i'm start sanding for painting. I've also been snowboarding once a week for the past couple months.

I guess i'm brewing now becouse once spring comes i'll have no time to.

6821_146948047435_689937435_2595127_3127978_n.jpg

32272_404466197435_689937435_4268966_3585371_n.jpg

Not Brewing? What on earth is more important than having home brew on hand? All these projects certainly have breaks involved. What better time to have a home brew?

So far this year, I've managed to move into all grain brewing (and loving it) build my Keezer (first attempt will probably be revisited for aesthetic reasons) and finishing up school before moving into a new airframe. All my "extra" budgets are planned around my brewing. Gotta have beer. I've made seven batches since moving back from Japan.

springer, is that a HD I see behind that bucket seat??

yup a Springer softail I also have a Fatboy a Firebolt and 2 Yamahas, bikes are my other obsession
side.jpg

Not Brewing? What on earth is more important than having home brew on hand? All these projects certainly have breaks involved. What better time to have a home brew?

So far this year, I've managed to move into all grain brewing (and loving it) build my Keezer (first attempt will probably be revisited for aesthetic reasons) and finishing up school before moving into a new airframe. All my "extra" budgets are planned around my brewing. Gotta have beer. I've made seven batches since moving back from Japan.

who said there was no homebrew ? I have 2 kegs on tap and 5 in waiting

I've brewed a couple batch this year so far, This thread reminds me that I have to get rolling on my Mustang. I've already removed the engine to rebuild it, once the weather breaks i'm start sanding for painting. I've also been snowboarding once a week for the past couple months.

I guess i'm brewing now becouse once spring comes i'll have no time to.

my son had a 87 GT real nice car with 47k on it. He sold it about a 3 years ago wasn't a practical every day driver . He drives a jeep now but is restoring a 68 AMX that I bought in 1975.

yup a Springer softail I also have a Fatboy a Firebolt and 2 Yamahas bikes are my other obsession
side.jpg

You lucky sonofabiotch! I really want to get a Harley again someday. Just can't do it where I currently live... Hopefully, within a few years, I'll be in a house, with a garage to keep them in (and brew in) and will have at least one Harley again...

I had a 2002 Softail Standard that I modified (doesn't everyone)... Loved that thing so much. Had to give it up while unemployed in 2003/2004... Next time, I won't finance it, or I'll do a short term on the finances and pay it off FAST...

BTW, my first ride was a '93 Yamaha Virago 750... Decent starter bike, but no Harley... :D

You lucky sonofabiotch! I really want to get a Harley again someday. Just can't do it where I currently live... Hopefully, within a few years, I'll be in a house, with a garage to keep them in (and brew in) and will have at least one Harley again...

I had a 2002 Softail Standard that I modified (doesn't everyone)... Loved that thing so much. Had to give it up while unemployed in 2003/2004... Next time, I won't finance it, or I'll do a short term on the finances and pay it off FAST...

I had gone without a bike for about 9 years , kids were little and had no time for them. In 98 I bought a VStar 650 nice bike for the price. In 2002 I sold a car and said screw it I went in to order a bike from a guy I have known for about 20 years an old riding buddy and low and behold he takes me in the shop and says you can have the Springer today, seems the guy who ordered it backed out before delivery I had the bike within a hour. At that time there was at least a 6 month wait for bikes.Then I bought the 03 Fatboy I did have to wait for that one ordered in March picked up in September .

my son had a 87 GT real nice car with 47k on it. He sold it about a 3 years ago wasn't a practical every day driver . He drives a jeep now but is restoring a 68 AMX that I bought in 1975.

Sweet....I'm looking at replceing my daly driver with a Wrangler

Guess I'll put in my reason too. Been acquiring pieces to start, but still waiting to get the last and final piece. All I need now is the propane hose and regulator for my burner, and brewing will be under way.

I am, 60l of stout fermenting at this moment in time. That'll be kegged and bottled next weekend and then I'm gonna do my first proper pilsener, got weyermanns pilsener malt and budwar yeast lined up for that. I'll be starting a gallon yeast starter with two vials of the yeast tomorrow.

-Schoolwork starting to pile up (anatomy is a *****. That is all.)
-Been unemployed for almost a year; job hunt is certainly not improving, and my claim is running out reeeeally quick.
-"Friends" keep tossing out the bottles I give them (after consuming, of course), and bottles are damn expensive to buy around here.

Back