Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sooooo. Friday set up involved an 18’ trailer and moving my 800# offset bbq pit on there. 4 pop up tents. 8 of the biggest coolers full of donated beer sponsored beer, and a case of ‘real good’ vodka. It was all good, going smoothly..set up food prep...drinking. Then the storms hit. We’re talking sideways rain. Lightning so close you could smell the sulphur. Anyway that lasted from 10 till 2 am. The pop ups leaked a bit and the fields and parking lots were turned in to whitewater rapids and bogs but the pit held a constant 250ish.

Saturday was perfect weather for turn in and the food trailer from the copper top tavern, who I was cooking for, was 20 deep for hours till we sold out of non contest food. In case you were wondering that was 8 butts and 4 briskets....and 4 1# beef ribs @ 20$ a rib. That was my idea the tavern ow er didn’t think they would sell at that price point. 5 min later they were gone and customers were asking for more.

So how did team Copper Top do?

Out of 43 teams.......

3rd place dessert (amazeballs banana pudding)
5th place chefs choice ( shrimp brochettes)
10th place pinto beans
5th place pork spareribs

No final table or place in chicken or brisket ;(

Our sponsors were happy with the results and will more than likely up their end of the game if that is possible. This year we had 5 cases from Austin Beer Works, and another mixed 5 cases from brown beer distribution. As well as a 1/6 barrel keg of 512 ipa and a case of ‘real good’ vodka.

I’m spent....pix coming I promise :)
Sounds like a helluva good time. Looking forward to the pictures!

Brined trout ready to go on smoker for Maple Glazed Trout
8D682E97-C1FF-4816-AD57-5B8479250CD4.jpeg

Coming off the smoker to cool prior to eating or packaging
A213CFCB-39F0-412E-9DCE-B4A4AE2163A9.jpeg

Brined trout ready to go on smoker for Maple Glazed Trout
View attachment 625516

Coming off the smoker to cool prior to eating or packaging
View attachment 625517
That looks awesome! I haven't had smoked fish in a long time! I was wondering. Do you have a problem with fish flavor transferring to meat the next time you smoke? I know some people say they have a dedicated smoker because of this. Makes me nervous.

Pix as promised.....

The setup

47759065912_4b96747e70_c.jpg
[/url]

46894805845_d74374780c_c.jpg
[/url]

47759068242_19c65d4296_c.jpg

The line to eat my Q. It was like this for at least 4 hrs!

46894807095_2e0e11e5d0_c.jpg

The food...most of it anyway. Didn’t get any pix of the spare ribs or beans.

47759066552_9285ea00e0_c.jpg

46894807515_e47a76c4be_c.jpg

47759069402_d341e972b4_c.jpg

40844767133_d55370616b_z.jpg

The payoff! The first of 4 callups to the stage in front of the crowd and 3osomething competitors to claim awards.

46894808515_a64c89c42a_c.jpg

That looks awesome! I haven't had smoked fish in a long time! I was wondering. Do you have a problem with fish flavor transferring to meat the next time you smoke? I know some people say they have a dedicated smoker because of this. Makes me nervous.

I had same concern after first round of smoking fish in my smoker. I have found that I notice the fish scent next time I open the smoker. However by the time I brush the grates, scrape deflector stone, load with charcoal, fire it up and let it come to temp for next cook, I no longer notice fish scent when I lift lid and have never had trace of fish taste or scent in non fish cook.

I had same concern after first round of smoking fish in my smoker. I have found that I notice the fish scent next time I open the smoker. However by the time I brush the grates, scrape deflector stone, load with charcoal, fire it up and let it come to temp for next cook, I no longer notice fish scent when I lift lid and have never had trace of fish taste or scent in non fish cook.
Awesome! I'll have to give it a go. Thanks!

Finally getting to the inaugural Corned Beef smoke on this work freebee. Seasoned this morning while working on the brewpub.

Edit:
Meant to say in this Electric Smoker. About 5hrs of smoke with hickory/cherry chips soaked in water. Very little used as the electric smoker keeps the heat up. Not as smoky but still came out nice.
20190517_125047.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting ready for the kiddo's birthday next weekend. Beer has been brewed and kegged a few weeks ago. (he's the only soon to be 4-year-old who's had a beer brewed for his birthday every year.) Yesterday I made a batch of BBQ sauce, got mustard on, and a batch of pickled onions.
Wednesday or Thursday I'll get a big pork shoulder or 2 and get it (them) in to brine.
Saturday I'll get those on the smoker, get as much time as I can that day. Sunday (day of party) I'll either put them in the oven at 225 or so to finish up, or since I'll be doing chicken thighs as well, if those are going in the smoker too, I'll put the shoulders back on. That'll be a game-time decision, though I'm leaning towards just grilling the chicken; there is such thing as too much smoke.

