Why 10 gal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proofman

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to make the switch to ag and it seems most of the ag brewers on here brew in 10 gal batches. Is there any particular reason for this? Right now I do PM w/ full volume boils in my “shop”. I was going to build a brew rig this summer, with the idea of doing 10 gallons, but right now I’m happy with 5 gallons. I brew a batch about every 2 weeks and I like having the choice that 5 gal batches afford. I have 2-3 different batches/styles available to drink at any one time.

Because its twice as much beer in the same amount of time. Me personally (and some other guys here) aren't able to brew as much as we'd like to, so we brew more volume when we get the chance to brew. Brew 10 gallons once a month or 5 gallons twice a month. I have brewed many batches where I thought "man I wish I had another keg of this stuff". The 10 gallon batches fill that need...

edit - not to mention splitting the 10 gallon batch with 2 yeast strains...

+1 to above. Also, if you are brewing with a friend, you can split a 10 gal batch and have 5 gal each.

I dunno, I think it's split about evenly between 5- and 10-gallon brewers. I do 5-gallon batches, but it *would* be easy to do 10-gallon. I mean, the burner's big enough, I've got the chiller (using the CFC would make it easier), the mash tun's big enough, I've got a converted keg so the boil vessel is plenty big... I mean, my setup is pretty typical, I think, and it's condusive to either 5 or 10 gallons. So, personal choice, I'd rather do like what you're doing and brew more often (since I so rarely make the same thing over and over again).

I am brewing AG and I do 5 gal batches right now. I don't tend to drink much more than 1 a night so it would take me too long to get through 10 gal and I really enjoy the whole brewing process. I get friends over to drink sometimes but not enough that they'd down the other 5 gal if I brewed 10 at a time, I prefer to have variety.

I was told when I was first considering all grain to go ahead and start out with brewing ten gallons because eventually you will move up to that. I am glad I listened. Right now I can't afford to brew often but I have enough beer to last me until I can. The only drawback is if you end up with a beer your not really into, you have a bunch of it.

I just did my first AG batch and it was 5 gallons and when I was done I thought to myself, I really need to do 10 gallon batches if I am going to do this much work. Between the setup, the process, and the clean up it was a big chunk of time and while I am sure it will get better, I would still rather have 10 gallons than 5 if the effort is the same.

I'd say not all AG brewers do 10 gal. batches, but that most who brew 10 gals. at a time tend to brew AG. I'd love to have the gear to do 10 gal. batches, but the AG upgrade was pretty decent already (bigger pot, burner, MLT, chiller, etc.)

I know a guy who does 10 gallons every time, but splits it and uses one yeast for carboy-and another yeast for the other. This would be a great way to get some variety and train your taste to identify what's what.

As an aside-5 gallons can go very quickly. A handful of (my) friends and a good batch can be gone before you know it!

stever said:
I just did my first AG batch and it was 5 gallons and when I was done I thought to myself, I really need to do 10 gallon batches if I am going to do this much work. Between the setup, the process, and the clean up it was a big chunk of time and while I am sure it will get better, I would still rather have 10 gallons than 5 if the effort is the same.

See, once you get a system down, it's really not THAT much work (I don't think). It's less than five hours from when I start heating my strike water to when everything is cleaned and put away. Of course, it would probably only be 5 1/2 hours to do 10 gallons, but the point remains; brewing doens't have to be the ONLY thing you get done on a Saturday.

the_bird said:
See, once you get a system down, it's really not THAT much work (I don't think). It's less than five hours from when I start heating my strike water to when everything is cleaned and put away. Of course, it would probably only be 5 1/2 hours to do 10 gallons, but the point remains; brewing doens't have to be the ONLY thing you get done on a Saturday.

It took me about 6 hours and i saved some time due to my CFC and had multiple pots going with water. I agree you can do other things but I have to get the system down a bit more. I still think I would rather do 10 gallons and then 5 as long as my beer didnt suck. :) Now if this guy on CL will only answer me about that Sanke. :)

Is there any disadvantage to having a 10 gal system but doing 5 gal batches most of the time? I could see using the 10 gal setup at least for big beers, if not a 10 gal batch once in a while.

Proofman said:
Is there any disadvantage to having a 10 gal system but doing 5 gal batches most of the time? I could see using the 10 gal setup at least for big beers, if not a 10 gal batch once in a while.

