Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the Lazzari Lump coal? I can get it for real cheap but that makes me a bit skeptical.

Fuel is fuel to me. It’s mesquite lump so you want to get a good, clean burning fire before you put food in the cooker. Some folks complain about the large chunks often found in their bags but I like the mix. They burn long and make for a good fire.
Smoked this point with it on the BGE yesterday & made burnt ends:
F013C1E1-E049-42BB-88F8-ACF0DC65F2EF.jpeg

28CA16BF-5095-4A50-B078-6F8274998CFB.jpeg

7583EEC2-4579-4002-A013-D892310B7795.jpeg

I did pork ribs this weekend but started eating before I remembered to take a picture. They looked great but were actually - meh-.
Absolutely needed sauce, and I hate making things that NEED sauce.
Maybe I messed them up, maybe it was my personal taste, but I will stick to beef ribs from now on.

Fuel is fuel to me. It’s mesquite lump so you want to get a good, clean burning fire before you put food in the cooker. Some folks complain about the large chunks often found in their bags but I like the mix. They burn long and make for a good fire.
Smoked this point with it on the BGE yesterday & made burnt ends:
View attachment 620005
View attachment 620006
View attachment 620007
Nice caramelization you got there.
Also, you wouldn't happen to be in Meridian, TN would you?

Is that how they make calamari, boiled and fried? Maybe smoke it, then fry it?

Haha, reminds me of, what do they say in Texas about problems, boil it, smoke it, fry it, shoot it, run it over with your truck, set it on fire and if that doesn't work its an alien.

Not sure on the calamari... But generally there's just a crap-ton of collagen in octopus, and you gotta do something.

Serious Eats says pressure cooker: https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/06/how-to-cook-tender-octopus-quick-fast-pressure-cooker.html

First reheat of tri tip. Slow on defrost setting. Was so freaking good, really like this tri tip.

lil surf & turf

B2QITAth.jpg

0UPtKbrh.jpg
Youngest 25th is next weekend. Planning on grilling a **** fak ton of jumbo shrimp. Any advice? Preparation, temp, time..etc?

Late start. It's a Corned Beef that was found deep in the freezer. Didn't de-salt it. Just going to smoke/rub as normal...225-250...then place in oven after 4-5hrs at 275. Guess we'll see..

20190406_113314.jpeg

Came out pretty good. Off the smoker at 160 to oven, @225, then out at 205. Total time was 8hrs. Used mustard/Tony's as dry rub. Texture is slightly harder then we like but not steak like, like my last brisket. Easily chewable for sure. Used Hickory/Cherry and a little Oak. Nice smoke flavor. A bit salty to me but doesn't bother wife at all. Happy for sure!
20190406_192825.jpeg

18.5 lb Waygu brisket. Smoked 10 hours with post oak then rested for 4 hours till it hit 140 and sliced. Next lvl meat.

picture.php

Here is the best part my grocery store HEB had them for sale at 4.99 a lb. That was 1.00 CHEAPER then the usda prime packer briskets I usually smoke. I picked up two, and then when I got home the wife had three racks of baby back s to throw on the smoker as well. It was a great Saturday for sure.

Here were my temps....probe 1 was the top rack of the vertical smoker. Probe 2 was the left brisket. Probe 3 was the right brisket in the barrel. Probe 4 was the air temp in the barrel between the briskets. The big spike was when I took em off to wrap. One was at 165 the other was 170. They finished at 205ish

32623635897_dc6f60f982_k.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the best part my grocery store HEB had them for sale at 4.99 a lb. That was 1.00 CHEAPER then the usda prime packer briskets I usually smoke. I picked up two, and then when I got home the wife had three racks of baby back s to throw on the smoker as well. It was a great Saturday for sure.

Here were my temps....probe 1 was the top rack of the vertical smoker. Probe 2 was the left brisket. Probe 3 was the right brisket in the barrel. Probe 4 was the air temp in the barrel between the briskets. The big spike was when I took em off to wrap. One was at 165 the other was 170. They finished at 205ish

32623635897_dc6f60f982_k.jpg
Which HEB? I'll have to check them out our next one. Salt and Time on 7th wanted like @10/lbs. Settled on 7 for Prime. Never again..

Last edited:
Lmao that’s because everyone who live downtown by 7th has millions. I got them at HEB on 79 up in Round Rock. Usually Costco has 4.99 per lb on their prime packer briskets. I was just reading your post above mine. Do you wrap your brisket? I think if you do that after the stall is over at 165-170 you might get a more tender end product.