Did 6 Gordon Food Service bone in Pork Butts at about 10 lbs ea for a friend’s grandson’s graduation party. 2 done last Tues/Weds on PitBoss smoker with FireBoard temp controller, 2 done on Akorn CharGriller with PitMaster IQ 120 temp controller. Did the final 2 Weds /Thurs on the Akorn. Each cook took 14-16 hrs. Used mixture of Cowboy Lump and Kamado Joe Big Block charcoal. 50/50 oak hickory smoke chunks. Used Kitchen Aid mixer with dough hook to shred.
Received lotsa compliments.

Prior to Rub

782546E5-6F6D-44A6-A872-A0F3AADBE655.jpeg

After Rub and on the grill
1D04CD9D-EC96-4F7D-8BAB-15AB345E2FB4.jpeg
D01198CB-0278-4B13-A600-A778552411A7.jpeg

The smokers

A51DE38A-6D6F-4011-A408-E4B7164F8C35.jpeg
74FEC75B-618A-41D2-A030-10591B8111CF.jpeg

Ready to come off grill
3D8A6FC7-990A-4FF1-8E92-B2C1293D5FA6.jpeg

Just started a rack of beef ribs rubbed with Webers chile lime rub. Also threw in a couple of pork sausages for a snack and will add turkey and beef burgers later in the smoke. Using pecan for this one.

how was the pecan smoke on a pork chop?
Super nice, I have fallen in love with it. Not better than hickory and cherry, just different. Have you ever used it? I suspect pork is one of it's best uses. Pecan and cherry seems a worthy mix. Since pecan is in the hickory family iirc. That said I have read that pecan doesn't mix well, tasting it, not sure it would. Oak or hickory seem like the would do well with pecan. I was thinking about mixing a little mesquite with the pecan which I suspect might be nice, but really wanted to experience the pecan. At 275 I think the chops were done in well under 2 hours so pecan seemed a good choice for a "quick" smoke and I think it was. As quick as these smoked could probably get away with 100 percent mesquite to.

Last edited:
Apologies in advance for being OT, but what is the purpose of scoring the fat? To allow heat to penetrate that layer better or to allow the fat to baste that side better?

Btw, those pork butts look fantastic @Buck*49

I found it interesting as well. I trim most the fat off mine leave about 1/8 around. Anyone else do that? I agree looks like good temp control.

I found it interesting as well. I trim most the fat off mine leave about 1/8 around. Anyone else do that? I agree looks like good temp control.
I prefer to score the fat as I feel it allows the rub and smoke to penetrate deeper. Rather than trimming it off, feel that it helps keep the meat moist. May all be in my head, but that is my reasoning
Also injected these with apple juice and rub mix, water pan beneath grate with apple juice in it.

I prefer to score the fat as I feel it allows the rub and smoke to penetrate deeper. Rather than trimming it off, feel that it helps keep the meat moist. May all be in my head, but that is my reasoning
Also injected these with apple juice and rub mix, water pan beneath grate with apple juice in it.
That makes perfect sense. I agree, the more fat the more moist it seems. Never tried injecting or tray water flavor. Any tips on either appreciated.

That makes perfect sense. I agree, the more fat the more moist it seems. Never tried injecting or tray water flavor. Any tips on either appreciated.
For injection I generally mix a tablespoon or so of rub to 4 oz of apple juice, inject 2-4 oz per butt.
For a pan I use a bread pan or round cake pan (whatever will fit on your grate and between grate and diffuser plate)filled 2/3 - 3/4 full with apple juice. The juice evaporates and also provides a catch pan for some of the grease, reducing amount of grease running across diffuser plate and into fire.
FWIW I score a brisket the same way.

Last edited:
Super nice, I have fallen in love with it. Not better than hickory and cherry, just different. Have you ever used it? I suspect pork is one of it's best uses. Pecan and cherry seems a worthy mix. Since pecan is in the hickory family iirc. That said I have read that pecan doesn't mix well, tasting it, not sure it would. Oak or hickory seem like the would do well with pecan. I was thinking about mixing a little mesquite with the pecan which I suspect might be nice, but really wanted to experience the pecan. At 275 I think the chops were done in well under 2 hours so pecan seemed a good choice for a "quick" smoke and I think it was. As quick as these smoked could probably get away with 100 percent mesquite to.
Its one of my go-tos. But I have never used it on pork, I rarely eat pork other than bacon because the wife wont eat it.
I have also never mixed it with anything else, but it is one of my favorites!

