Whut is your favorite pepper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hot or sweet or for stuffing. Whut is your favorite pepper?

I like Tabasco, cayenne, and pequin for hot. Jalapenos count separately because they're not always hot, just kind of spicy, and sometimes mild. Pequin is my favorite hot. It's got a good amount of heat and flavor. The plants are often cold hardy here and weather our summers well.

Poblano and Anaheim for stuffing. Anaheim the most. Crisp. Nice sharp flavor. Lots of room to stuff.

I've not found a particularly sweet pepper.

I grow Carolina Reapers and Bhut Jolokia in my box garden every year, but I give almost the entire crop to a local brewery. They use them in some of their pepper beers. Scary hot, but a small one dropped into a big pot of chili (and carefully removed so nobody bites into it) adds a nice, smoky hotness.

Habaneros, love the fruitiness.

Beer wise, love Left Hand Fade to Black. Yum.
Habaneros are as hot as a pepper needs to be. People say fruity. I don't get it. Probably because it's at the end of whut I feel is enjoyable heat wise.

I've had some habanero home brew, and made my own. @WildGingerBrewing makes a good one. Lots of flavor. Lots of heat. I made mine noticeably milder.

I make stuffed peppers all the time with poblanos, and also love cutting them in half and grilling them to top a burger.

Everything this guy said

We buy 2 poblanos a week and use them in place of bell peppers for everything (salads, fajitas, burgers, Philly cheese steak topping)

The best ones are the surprise spicy ones!

I'm a pepper-whore, I love any of them for the right price. (Usually a burning @ss)

Thai, cayenne, cascobel, serrano, aneheim/hatch, poblano, habanero/reaper/bonnet/jolokia... they all are yummy depending on what its with.

Just to eat, sometimes a mild fruity bell or a spicy habanero. Depends on my mood.

Habaneros are as hot as a pepper needs to be. People say fruity. I don't get it. Probably because it's at the end of whut I feel is enjoyable heat wise.

I've had some habanero home brew, and made my own. @WildGingerBrewing makes a good one. Lots of flavor. Lots of heat. I made mine noticeably milder.

Habs are the most citrusy. They are like an orange. An orange on fire. But for sure, they are citrusy. I grow them - maybe mine are different than store.

I grow a lot of hot peppers, habanero, ghost, reaper, scorpion....but I can't eat them whole so I either make a hot sauce that I can add drops to tacos or dry them to flakes to add to pizza now and then. Problem is I have too much to use, well the flakes anyway, the sauces get used up. I make gallons of hot sauce for wings, probably have like 15-20 gallons in mason jars.

I really like Chocolate Habaneros though, they have a great flavor and not too hot but again sauce and flakes.

I grow Trinidad perfume and Habanana (sp?) which taste like habaneros but little or no heat, wife puts them on salad just about every day in summer/fall. Cutting back on what I will grow this year, taking a break from sauce making, I have enough to last years.

I love the gamut, but as I have aged, I prefer taste over heat. I also prefer mixing peppers.
Usually I purchase what smells the best that day.
Poblanos win the smell test most often.
We occasionally go to Buford's Farmers Market, and we regularly buy a large bag of their discount (about to go bad) peppers (usually mixed varieties). That night we oven roast them, then put them into snack sized zip bags, and toss in the freezer. We probably finish them off before the next Buford trip.
My concession to heat is that I never scrape off the seeds.
When is comes to just seeds, I like Hatch.

Thanks, Z. The goal of the last one I made was to see if I could make it too hot to drink. Just an experiment. I was able too. Ended up dumping about half a keg. ha

I bit into what the Bahamians called a Scotch Bonnet. I don't know if it was just a Habanero or a variety, or just where they were grown. But, I never tasted anything so hot. The juices went on my lips, gums and tongue. I was in serious pain for 15-20 minutes and the burning didn't go away for hours. They were either neon orange or neon lime green. Both were the same. Just different ripeness?

I am now growing Jalapenos, Habaneros, Tequila Sunrise, and 2 varieties of bell peppers. Gotta go looking for more.....

Cayenne and red habanero are my recent faves but jalapeno is a very good all around choice. This year I have some hybrid varieties called Karma and Cabellero.

I am germinating some Carolina Reapers and pulled them from two dried pods. No gloves... Yeah. Not good! Lol

Latest posts

Back