Lmao that’s because everyone who live downtown by 7th has millions. I got them at HEB on 79 up in Round Rock. Usually Costco has 4.99 per lb on their prime packer briskets. I was just reading your post above mine. Do you wrap your brisket? I think if you do that after the stall is over at 165-170 you might get a more tender end product.
I live southwest. I'll check out Escarpment or Dripping Springs next time. After the stall, I'll usually place in turkey pan double foil with beer/onion/garlic and place in oven at 275. Just never did a corn beef before. It actually was totally fine so no complaints. Glad to see another Austinite around. Keep posting!

Last edited:
F ftw!

Sick of apple and missing my beloved hickory cherry combo I found this deal. Have really been wanting to use pecan too. And mesquite. Yes mesquite the devils arse it's been called on this thread. I read something that said use it like chili peppers. So how do you use mesquite. I am wondering 1/8 mesquite 3/8 hickory 4/8 cherry. Or maybe hickory cherry and just on chip every other load. Hope for some tips on pecan and mesquite.

Also what do you all think of that jd chips. I like them.

I have tri tip, chuck, pork butt, and ham ready on the go so haven't needed to smoke anything but man a brisket sounds nice. Salt only and 275 to finish. Cut in half. It has been nothing short of stellar. Of course it would be better over some lump though.

F ftw!

Sick of apple and missing my beloved hickory cherry combo I found this deal. Have really been wanting to use pecan too. And mesquite. Yes mesquite the devils arse it's been called on this thread. I read something that said use it like chili peppers. So how do you use mesquite. I am wondering 1/8 mesquite 3/8 hickory 4/8 cherry. Or maybe hickory cherry and just on chip every other load. Hope for some tips on pecan and mesquite.

I have tri tip, chuck, pork butt, and ham ready on the go so haven't needed to smoke anything but man a brisket sounds nice. Salt only and 275 to finish. Cut in half. It has been nothing short of stellar. Of course it would be better over some lump though.
Definitely not a mesquite expert but I like it in moderation on heavy meets. I plan on cooking with it more this summer so I have been doing some reading. Several people suggest 2/3 hickory to 1/3 mesquite. Your mix mentioned sounds sort of like a pork mix someone mentioned . I'll by run some questions by my Dad who has much more experience with it.

F ftw!

About 1/4 Mesquite to 3/4 oak. Stuff can definitely overpower.

Need some help. Can't decide between Chuck Roll or Chuck Clod. Thinking of a mass of smoked meat for a crowd.
Chuck isnt the best crowd meat imo. They really shrink and they are so killer they will go quick. I just saw Angus choice packers at Sam's for 26, couldn't afford it today because got matress topper. They prime packer was 46. So good looking. Anyways I think that would be a better bet for big crowd and pork butt or ham as well. Never seen roll or clod. I got a Safeway corned beef sale to smoke tomorrow. Am going to slice thin with e slicer. Nothing but brown sugar coating it. Idk maybe I will make a rub my usual with cinnamon, cumin, ginger, all spice whatever it is. Hickory and cherry with mesquite snuck in every other beer.

Chuck isnt the best crowd meat imo. They really shrink and they are so killer they will go quick. I just saw Angus choice packers at Sam's for 26, couldn't afford it today because got matress topper. They prime packer was 46. So good looking. Anyways I think that would be a better bet for big crowd and pork butt or ham as well. Never seen roll or clod. I got a Safeway corned beef sale to smoke tomorrow. Am going to slice thin with e slicer. Nothing but brown sugar coating it. Idk maybe I will make a rub my usual with cinnamon, cumin, ginger, all spice whatever it is. Hickory and cherry with mesquite snuck in every other beer.
Pork is out, serving on the Sabbath. It would be blasphemous for my HeBrewer buddies. Brisket is common, but have an inexpensive line on usda choice chuck clod and roll. Can't decide (or remember) if clod or roll does better on the smoker.

Pork is out, serving on the Sabbath. It would be blasphemous for my HeBrewer buddies. Brisket is common, but have an inexpensive line on usda choice chuck clod and roll. Can't decide (or remember) if clod or roll does better on the smoker.
I'm in the tribe, but not practicing. But I have been really serious about celebrating the sabbath recently, in my own ways. Whichever one is thicker would be my gut instinct answer. Ultimately it will be much easier to decide looking at them and choosing the best marbling regardless. Checking for evenness and such.

Corned beef! Only got one and shoot it could be taken down just snacking. Heavy crust of brown sugar. Washed it good. Trimmed it to about 1/8 in all around and rubbed with evoo. Then the sugar and 275 till 195. Super good. Yeah, a bit salty straight up. We usually make fried rice and in this case with tillamook swiss on a plain einsteins bagel.
20190414_190146.jpeg

Back