Do any of you have experience with smoking chuck? Any tips? I picked up a couple hunks of chuck and would love to see if they are smokeable

Do any of you have experience with smoking chuck? Any tips? I picked up a couple hunks of chuck and would love to see if they are smokeable
very much so! read back a few pages and several of us have smoked chuck and told of our experiences.

Yes, literally the best thing ever on the smoker imo.

Dry brine over night, straight up pepper rub, maybe a little good quality chilli powder.

Smoke over cherry and mesquite for about 8 hours at 110C. You will need to wrap fairly early as it contains a lot of water.

Serve in a brioche bun with Texas style mop sauce.

It's a very easy cut to cook, if you can do brisket chuck is a breeze.

Yes, literally the best thing ever on the smoker imo.

Dry brine over night, straight up pepper rub, maybe a little good quality chilli powder.

Smoke over cherry and mesquite for about 8 hours at 110C. You will need to wrap fairly early as it contains a lot of water.
Chuck is an awesome smoker meat. I do mine very differently but it turns out great.
I do either a 2 hour dry brine or a rub/worcestershire marinade overnight.
I like a cherry and hickory blend, mesquite would be good with a bit of moderation.
Cook at 225 F until I hit internal temp of 190F -- for me this seems like 7 hours.
No foil wrap- I don't think I have ever wrapped chuck.
At 190F it slices well. Take it and eat it at this point OR.. Do burnt ends!
Cube it, put in a pan with some more dry rub and a little sauce just to make it sticky.
Put back in smoker until that sauce caramelizes, depends on how much sauce you used but I expect up to 1 hour.

If you cook it higher than 190F it will start to shred easy with a fork. Also a pretty great option for a sandwich.

Smoked goat shoulder looks pretty interesting...any dry rub or marinade?

This past Sunday I did a tray of chicken thighs and drumsticks in a home made rub for 2 hours...finished on charcoal to crisp skin.
Also had 2 cans of baked beans, 2 cans cannelleni beans in an aluminum tray for 4 hours...added 3 finely chopped jalapenos, 1 small chopped onion, and a big spoon of brown sugar in the last half hour. Really good...

TNJake, I use only a small amount of mesquite. The burnt ends sound great, I will give that a try next time I do chuck.

Maidenhead the goat came out well, check out How to BBQ right on YouTube. They have a jerk rub and glaze for pork which is what I used for the Goat. I think it would work well with a curry rub too.

Wow , thanks for the chuck replies! I’m doing it a week from Saturday . I’ll report back with the results

I've got 6 racksof baby-backs, a couple pork butts, 40lbs of chicken, misc sausages and 3 cornys (2 beers and a cider). A bmc keg as well.

I think the smoker is not going to be the only things loaded this weekend.

Shoulder of goat with a jerk glaze. Pretty epic.View attachment 627733
You are my new favorite person! Lean meats like goat do great on a smoker with a little work, and Jerk is a great choice! When I make "jerk" I can't find pimento wood easily, so i smoke over a bed of bay leaves and set some to slowly smolder in a raised box above the fire. Adds a bit of the missing flavors that make it Jamaican.

Wow , thanks for the chuck replies! I’m doing it a week from Saturday . I’ll report back with the results
I use only kosher salt and hickory-cherry mixed. Cook at 275, and pull at 190ish. They are killer. Cook a bunch because they shrink and are so good they go quick. Not sure low and to slow is best here. I have never been unhappy at 275. With any meat for that matter. Salt and pepper only. Salt only for me. Hope you post the results, best o luck.

Last edited:
I have 3 racks of pork ribs and a salmon fillet that will hit the smoker this weekend when we go camping, a long weekend at a campsite in central minnesota on a golf course and smoking some food, I think that I will smoke some deviled eggs as well, and a keg of my clone of Todd The Axe Man and everything should be ok. I think that I will cut the racks into thirds and do a mix up up different dry rubs and sauces, leaving friday, cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got 6 racksof baby-backs, a couple pork butts, 40lbs of chicken, misc sausages and 3 cornys (2 beers and a cider). A bmc keg as well.

I think the smoker is not going to be the only things loaded this weekend.

What time should I show up?

What time should I show up?
Friday through Monday. If you're in the area, pm me and I can try to drunkenly supply directions. Urban camping on a friends hillside property.

Rules:
Bring some food
Bring beer if you don't like coors light (hence my 3 kegs).
And most importantly, don't be "that guy."

Still making my food list for Memorial Day weekend but I am at least doing a brisket and jalapeno stuffed sausages.
Anyone else have something delicious in the works?

Back