Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good piano man.
Throwing some salmon on once the kids are down for a hot smoke @180.

Then rub Sunday's pork butt with the usual sugar and salt for about 24 hrs before I throw on some commercial seasoning and let it go overnight.

Having the other coaches with their spouses/kids over to celebrate the kindergarten girls soccer season. After hearing cats like we did, we are going to share some beer, some 'q, and see each others faces for the first time. Lol!
Love 2020, been spending 3-4 hours a week with these folks and never saw them w/o a mask.

Looks good piano man.
Throwing some salmon on once the kids are down for a hot smoke @180.

Then rub Sunday's pork butt with the usual sugar and salt for about 24 hrs before I throw on some commercial seasoning and let it go overnight.

Having the other coaches with their spouses/kids over to celebrate the kindergarten girls soccer season. After hearing cats like we did, we are going to share some beer, some 'q, and see each others faces for the first time. Lol!
Love 2020, been spending 3-4 hours a week with these folks and never saw them w/o a mask.

Did a salmon once with a mango style glaze. Best I've ever had. Perfect with the smoke. Hope it comes out perfect. Enjoy! 🍻

Fixed Korean cut beef ribs this afternoon using this recipe:
https://howtobbqright.com/2019/09/19/brown-sugar-chipotle-flanken-short-ribs/print/8875/About 10-12 minutes per side. First time I ever tried them, quite pleased with results. Used 50/50 Cherry and pecan. Forgot to get after pic☹

5BC89635-967F-4537-A496-D03C1FF52C6D.jpeg

Last edited:
I smoked a pork shoulder today. put it on at 9:30 in the morning, and we ate it around 5:00 p.m.
Had a really nice smoke ring.
I had brined it overnight, and then made up a rub this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20201110_174148.jpg
    IMG_20201110_174148.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201110_172607.jpg
    IMG_20201110_172607.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20201110_173638.jpg
    IMG_20201110_173638.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
I just can’t get enough of spitchcock chicken in the wood grill with “speedy” marinate. I literally have made one a week for about 2 months lol

I hear that man we do half chickens every week in the kamado with 50/50 apple and cherry wood and I do an injection with 50/50 apple juice and ginger ale add a little of my rub to it and use Oakridge BBQ Game Bird and Chicken Rub to finish it off I swear it's impossible not to love it

I haven't done a spatchcock chicken yet, but I've done beer can a couple of times and pretty much feel the same way. Why would I even bother cooking chicken any other way..pointless.

Is anybody smoking whatever they're eating for Thanksgiving?

I split custody of my kids with my ex, and my wife and I have set up the tradition that when we don't have them for the actual day of Thanksgiving, we do "Fake Thanksgiving" beforehand and do the traditional menu.

Since we won't have them Thursday, and my wife's dad and stepmom will be coming over, we didn't want to do turkey again.

So yeah, I'm smoking something for Thanksgiving... A 3-4 bone rack of beef short ribs.

I will be doing a smoked/roasted turkey (1 hour of apple wood smoke into the roaster after that), pecan smoked prime rib (prime) and a cherry wood/ apple wood smoked duck a l'orange should be some good eating

Thanksgiving will be easy this year. Prepackaged turkey and fixins.
But last weekend I smoked a bacon wrapped meatloaf! Turned out fantastic! Bacon was home cured and smoked too!!!
Every one have a great Thanksgiving!!

Attachments

• 9BF4A8F5-D5FC-42E9-AEBD-689FB3C24C58.jpeg
    9BF4A8F5-D5FC-42E9-AEBD-689FB3C24C58.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • DBDF6331-0AB0-46BF-8CAF-BE423233065C.jpeg
    DBDF6331-0AB0-46BF-8CAF-BE423233065C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
Just set Traeger to the lowest Super Smoke temp and decided to toss the Brussels sprouts in for an hour or so before I roast them off

Got a rack of ribs on. sucks smoking in the rin, but I have a pop-up-tent over it to help.
Going to the sister-in-laws. They're doing a "small" turkey, I think, with sides. I've got the ribs, some bread going in the oven in a little while, and some booze.

I’m smoking some pie pumpkins this year to see if smoked pumpkin pie will become a new tradition
So smoked pumpkin pie is awesome. Unfortunately everyone dug in before a picture could be taken but it was a huge hit. First year trying it and used Competition Blend. For Christmas I want to use pecan pellets

Cured, smoked an 11 lb Costco pork belly. Today was slicing, packaging day.