Not at all. I do a lot of 5 gallon batches in my 15.5 gal keggles because I dont have the room to ferment that much wort. If I had another carboy or two I would probably do 10gal batches all the time. Insteaf, I usually have a friend over when I do 10gal batches and jst split it with them.

Proofman said:

See, to reiterate, I don't think for most people there is much of a difference between a 5- and a 10-gallon system. The latter implies a bigger brewpot and maybe a larger chiller (or a CFC or plate chiller), but the way that most people build their systems they CAN be used for 10 gallon batches.

If you want the flexibilty, just make sure your mash tun is at least 9-10 gallons, you have a Sanke or something similarly-sized to boil in, and you've got a good chiller. There's no downside to doing 5-gallon batches on this setup that I can see.

10 gallons is the perfect size for me. 5 gallons goes into a keg and 5 gallons goes into bottles. 20 gallons would be too much of the same beer and would require upgrading my equipment, but 5 gallons hardly seems worth the effort. Yup, 10 gallons is ideal.

Jumbo82 said:
10 gallons is the perfect size for me. 5 gallons goes into a keg and 5 gallons goes into bottles.

+1 I do the same thing.

I really like having beer in bottles after the keg has been kicked. 10 gallons for me!

Proofman said:

The only disadvantage is that when your (converted cooler) MLT is less full you lose more heat during the mash. I have lost as much as 7° in 1hr doing a 5g batch in my 52qt MLT. When it's full (doing a 10g batch or just a big beer) I lose very little heat.

The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

I like doing mostly 5gallon batches, but I also like doing large batches and splitting with 2 or more yeasts, or the occasional big beer will require 10g space in the MLT.

maltMonkey said:
The only disadvantage is that when your (converted cooler) MLT is less full you lose more heat during the mash. I have lost as much as 7° in 1hr doing a 5g batch in my 52qt MLT. When it's full (doing a 10g batch or just a big beer) I lose very little heat.

That depends in part on the cooler, whether you pre-heat it or not, and the thickness of the mash. If this is a big issue, you could always run with a somewhat thinner mash (accounting for that when estimating how fermentable a wort you'll produce).

The only reason I still do all 5 gallon batches is because of the size of my brewpot. When I get my keggle, though, I will do 10 gallons of my "house" favorites and 5 gallons of some others. When I brew indoors, though, I'll still be stuck with 5 gallon batches.

maltMonkey said:

The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

I like doing mostly 5gallon batches, but I also like doing large batches and splitting with 2 or more yeasts, or the occasional big beer will require 10g space in the MLT.

Do you preheat your MLT? I lost only 1° over 60 minutes with my 5 gallon batch that used about 12lbs of grain in a 12 gallon cooler.

I used to always brew 10 gallon batches. Lately though, I've been doing more 5 gallon batches.

One, I am trying to brew styles and recipes I haven't brewed before and don't want 10 gallons of something I'm not sure of.

Two, I have 5 taps on my fridge and am not running through the beer quite as fast. If you only have one or two taps, you can empty the kegs pretty quickly. With 5, somethings will stay online for quite a while.

I'll still do the occasional 10 gallon batch of a staple brew to keep around, but not as often as I used to.

The next step is to do more partigyle brews. One mash, two beers....

Yeah, one day I will try me a parti-gyle, but for now, I just need to BREW! I have WAY too many empties looking at me....

the_bird said:
That depends in part on the cooler, whether you pre-heat it or not, and the thickness of the mash. If this is a big issue, you could always run with a somewhat thinner mash (accounting for that when estimating how fermentable a wort you'll produce).

stever said:
Do you preheat your MLT? I lost only 1° over 60 minutes with my 5 gallon batch that used about 12lbs of grain in a 12 gallon cooler.

I think I'm in the minority here with respect to the amount of heat I lose over a mash. I always preheat for 15 minutes. I run my thickness at 1.25 qts/lb. I do brew outside in the garage and I haven't had a brew day over 65° yet....

I actually recently upgraded to a HERMS system to try to keep a more consistent temp going.....so far it's creating as many problems as it's solving but you know how that is :mug:

Y'all answered my questions! I think it will be worth it to have the capacity if for when I want/need it.

I brew 12 to 14 gallons every time and if I could I would brew 24. This way I am never without as long as I have the capacity to keep it cooled during fermentation. I can also let it age properly without drinking it.

