Who's the Greatest Band EVER!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldnt imagine naming just one! Tool, led zeppelin, nirvana, weezer, the beetles, rush...and f*ck it , i love blues, progressive jazz and progressive rock. Dream theater for the insane drum and guitar parts and jazz mandolin project for the same thing. There are too many dimentions to music to just pick one band or even just one genre.

totally agree its like saying whats the greatest beer. I could never name just one. not to mention the best style.

The only way you can be the 'Greatest Band Ever' is if you've written the greatest song in the world...

Tenacious D

chumpsteak said:
Maynard is in at least 3 bands and arguably puts out more cutting edge sh*t than anyone else.

I kinda think comparing Rod Stewart to Tool is a bit of a joke...I hope.

I also think Nine Inch Nails could be the best band of all time, but Trent Reznor is probably irrelevant too.

Nope not a joke at all. Rod Stewart has been in great bands and great in his own right, but not current. I dig A Perfect Circle, meh Puscifier is ok (read I like that dont shoot the messenger song, I think that's the band that sings it); but that's not Tool. Tool isn't relevant or current.

Lady Gaga.

:D

I need to check Tool out. I hated them in high school (hated rock then in general), but over the last 10-15 years I have grown to really love rock.

I love TOOL seen em live twice... But there's something to be said about homebrews and the blues... SRV baby. I gotta support my Texas legend

I couldnt imagine naming just one! Tool, led zeppelin, nirvana, weezer, the beetles, rush...and f*ck it , i love blues, progressive jazz and progressive rock. Dream theater for the insane drum and guitar parts and jazz mandolin project for the same thing. There are too many dimentions to music to just pick one band or even just one genre.

Yep, and you will find as years go on your perspectives change, your tastes change. I decided long ago I am never committing to such a statement....again.

I just listened to about 5 TOOL songs on you tube. I find the videos much more interesting than the music.

Anyone else ever hear of a band called the Beatles? They had some modest success back in the 60s.

bottlebomber said:

I have to agree with the original post. Tool does suck. You can say whatever you want about me for thinking that, but it is what it is. They have this cult following that makes them seem more liked than they should be. I respect the talent, but it just doesn't do it for me.

While I think some of the bands listed in this thread are good (except Tool), lets not go with who is your current favorite. We are talking about the "greatest band of ALL time". We have to look at who influenced a generation the most and who made the biggest impact. I think Iron Maiden(like them or not) probably influenced the new generation of rock the most with the melody. They bridged the 70's to the 80's, totaly different sound of rock. The Beatles certainly should have been listed, somewhere. Sabbath was just too dark and gloomy for the masses.

I still vote for Skynyrd though.

I know they are too obvious, so I'll just come out and say it:

Van Halen

The new album should be coming out soon, so yes, they are still "current".

This:
Frank Zappa: guitar, vocals
Ike Willis: guitar, vocals
Mike Keneally: guitar, keyboards, vocals
Ed Mann: percussion
Robert Martin: keyboards, vocals
Scott Thunes: bass
Chad Wackerman: drums
Bruce Fowler: trombone
Walt Fowler: trumpet
Albert Wing: tenor saxophone
Paul Carman: alto saxophone
Kurt McGettrick: baritone saxophone

hwcopela said:
I have to agree with the original post. Tool does suck. You can say whatever you want about me for thinking that, but it is what it is. They have this cult following that makes them seem more liked than they should be. I respect the talent, but it just doesn't do it for me.
Right but the name of the thread isn't "troll the guys who like bands you don't". Lots of people named that band, so it was obviously a d!ck move especially considering how personal many people consider their choice of music. Tool isn't for everybody, but for those who like a poetic element to their metal, and have the patience for a song to unfold, it doesn't get much better.
GatorBrew1 said:
While I think some of the bands listed in this thread are good (except Tool), lets not go with who is your current favorite. We are talking about the "greatest band of ALL time".
I would have to say Metallica by a mile actually..

Wasn't meaning to be that guy, I was more just giving those who think that Tool is the best band ever a hard time. Obviously you're free to like anything you want, I just prefer other stuff.

I have to agree with Metallica, they've sure stood the test of time.

Right but the name of the thread isn't "troll the guys who like bands you don't". Lots of people named that band, so it was obviously a d!ck move especially considering how personal many people consider their choice of music. Tool isn't for everybody, but for those who like a poetic element to their metal, and have the patience for a song to unfold, it doesn't get much better.

I would have to say Metallica by a mile actually..

I like Metalica too, but Lars is a tool.

To be honest, I have never listened to Tool, but I never thought I would like Korn either. Their version of Another Brick in the Wall kicks azz. :rockin:

I was just trying to have alittle fun with Tool, no disrespect intended.

GatorBrew1 said:
I like Metalica too, but Lars is a tool.

To be honest, I have never listened to Tool, but I never thought I would like Korn either. Their version of Another Brick in the Wall kicks azz. :rockin:

Yep he's definitely a real d!ckknuckle but you can't deny the success of the band. I think they probably have most other bands outnumbered 2-1 on ripping guitar solos.

I've never listened to Korn because the guys who listened to them also like Insane clown posse which I think is the worst "band" to ever make an album, so I kind of wrote them off, but I might have to give em a try. Any album recommendations?

Yep he's definitely a real d!ckknuckle but you can't deny the success of the band. I think they probably have most other bands outnumbered 2-1 on ripping guitar solos.

I've never listened to Korn because the guys who listened to them also like Insane clown posse which I think is the worst "band" to ever make an album, so I kind of wrote them off, but I might have to give em a try. Any album recommendations?

I agree on the Metalica solos and power riffs. "Enter Sandman" is a classic riff. Want to hear some great solo's? Listen to some of Molly Hatchet's stuff. Doesn't get any better than "Dreams I'll never see", "Gatorcountry" and their version of "FreeBird" to name a few. The early stuff with Dave Hlubek, Duane Roland (RIP) and Steve Holland is hard to beat. Plus, Bobby Ingram is a friend of mine.

I don't actually own any of Korn albums, I buy singles from Itunes. Here is a sample. Be sure to turn the volume all the way up first. haha

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Ki2DJfhns]korn-another brick in the wall - YouTube[/ame]

Mastodon or Animals as Leaders. Bunch of f-ing talent up in there. I'm tired of the old fogie rock.

I'm going with Bob Marly. He is the only musician that changed a style and could have changed the world if he lived longer.

Back