Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell of a job Brew. Looks delicious.
Speaking of bacon. My pork belly is thawing out tonight and getting chunked up and then rolled in cure for the week starting tomorrow.
It's going to be fun.

Rocking a late night rack of ribs. Makeshift sauce of honey, smoked pepper hot sauce and mustard. Also, I finally got to incorporate my super hot pepper powder with my rub.

I found the most limber brisket in the meat case at Wally World, a nice 13.5 pounder.

Trimmed it, sprinkled with salt, pepper, onion, and garlic (SPOG) and placed it on a Royal Oak fire at 350*F with some Mesquite wood for flavor.

When it hit 170*F internal (about 3.5 hours) I placed it in a disposable alum pan which I had to bend a bit to make it fit. Added some Stubb's as a foiling sauce.

wrapped with foil to head to the finish line

The temp alarm went off at 190*F but I poked around on it with a wood skewer and it was not ready yet. So...I reset the temp alarm for 205*F. When the alarm went off the second time I probed around with my wood skewer and it was like a hot knife thru butter. According to the iGrill, I put it on at 8:52 and it was done at 4:15. 7 hrs 23 mins total cooking time. I'll never do another low n slow brisket.

I separated the point and flat and sliced the flat for dinner.

I dressed mine with a ribbon of No5 Sauce. No need for a knife here.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have always heard of guys doing a packer brisket in less than 8 hrs hot but never believed it would be worth a ****. Pictures really are stronger than words. That there looks like a proper Texas 16hr brisket. I'm gonna have to try and duplicate it now

Finally done. Pulled off the heat when internal temp was at 205. Took 14 hours. Dang. Thought it would be done at 7:30. Well it came out great though. Thanks for the tips.

1410669079823.jpg

1410669112188.jpg

I have always heard of guys doing a packer brisket in less than 8 hrs hot but never believed it would be worth a ****. Pictures really are stronger than words. That there looks like a proper Texas 16hr brisket. I'm gonna have to try and duplicate it now

Beautiful! How'd she eat?

The spice was just perfect. Probably too hot for most but these some of the best ribs I've made. Butcher just got them, probably the best rib rack I've worked with while prepping. Plasma peeled off like butter. It no doubt had a huge effect on the result.

The missing piece top right was fell off when I slapped it on the plate. In my belly!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410671356.735854.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410671450.609266.jpg

^niiice - I trimmed up a rack of spares to a St. Louis cut today. Rubbed em' down and they're in the fridge for game day tmrw

Can't decide if I wanna smoke em on the green egg or Memphis pellet rig

Oh man, give us more details! I'd love to try that for my next smoke.

Smoked meat good, smoked meat stuffed with cheesy goodness better

We just took a loin, butterfied it, untried to pound it out some, but dunno if it made any difference honestly. Maybe just a little easier to handle. Put in a few oz cubed cream cheese, chopped onion, Colby cheese, some red and green peppers chopped, and some fresh spinach (next time I will wilt it to get some of the water out of it), sprinkled some garlic powder on stuffings (minced fresh would be better).
Rolled it shut and tied it with some butcher string lightly coated with salt and pepper and cooked it at 350-375 till about 145-160 internal. Took little over hour to hour and half.
Pretty good, really could go with almost anything.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410783045.374767.jpg

Mmm. Everything in here looks delicious. Doing a pork shoulder next weekend for pulled pork. If I remember, I'll take some pics.

Doing a turkey breast tomorrow, pics will happen if it turns out any kind of good.

I hoped to be curing some bacon today, but the pork belly phantom cleaned out both meat markets in my area.
Maybe next weekend...

Found some pork butts for $1.99/ lb. Smoked 'em...

20140920_195330.jpg

and pulled 'em.

20140921_080517.jpg

Momma and I freeze them in portions for future meals! :)

I smoked a bunch of wings last night on the WSM and then finished them on the grill to crisp up the skins. Sadly, no pictures were taken because they were demolished!

Did my first packer brisket on Sunday on the KJ. Used the 'Bludawg' method.
Turned out amazing. Having never done a brisket before, I was a little apprehensive. But this method was a piece of cake. The rub could have used a little excitement, I just did a 50/50 by weight of kosher salt/pepper. Not a thing wrong with that though!
Some mashed garlic red potatoes, some burgandy mushrooms, and juicy brisket. What a supper.

Smoked a 10 lb pork picnic shoulder on Sunday. Smoked for 14 hours and pulled the bone right out. Shredded the rest and have had 3 meals of it and gonna freeze the rest. Then my wife and I were cleaning out the chest freezer, and what do we find in the bottom? 8 lb beef brisket!

Smoked up a 10 lb shoulder. Just pulled it off to rest for later. Hickory & pecan combo, instead of all apple that I did last time. 6 hrs. 45 mins between 225-250 deg, and alarm went off set at 200. Wrapped it earlier when it hit 175, so it shall rest now until dinner time. Here's a couple pics. If the in-laws don't destroy it before I can take a pic of it all pulled, I'll add another. Made up a Carolina mustard sauce I go with it. Mmm mmm. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411848395.326504.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1411848410.100227.jpg

We'll be running the big Brinkmann smoker Friday. 6 racks of baby back ribs, cut in half and hung from the top racks; 2 whole boneless pork shoulders, rubbed; 2 corned beef briskets patted down really well with pastrami rub the night before. Anything else that catches my eye when I go to Costco tomorrow for the baby backs!

LOL! I HOPE we're not having company, passedpawn! We run that smoker once or twice a year, what doesn't finish cooking through is finished up by another method (i.e., the pork shoulders are in the roaster oven with a bottle of homebrewed porter in the bottom and will cook til 185*; the pastramis are cooling in the fridge, and tomorrow I'll vacuum-seal and then sous vide them to 180*) and once everything is done and cooled, we use the vacuum sealer to pack 'em all up in portions and then freeze. That way we can enjoy the fruits of our labors deep into the winter months.

We seldom share them with company. BUT my Dad's 89th birthday is next week and he'll be getting a "care package" of baby backs, pastrami, and some homecanned sugarfree bread & butter jalapenos!

I'm really putting off getting out of bed to throw on a pork neck I plan on smoking today.

Gonna do a quick high heat smoke on a brisket full packer tomorrow.

Thanks for saying that. I was worried I wouldn't have enough time to get the pork neck I have planned done before we have to go out to dinner with the in-laws. High heat it is for me today.

Smoked stuffed pork loin from this weekend.

Butterflied it and stuffed it with something resembling a paste made up of butter, onions, bread crumbs, cranberries, and some house cider.

Rubbed with brown sugar, a bit of cumin, and chipotle powder. Flavor was great but the texture was a bit funny. I don't think I trimmed as much fat as I would have liked.

smoked pork.jpg

Latest posts

Back