Not that I have the brewpot for it, but if I did, and there was a beer I've brewed before and know I enjoy, I would probably go ahead and make it a 10 gal batch. For new brews it's 5 G's for me.

I do 5 gallon batches but I just started the AG process. Ive done 3 batches and can get a 5 gallon batch done in around 5 hours from start to finish. I like a variety of different beers so the only time I would go to a 10 gal batch is either brewing for a party or something or if it was a beer I really liked.

I just started AG, and my first one was 5 gal, but halfway through, I was already wishing I did 10g. So I went and got a Sanke, and doing my first 10 gal AG this weekend. My thought was for the time and effort, that I'm putting in, I almost look at it as the extra 5 gal is kind of free! :rockin:

Because no beer will taste as good as that second keg that aged for the 2-3 extra weeks it took you to kick the first keg.

Plus you have two batches to dick around with:
Wheat beer: One with, one without raspberry
IPA: One with, one without oak chips
APA: One dry hopped with Cascade, one with Summit
Porter: One with, one without cocoa.
Bud Clone: One light, one regular....oh wait...nevermind...

BierMuncher said:
Plus you have two batches to dick around with:
Wheat beer: One with, one without raspberry
IPA: One with, one without oak chips
APA: One dry hopped with Cascade, one with Summit
Porter: One with, one without cocoa.
Not that I've gone AG yet but I have the burners and keggles (need chiller and kegs first) but these are my thoughts exactly.

Bud Clone: One light, one regular....oh wait...nevermind...
Bwaaahhh!

TexLaw said:
I still brew five gallon batches, myself. I like the variety.

Same here--I also haven't made anything yet that I would want 10 gallons of.....the day I nail a recipe you can bet I'll be doing 10-12 gallons of it at a time.

I would love to do 10 gallons. The side by side comparisons that could be made are nearly impossible to replicate. Different yeast, dry hops etc.

Some day.

I do both. 5 gallons for first batch beers, 10 gallons for refined, kick a$$ recipes where a second keg comes in very handy!

TexLaw said:
I still brew five gallon batches, myself. I like the variety. TL
Same here. There are a couple recipes where I'd like to be able to do double sized batches (for me that would be 50L) but logistics is my major problem right now.

Proofman said:
I’m getting ready to make the switch to ag and it seems most of the ag brewers on here brew in 10 gal batches. Is there any particular reason for this? Right now I do PM w/ full volume boils in my “shop”. I was going to build a brew rig this summer, with the idea of doing 10 gallons, but right now I’m happy with 5 gallons. I brew a batch about every 2 weeks and I like having the choice that 5 gal batches afford. I have 2-3 different batches/styles available to drink at any one time.
I brew both 5 and 10 gallon batches. I brew mostly 5 gal because I like a lot of variety. I save the 10 gallon for my favorite types which I have the recipe dialed in on. My next brew is going to be 10 gal of Cr Ale. After that a 5 gal Thomas Hardy's style barleywine. Now that'll be 5 gal, imagine the mash tun load for a 10 gal 1.125 gravity barleywine!

I am gearing up for 10 gal AG batches - my reasoning is that, on a recipe that is good, maybe not perfect, but good - I can do 10 gal batches while still having the ability to work out new recipes or finish tweaking one down with 5 gal. I can attempt two different yeast strains or dry-hopping with two different hops. It allows me a volume and flexibility to brew as much as I need without brewing all the time, and with two kids it is sometimes hard to find the time.

And with all the extra beer on hand, I won't drink my last from a batch and realize that it had just come into it's prime.

Purely choice. My system is sized for 10 gallons, but that was when Guzzleboy was still alive. Drinking solo means consuming the beer in a timely manner is a problem, so I stick with 5 gallons.

Did my first 25 gallon brew yesterday. Basically it was an all grain 5 gallon until the boil. A single infusion mash with a batch sparge. Used 12# 6 row pale malt. a total of 10 gallons of water used in the mash and sparge. Added 6 more gallons to the 40 gallon boil pot. Then 33# of light malt extract. 2 1/2 of centennial @ 45minutes and !/2 oz at flame out. Chilled it down to 80 degrees. Pumped into A 30 gal U S Plastics full drain conical. Added 55 degree water to the 26 gal level. Wort was @ 70 degrees. Pitched the yeast and sealed it up. Starting gravity= 1.050. Bubbling away as we speak. I brewed my weight in beer in just one day!

Back