Why are most Hydrometers made out of glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schumed

Reaction score
Just broke my third one...why are these things usually made out of glass....shouldnt you be able to use any material as long as it floats? I know there are some nonglass ones out there but there are not cheap. Thoughts?

If someone made a poly-carbonate hydrometer that fits into a 3/8 suto-siphon, I'd probably pay $40+ for it.....

I have yet to break a hydrometer. I have two, thought i lost one, but I found it.

With that said, I will most certainly break one on my next brew day!

Business model...why would they want you to have one that never breaks, that makes you a one time customer

:drunk:

That's the only reason...that shouldn't even matter because your measuring sample wort.

Not always...remember that they are also used to test FG and SG's at various points... plenty of different ways to add bacteria. Also, hydrometers are used in other industries, not just beer making.

If someone made a poly-carbonate hydrometer that fits into a 3/8 suto-siphon, I'd probably pay $40+ for it.....

I've been brewing for over a decade and still have my first hydrometer. I've broken three sampling tubes, however, including two poly-carbonate ones, the first one bought thinking "This will never break".

Wrong. When they hit the tile floor in our kitchen, the poly-carbonate ones explode very nicely, they just make fewer tiny shards than the glass one. I expect that would apply to hydrometers as well...

Cheers!

Back