Attachments

• 896A9D56-8719-4D1F-968A-FF4C74DFB7EC.jpeg
    896A9D56-8719-4D1F-968A-FF4C74DFB7EC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • E287A299-DF18-4F27-84AB-C6AE8E74433D.jpeg
    E287A299-DF18-4F27-84AB-C6AE8E74433D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 22615AE0-AB4B-451B-BA4C-718495E1D4E2.jpeg
    22615AE0-AB4B-451B-BA4C-718495E1D4E2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
So at 10 pm Saturday I went to throw a pork butt on my masterbuilt cabinet smoker on to find out its stone dead so ok that sucks lets fire up the pellet grill well I'll be damned the week of rain ruined the pellets and clogged my auger so thats a hell of a surprise my 2 electric smokers have failed at 10pm so I was left with a choice set up my weber kettle with a snake ring (at 10 pm screw that) or do we give the Kamado Joe it's fist long overnight smoke .... so I rolled the dice and went with the Kamado Joe and it worked out fine however this will be the first and last time I do a no wrap pork butt

1607353689114.png

So at 10 pm Saturday I went to throw a pork butt on my masterbuilt cabinet smoker on to find out its stone dead so ok that sucks lets fire up the pellet grill well I'll be damned the week of rain ruined the pellets and clogged my auger so thats a hell of a surprise my 2 electric smokers have failed at 10pm so I was left with a choice set up my weber kettle with a snake ring (at 10 pm screw that) or do we give the Kamado Joe it's fist long overnight smoke .... so I rolled the dice and went with the Kamado Joe and it worked out fine however this will be the first and last time I do a no wrap pork butt

What was the problem with a no-wrap butt? Just the mess of all the drippings, or something else?

In general, what did you think of the Kamado Joe relative to the electric or pellet?

I recently inherited a Traeger to go along with my Joe, and for certain smokes, I actually prefer it to the Joe. When I did the beef short ribs above, those were on the Traeger. If I had a bigger Traeger, I'd probably do normal ribs, but it's got some hot spots that charred the bottom of my ribs last time I tried, so I do those on the Big Joe. If I had something either larger or more even heating I'd probably prefer smoking on the pellet grills though, as it's just so freakin' easy. No fiddling with vents, watching the temps all day to make sure they're not creeping, etc.

BTW I typically do turbo butts now though. And those go on the Big Joe because I usually buy about 35# of pork shoulder and do them all together, vacuum sealing and freezing what I'm not eating that day (most of it, obv). But I like running pork butt in the ~350-375 degree range, which means I can start them in the morning rather than running overnight, and pork butt is so forgiving that I really don't detect any real change to the quality, with the exception of a SLIGHT difference in the consistency of the bark.

What was the problem with a no-wrap butt? Just the mess of all the drippings, or something else?

In general, what did you think of the Kamado Joe relative to the electric or pellet?

I recently inherited a Traeger to go along with my Joe, and for certain smokes, I actually prefer it to the Joe. When I did the beef short ribs above, those were on the Traeger. If I had a bigger Traeger, I'd probably do normal ribs, but it's got some hot spots that charred the bottom of my ribs last time I tried, so I do those on the Big Joe. If I had something either larger or more even heating I'd probably prefer smoking on the pellet grills though, as it's just so freakin' easy. No fiddling with vents, watching the temps all day to make sure they're not creeping, etc.

BTW I typically do turbo butts now though. And those go on the Big Joe because I usually buy about 35# of pork shoulder and do them all together, vacuum sealing and freezing what I'm not eating that day (most of it, obv). But I like running pork butt in the ~350-375 degree range, which means I can start them in the morning rather than running overnight, and pork butt is so forgiving that I really don't detect any real change to the quality, with the exception of a SLIGHT difference in the consistency of the bark.

The no wrap is just not as juicy however the bark was better no question about it, I know a lot of people like the bark but I prefer the moister meat I get with the wrap but I would not say there was anything wrong with this butt just different.

I was super impressed with the Kamado considering I did this on a whim and I usually like to let her run for an hour or two to dial in the temp first and get some heat in the dome, I cleaned out my old weak coals filled her up with a fresh load and she went the whole 19 hours without issue. I was really nervous just torching some lump and setting my vents and just walking away to go to bed, I had my inkbird set up so I could monitor temps from my bed all night when I woke up but still not checking temps for hours at a time had me uneasy but she did her job and stayed 212-231 which just blows my mind how it controls the temps so well when the coals are so random. Oh I almost forgot she was dealing with temps in the low 30's overnight and it did not effect a thing super impressed.

I concur the pellet grills are just so easy it's like cheating however my pit boss also has hot spots but can still easily do a full 14lb packer brisket avoiding them. I love using the pellet grill when I have other things to do or I am just exhausted from work it makes my life so much easier since I cook on the grill 5-7 days a week.

I will have to try a hot and fast pork butt like you said they are really forgiving and not to mention dirt cheap so if you ruin one well it's not a Snake River Farms gold brisket.

I would do another butt in the Joe without hesitation now and next time I will just wrap it like I normally do.

So I did pork butt yesterday on my KJ...and it didn't finish until 10 pm and was thinking the next time I'd give it a whirl overnight. Now that you've posted your experience tho...now I'm just thinking I need to get the damn meat on the grill before 0900.....

I had already started shredding it before I realized that I hadn't taken a pic yet. Since it finished so late tho...it will get eaten tonight w/some smoked Mac & Cheese that I did at the same time.

E4137516-EDC7-49A6-A461-740A5EB865CE.jpeg

Tonight’s our 4 year anniversary, Smoked bone in ribeye, reverse seared in the cast iron skillet with a Shallot, Mushroom, and Gorgonzola crema.. other sides are self explanatory.
2246E851-6FA4-47F9-9136-D63C505B101E.jpeg

Back