Whrilpool Hop Ramifactions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickbrew

Reaction score
I do a whirlpool with a spoon and then chill with CF chiller. I have not noticed any problems with hotside aeration. My preboil volume is usually around 21 gallons in a 26 gallon BK. Lid is always on during spin down. I use to use an immersion chiller but it took too long with this volume and negatively affected the whirlpool process. I use mostly hop pellets and the whirlpool does a phenomenal job of compacting the trub and hops.

Question:
Since it takes about 20 minutes for the whirlpool process and the wort is still hot, should I be adjusting my late hop schedule, effectively subtracting 20 minutes from the late hop schedule which usually starts with 20 minutes remaining in the boil? Granted the wort is not boiling, but the hops particles are in motion and the temp is essentially at boiling. One approach would be to just add all the late hops at flame out and then whirlpool (whirlpool hops).

There's a paper on it that I can't find right now, but your alpha isomerization rate more or less halves for every 10ºC drop in temperature.

I too am trying to find the IBU correction for whirlpool. Right now I'm calculating my flameout/whirlpool hops as a 10 minute boil addition. I'm thinking it is close. I too use CFC chilling and do anywhere from 12 to 25 gallon batches. I recirc through the CFC and whirlpool to drop the temp. Then it settles as I change hoses and then go straight into the fermenter.

Back